• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I bought a carbon fiber one from Reaper at the last 1500 for my glock. It's been awesome. Not as bulky as some of the others you mentioned but I've really liked it.

Has taken some practice to draw from it as it was very tight at first but it is working out nicely. Mine has the hard clips not the loops shown on the webpage, and I like the clips better.

Reaper Holsters | Custom Kydex Holsters

Dino81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Hobart
    Surprised nobody mentioned alien gear. I love mine, more than my crossbreed, or king tuck. Another perk is they're only about $35.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have always been a King Tuk guy. I Have one for my G27 and for my Shield 40. I have been carrying my shield in a King Tuk everyday for over 8 months. I like the holster and the way it contours to my body, but I'm not a fan of the belt clips. They are made of metal and have scratched my leather recliner. I traded Wesnellans for a CTAC for my wife's G42. I liked the belt clips from Comp-Tac, the holes lined up so I was on a mission to replace the clips on the King Tuk.

I have never worn the CTAC because my wife is stingy with her G42 and won't let me play with it. I did call Comp-Tac last week to talk with a tech about ordering the belt clips from them to replace the metal one's on my KT. The guy was super nice and gave me some great advise on hardware. I asked about buying the screws from them that were a little longer for the KT application. He told me that they get them from Fastenal and that I could just get them local and save on time and money. I will be making my next purchase on a IWB holster from them.

By the time I replace the belt clips on the KT I will have more money in the KT than buying a new MTAC.

Dino81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Hobart
    I've got one. I say again, MTAC.

Never tried one..but at 3x the cost, I can't see it being THAT much better. Although I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". I have expensive(ish) holsters, like I mentioned..crossbreed and king tuck, and I prefer my alien gear to either.

Needmorammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Columbus
    I have a m&p shield 9mm and carry in an aliengear and/or foxx holsters "lil fox". I love both holsters as they retain well and are both very comfortable. The aliengear is longer and uses 2 clips so it is harder to put on. The ill fox is much shorter, uses 1 clip(non-metal) and can be quickly slipped on. Both are well worth the money. Alien with black upgrade and shipping was @$41. Lil fox was $39 with free shipping and received it in only 3 days.if I could only have one of them it would be the ill fox. I have to say that I"ve never used an m-tac though.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    This is a very personal thing, so you might have to try a couple styles. The hybrid styles like MTAC and Crossbreed are a game-changer for big guns, no doubt. They are a night-and-day difference between the old leather IWB designs (like a Kramer #2) that we used to have for full-size guns. You forget how bloody uncomfortable they were (if you ever knew), but about a year ago a combination of circumstances (others sent for customizing, repair, etc) left me with just the old G22 for about a week. The first day I tried to carry IWB in that old, beautiful Kramer and it was downright miserable. The hybrids changed all that.

But they don't come without their own compromises. All that security and rigidity of carry does cause some problems. For me, the biggest one is that they are difficult to put on and take off. If you don't typically carry in your house, you're not going to quickly add this thing to your belt for a run to the Village Pantry for cigarettes. Same with changing from work clothes to 'home' clothes in the evening if you do that. Arming up with these styles is a process.

But I'm not knocking the hybrid styles. They have their place, and do extremely well. Just like there is no single best gun or size gun for every situation, there is no single best holster style for every situation. Carrying a smaller gun like the Shield means that more styles of IWB holster will "work." You're not limited to the hybrid styles. Think about how you want to carry, when you will typically be carrying, and what you will be wearing when you do. If you're the type of guy who's going to arm himself first thing in the morning and stay that way until bedtime while working a job that is mostly standing up then a hybrid might be all you ever need. OTOH, if you're a guy who has to take off his gun and leave it in the car during work, or who sits in a car all day, you might need something else like a clip-on sheath style.

ETA: After seeing needmoreammo's post about the lil Foxx, I should say that they hybrids I'm talking about above are not that. I'm talking about the double-clip, 10" wide leather backer jobs. That Lil Foxx looks cool.

Last edited:

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    I have resorted to building my own. Much easier than I would have ever thought. I can also wet form the leather to fit the gun much nicer than 90% of the off the counter holsters. I can also adjust ride height and can't to suit me. I kind of stole the style of the Don't Hume 715's with full body shields. I never would have guessed a leather IWB clip style holster so easy to put together until I tried. Cost of materials is about $12 per holster.

That being said I have a Stoner 415 IWB holster I would sell for $30. If interested PM me.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is a very personal thing, so you might have to try a couple styles. The hybrid styles like MTAC and Crossbreed are a game-changer for big guns, no doubt. They are a night-and-day difference between the old leather IWB designs (like a Kramer #2) that we used to have for full-size guns. You forget how bloody uncomfortable they were (if you ever knew), but about a year ago a combination of circumstances (others sent for customizing, repair, etc) left me with just the old G22 for about a week. The first day I tried to carry IWB in that old, beautiful Kramer and it was downright miserable. The hybrids changed all that.

But they don't come without their own compromises. All that security and rigidity of carry does cause some problems. For me, the biggest one is that they are difficult to put on and take off. If you don't typically carry in your house, you're not going to quickly add this thing to your belt for a run to the Village Pantry for cigarettes. Same with changing from work clothes to 'home' clothes in the evening if you do that. Arming up with these styles is a process.

But I'm not knocking the hybrid styles. They have their place, and do extremely well. Just like there is no single best gun or size gun for every situation, there is no single best holster style for every situation. Carrying a smaller gun like the Shield means that more styles of IWB holster will "work." You're not limited to the hybrid styles. Think about how you want to carry, when you will typically be carrying, and what you will be wearing when you do. If you're the type of guy who's going to arm himself first thing in the morning and stay that way until bedtime while working a job that is mostly standing up then a hybrid might be all you ever need. OTOH, if you're a guy who has to take off his gun and leave it in the car during work, or who sits in a car all day, you might need something else like a clip-on sheath style.

ETA: After seeing needmoreammo's post about the lil Foxx, I should say that they hybrids I'm talking about above are not that. I'm talking about the double-clip, 10" wide leather backer jobs. That Lil Foxx looks cool.

Excellent points! It would be interesting to know how many of the M-Tac and other hybrid wearers carry something as small and as light as the Shield the OP is asking about.

I was sold on the M-Tac or maybe the Tommy Theis Holster but hearing about what you have to do to put it on and take it off has me thinking something more minimal. I am that guy who will put it on to run an errand and then take it off when I get home.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Excellent points! It would be interesting to know how many of the M-Tac and other hybrid wearers carry something as small and as light as the Shield the OP is asking about.

I was sold on the M-Tac or maybe the Tommy Theis Holster but hearing about what you have to do to put it on and take it off has me thinking something more minimal. I am that guy who will put it on to run an errand and then take it off when I get home.

:n00b: Just took off my MTAC and put it back on while sitting here to make sure it's still as easy as I thought it was... Yep. I didn't even have to undo my belt. Not really sure why George has such a problem with it. :dunno:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    :n00b: Just took off my MTAC and put it back on while sitting here to make sure it's still as easy as I thought it was... Yep. I didn't even have to undo my belt. Not really sure why George has such a problem with it. :dunno:

lol! This is why I am waiting until the NRA show in April before I buy anything. Hopefully I will be able to try a lot of different holsters on!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When I carried my Glock 19, I always used my MTAC holster. There were lots of times I took it on and off, while sitting in the drivers seat of my jeep wrangler. There's not THAT much room in a jeep wrangler, and it was rather easy to take the holster on and off.

Maddog1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I look the way the MTAC looks. It also looks like it offers deep cover. What is the longevity of this holster when worn on a daily basis? Will anyone have these at the INDY 1500?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I look the way the MTAC looks. It also looks like it offers deep cover. What is the longevity of this holster when worn on a daily basis? Will anyone have these at the INDY 1500?

I've worn mine nearly at least 5 days a week for 4+ years it's a-ok. I've even "repurposed" it once from Glock to M&P. Mine is one of the original designs, so I can't order new shells for it (they changed the design slightly a couple years ago). I broke out my Kydex press and re-molded it to my M&P.

I did have one of the newer ones for my Glock 27 and it was just as nice.

Maddog1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've worn mine nearly at least 5 days a week for 4+ years it's a-ok. I've even "repurposed" it once from Glock to M&P. Mine is one of the original designs, so I can't order new shells for it (they changed the design slightly a couple years ago). I broke out my Kydex press and re-molded it to my M&P.

I did have one of the newer ones for my Glock 27 and it was just as nice.

ok, thanks. I need to get on ordering one these. I appreciate the advice and all the other options offered.

Top Bottom