• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    So hopefully that got some 1911 guys in here.

Is there any difference between the full size frames I'd find on a 4" versus a 5" 1911? What about versus the 4.25?
    Could you conceivable buy a full size 1911 and a 4-4.25" barrel slide and swap out at your convenience?

I tried some google-fu and saw some jazz about "true bushings", but I don't know where they were going with it.

I am familiar with the different take down style of the 3-3.5" officer ones, if that will help with anyone explanation.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The dust cover and rails are different lengths, usually. I know that on Colts I have swapped the Officers and Commander slides around and never had any problems. Might be able to put a Commander on a Government but I've never tried it.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Normal bushing versus....the madness that officers have?

Or is there a more subtle difference I need to be on the look out for.

The original Colt design has a removable barrel bushing which is readily apparent whereas many 1911's now have bull barrels and no bushings. The slide itself mates to the barrel in place of the bushing. Clear as mud right?

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    The original Colt design has a removable barrel bushing which is readily apparent whereas many 1911's now have bull barrels and no bushings. The slide itself mates to the barrel in place of the bushing. Clear as mud right?
    Hmm...guess I've only ever had the standard bushing then. Its been Springfields, kimbers, and a couple of RIA's.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Well, some of the older models under 4.25" has bushings, I've read that they had a lot of reliability issues until they switched to the bull/bushingless system.

I believe that's why 4.25" true commanders have bushings, and 4" models (like the RIA model at centerfire) has no bushing or is a bull barrel.

I tried field stripping my officers and government metro arms models. Both recievers are identical when right next to each other.

I imagine what you want can be done, but I would have to worry about slop in the slide to frame fit though, as you aren't (probably) going to get both slides to fit the frame as well as you can say one slide.

I am not a smith, just a guy who has been researching the 1911 before buying for like a year :)

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fusion makes excellent parts and has great service!

Results for Slides

I did see them, they're a real contender.....partially because they seem to be the only game in town. Wonder how much it would cost to have a 5" taken down.....

Well, some of the older models under 4.25" has bushings, I've read that they had a lot of reliability issues until they switched to the bull/bushingless system.

I believe that's why 4.25" true commanders have bushings, and 4" models (like the RIA model at centerfire) has no bushing or is a bull barrel.

I tried field stripping my officers and government metro arms models. Both recievers are identical when right next to each other.

I imagine what you want can be done, but I would have to worry about slop in the slide to frame fit though, as you aren't (probably) going to get both slides to fit the frame as well as you can say one slide.

I am not a smith, just a guy who has been researching the 1911 before buying for like a year :)

4.25 true commander sounds like my kind of deal, if I can just find one!

I appreciate you doing the frame comparison for me as well. :ingo:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I had a Springfield Champion in the Government configuration a long time ago. One thing I noticed about it was that it was kind of picky on ammo. The loads that I made for my full size didn't function 100% in the Champion. The spring is much stiffer, and no, I didn't feel like changing it out, and needed full power ammo to make it work right.

Just one point that I noticed. That Springfield did shoot though. I put some extra parts on it, bob tail hammer, beaver tail grip safety, extended thumb safety, and all parts seemed easy to fit and funtioned well.

FWIW

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy

OP, read Kuhnhausen's books first. It's a lot of information, but there is no quick way to understand all that goes into the timing of a 1911.

Some parts can be swapped, when building. The 1911, however, is not a modular, "lego", platform. Although there are common specs, each individual pistol is a combination of unique parts that are hand-fit. The precision of this hand-fitting, is why some 1911's cost what they do, and have the name of a master gunsmith attached to them.

You may be able to "try on" different parts, but are likely to find difficulty in operation.

Top Bottom