• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Wanted to write a positive note about IWI.
    I was installing a Lantac Dead Air muzzle break onto my X95 and found that my first shot would have been a real tear jerker. The ground rod I use to check for alignment interfered with my Sandman S end-cap. Through a lot of pain and frustration, reading, modifying, reading, modifying, it seemed as though all factors were point to my muzzle threads not being concentric to the barrel bore.
    I varied the following factors:
    1) Jam nut position engaging the muzzle device
    2) Jam nut torque
    3) Angular rotation of the muzzle device

Adjusting these factors allowed to to understand if the problem was following either of the three or whether the rod interface remained constant (indicating the threads were non-concentric). None of the factors had a significant effect moving the interface point between the rod and muzzle device.
    Reached out to IWI and their customer service walked me thought a similar experiment. I took a lot of photos of each 'run' and was met with the same diagnosis: possible non-concentric muzzle threads relative to the barrel bore.

They sent me a label, instruction for packaging. I shipped my rifle with lantac dead air muzzle break.
    4 weeks later. I had my rifle back with a new barrel and they set/installed my muzzle break.

A pain, yes. Would it have been easier to have it right the first time, yes. But I didn't pay a dime for anything and they were very professional and timely to work with. All in all a good experience with IWI customer service.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 2b__break_near_shoulder_noJAM.JPG
      2b__break_near_shoulder_noJAM.JPG
      418.7 KB · Views: 11

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Sure is a great thing you checked! Always good to see a company taking care of their customers.

As a machinist, I don't really get how this happens. In orthopedic industry we have gauges to screw on there to verify conctricity. I've yet to find threads coming off one of our CNCs that isn't concentric. It's a first for me. I wonder if they CHF their barrels...that might explain it. Good experience.

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Sure is a great thing you checked! Always good to see a company taking care of their customers.

As a machinist, I don't really get how this happens. In orthopedic industry we have gauges to screw on there to verify conctricity. I've yet to find threads coming off one of our CNCs that isn't concentric. It's a first for me. I wonder if they CHF their barrels...that might explain it. Good experience.

They do indeed cold hammer forge their barrels. I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos in the past explaining the process of cold hammering but never thought that would affect threads. I’ll look into that as it’s something I’ve always taken for granted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    They do indeed cold hammer forge their barrels. I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos in the past explaining the process of cold hammering but never thought that would affect threads. I’ll look into that as it’s something I’ve always taken for granted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Makes more sense. CHF is kind of a madman idea that works surprisingly well. They basically have an inside out barrel profile, insert it into the barrel material and use a 360 degree hammer to smash the barrel into the shape it needs to be. I don't know, but I doubt they smash the threads onto it simultaneiosly. Which would make sense that they could be off because threading would be a second op.

Top Bottom