• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Lake county has them. And I think some of the neighboring counties do.

Please No-
    Do cars get annual checks per BMV or something? First I've heard since moving here in 09. I thought the whole state was immune.

Sorry for non related questions but this is shocking to me. CA had us smog them every frikin year and it was brutal for us that owned multiple classic cars and had to take them to special smog judges when the regular smog guys thought they were "modified" in any way for at least $200 bucks extra a piece.

BTW-
    I do NOT inform officers unless they are asking me flat out if I am carrying a gun on my person. Instead they usually ask those silly things like, "Any illegal weapons, grenades, rocket launchers, etc..." and the key word is "Illegal" at the beginning. I just say "No". All my rocket launchers are bought legally, thank you. I did have a city cop (Elkhart) see my pink slip in my wallet (my bad) after the stop was almost over and he gave my a this lecture from hell for not telling him ahead of time and threatened that if his partner had happened to see my gun through the passenger window he would have shot me and I might have been taken away in an ambulance instead of driving myself away.

I was blown of the stupidity but I had to pee so bad I just bit my tongue through it all and he finally let me go. :xmad:

Most cops (not on stops) I've met are cool and don't care much that you carry but there are too many that think disarming is mandatory and because of them, I go way out of my way NOT to inform.

And this is coming from a guy who gets stopped about every other time he leaves his little town. I don't leave much but when I do I usually get tagged. I drive a total cop magnet. I hate it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Please No-
    Do cars get annual checks per BMV or something? First I've heard since moving here in 09. I thought the whole state was immune.

Sorry for non related questions but this is shocking to me. CA had us smog them every frikin year and it was brutal for us that owned multiple classic cars and had to take them to special smog judges when the regular smog guys thought they were "modified" in any way for at least $200 bucks extra a piece.

BTW-
    I do NOT inform officers unless they are asking me flat out if I am carrying a gun on my person. Instead they usually ask those silly things like, "Any illegal weapons, grenades, rocket launchers, etc..." and the key word is "Illegal" at the beginning. I just say "No". All my rocket launchers are bought legally, thank you. I did have a city cop (Elkhart) see my pink slip in my wallet (my bad) after the stop was almost over and he gave my a this lecture from hell for not telling him ahead of time and threatened that if his partner had happened to see my gun through the passenger window he would have shot me and I might have been taken away in an ambulance instead of driving myself away.

I was blown of the stupidity but I had to pee so bad I just bit my tongue through it all and he finally let me go. :xmad:

Most cops (not on stops) I've met are cool and don't care much that you carry but there are too many that think disarming is mandatory and because of them, I go way out of my way NOT to inform.

And this is coming from a guy who gets stopped about every other time he leaves his little town. I don't leave much but when I do I usually get tagged. I drive a total cop magnet. I hate it.

Emissions check every two years.
    Don't get the check.... don't get your license plate (sticker).

https://www.dmv.com/in/indiana/emissions-testing
    [h=2]VEHICLES THAT REQUIRE AN EMISSIONS TEST[/h]A car, truck, motor home requires an emissions test when:

1. It is a 1976 model or newer.
    2. It is driven mainly in the urban areas of Clark, Floyd, Lake or Port County.
    3. It has a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 9000 pounds or less.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The piece is a complete hack job (in that it is advocacy), but these are my favorite parts:

Those who have a sidearm should not be surprised if the officer wants to disarm the person before proceeding with the investigation. Don't panic. The officer will give the gun back.

Give it back? Yes, often in pieces or unloaded so that you have to load it with I-65 as a backstop.

“I’m sure an accident can happen, but the people who are compliant are not going to be injured.”

As someone who had one of his own pistols (he only wanted to play with 1 of the 3 guns I was wearing) pointed at his genitals, I disagree with this premise.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've said it before, I'll say it again: In an encounter with police, never be the first person to use the word "gun" unless it's required by law.

I'll expnd on this. My goal is to give the officer no reason to become more nervous than he already is. Hands on top of steering wheel until told to get somethihg. In my mind, starting a conversation about guns is not something that enhances comfort. Of course, if your gun is out in the open in the car, you probably have no choice to mention it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You want me to expand "Shut. Your. Baconhole." into 500 words or so?

This used to be a Sticky in Carry Issues and Self Defence, I think:n00b:

[video=youtube;6wXkI4t7nuc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]

It is the long version of Kirk's statement.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    He is a great guy, but tends toward CC and informing unless I'm mistaken.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    This lol here there is no need to inform. Here drivers license's and permits have the same numbers. Additionally it is legal to carry a loaded handgun on your person in your vehicle with out a permit.

Where is "here"?

Because not in Indiana - just to make the clarification should someone unfamiliar with Indiana laws read this and incorrectly presume - and potentially get jammed up for carrying without a license.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    “Leave it wherever it is, tell the officer and just follow instructions,” he said. “I’m sure an accident can happen, but the people who are compliant are not going to be injured.”

So, "an accident " happens! If I'm "compliant", I won't be "injured"!?
    If I'm not compliant....?

what a bunch of crap!
    these kind of cops really think that people who start the conversation telling him they have a firearm and where it is are the ones they need to worry about?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I failed emissions last year and was pulled over twice in two different jurisdictions Griffith and Hammond I showed them my extension DL and insurance. Both knew I was carrying neither had a problem. I will not be disarmed unless placed under arrest.
    By that, do you mean you will be arrested before you will comply with the officers request/order?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Where is "here"?

Because not in Indiana - just to make the clarification should someone unfamiliar with Indiana laws read this and incorrectly presume - and potentially get jammed up for carrying without a license.
    Truth, TF. IN law allows for unloaded transport in a vehicle without a license, an improvement over the previous law that required a license even to go to the range, however, you're correct. IN law does not allow for lawful on-person carry in a vehicle on the public roads. If we can convince our legislature to hear and pass Constitutional Carry this year, that may go by the wayside, depending on the way the law is written. Start contacting legislators now, especially in districts where your rep or senator is unopposed, but also where they face opposition; how they say they will vote determines whether they get YOUR vote... and how they actually vote determines whether or not they get it again.

Blessings,
    Bill

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Emissions check every two years.
    Don't get the check.... don't get your license plate (sticker).

https://www.dmv.com/in/indiana/emissions-testing
    VEHICLES THAT REQUIRE AN EMISSIONS TEST

A car, truck, motor home requires an emissions test when:

1. It is a 1976 model or newer.
    2. It is driven mainly in the urban areas of Clark, Floyd, Lake or Port County.
    3. It has a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 9000 pounds or less.
    WTF? There is no emissions test reqirement in Floyd County.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    I've had to occasions to interact with a State LEO since I got my LTCH. The first time I was foolish and had my pink slip visible in my wallet when I opened it. He said nothing at the time, but took my license, registration back to his car and came back with my ticket for seat belt violation. He then said, "I notice you have your LTCH." I replied yes sir.. He then asked if I was armed, I said yes sir it's on my right hip.. He then gave me a short lecture of how it's better to inform the police at first contact. I thanked him and wished him a safe day. I was taking my daughter to school and didn't have time to involve myself in a inform or don't inform discussion on the side of the road.

2nd interaction was about 2 weeks after this one. Different State LEO, but once again someone wasn't wearing a seat belt. By this time I had moved my pink slip to another spot in my wallet so it wasn't visible. He took my info back to his car, came back up, handed me my $25 ticket and we went on our way. He had to know about my LTCH, but didn't say a word about it. I know few local LEO's where I live. They are all in agreement from talking to them that they don't need to know about you carrying.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    “By simply ahead of time, saying, ‘I do have a firearm; I do have a permit to carry.’ The officer is obviously going to verify those things. … And then there will likely be no issue,”
    Let me interpret that for you guy's that don't speak political cop language (Only spoken by police who are addressing the public or who have higher rank and are often in the public eye).

--As an officer that does not believe that a lowly citizen should just be able to blatantly carry around a handgun, I want you to voluntarily suspend your second and fourth amendment rights because it makes me feel more authoritative. Once you have voluntarily given me the unnecessary information, I will then take (verify) your gun, coonfinger it, and point the muzzle at you and other bystanders because I really cannot fathom that a holstered firearm is safer than one out of the holster being unloaded, disassembled, reassembled and re-loaded on the side of the road. If you allow me to do that I probably won't curb stomp you with excessive anthoritah.--

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    WTF? There is no emissions test reqirement in Floyd County.

You see, we have steel mills up here. Clearly the answer to air pollution issues is to make private vehicles be emisions tested.

...and it's under an EPA mandate that the State has been fighting for years.

Top Bottom