LANGUAGE WARNING

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPkARaCVqFo&feature=g-u[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I really like the new Yeager. I agree with him. You carry a weapon to destroy threats, otherwise you are a poser. Oops, now I have done it. If I'm ever in a self defense shooting some lawyer is going to take those words and try to twist them. Oh well, you have to have the mindset to use your weapon or its just a comfort item setting on your hip. He also is right about training. My friends if you are a new shooter and you cant consistently hit the black at seven yards you need to train until you can. Then you will just have the basics down to begin training.

Good luck to us all, I hope I never have to use my weapon, but hesitation will get you or someone else killed, so train like your life depends on it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My own feelings on this particular subject are always split. Intellectually I understand both sides of the typical "argument" and agree with their points.

I know for sure I don't want to be the "dead coward".

Ideally I would be the "live hero".

But given the choice between "dead hero" and "live coward"? I dunno. That's tough.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    My own feelings on this particular subject are always split. Intellectually I understand both sides of the typical "argument" and agree with their points.

I know for sure I don't want to be the "dead coward".

Ideally I would be the "live hero".

But given the choice between "dead hero" and "live coward"? I dunno. That's tough.

Good point. I also see both sides of the argument, and I disagree with him saying that ALL people that carry should have to help others. Some carry for themselves and their family, and won't risk their family being without them (being dead) to save someone else's rear. I understand that, and I'm certainly not going to call them a coward. It's their choice to carry; it's their choice when to use it. I don't necessarily subscribe to that theory, and I would help someone else as long as it was reasonable for me to believe I could help, but I also don't have a family depending on me. :twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Unless things happened right on top of you, how would you know exactly what was going on? The good guys from the bad?

I would be more concerned about other "good guys" shooting me or visa versa. You round a corner "to save the day" and I'm already there over the neutralized BG. Who gets shot?

Not to mention, can you really make the shot or will you be shooting at the BG? What if you kill innocents in your effort to help?

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    Not being a smartass here, but which is it that separates a Live hero from a Dead hero. Luck or Training?

He says both.

First time:

Live Hero
    Mindset
    Tactics
    Gear
    Skill
    Luck
    Dead Hero
    Mindset
    Tactics
    Gear
    Skill
    [STRIKE]Luck[/STRIKE]

Then at the end he says the difference is "training".

I would consider training to encompass mindset, tactics and skill. :dunno:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Not being a smartass here, but which is it that separates a Live hero from a Dead hero. Luck or Training?

He says both.

First time:

Live Hero
    Mindset
    Tactics
    Gear
    Skill
    Luck
    Dead Hero
    Mindset
    Tactics
    Gear
    Skill
    [STRIKE]Luck[/STRIKE]

Then at the end he says the difference is "training".

I would consider training to encompass mindset, tactics and skill. :dunno:

Yeah, I caught that too. I guess he didn't figure he could drum up much business by saying luck was going to be the difference. Guess they don't have a "Tactical Luck Training" course. :D

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    As I've gotten older, I have backed down from the "I will protect those around me" stance quite a bit. Mostly due to responsibility.

I view it as my responsibility to be well trained, in the game, and able to manage to the best of my abilities (and within my financial means) the safety of my person and my family. I've grown to think that the people around me have the option to do the same, or to assume bad things wont happen to them. They are choosing for themselves.

Should I step into harms way to save them because they have chosen not to protect themselves?

Obviously there are no hard and fast rules here. If someone is unable to protect themselves that presents another set of circumstances...

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Yeah, I caught that too. I guess he didn't figure he could drum up much business by saying luck was going to be the difference. Guess they don't have a "Tactical Luck Training" course. :D

He meant both. There is a saying in football (I played and coached), a good team creates its own breaks.

In James's argument, you train to create your own luck.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    As I've gotten older, I have backed down from the "I will protect those around me" stance quite a bit. Mostly due to responsibility. Dsgnr_81
    Agreed you cant unkill some one and you cant forget killing, you will probably think about it everyday for the rest of your life. They have the same access to relevant info about the dangers of the world we live in as you do. You have chosen to be more prepared for more situations by carrying, they could have also. IT IS NOT YOUR DUTY it is however in your ability. It will affect your family forever though either way

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    As I've gotten older, I have backed down from the "I will protect those around me" stance quite a bit. Mostly due to responsibility. Dsgnr_81
    Agreed you cant unkill some one and you cant forget killing, you will probably think about it everyday for the rest of your life. They have the same access to relevant info about the dangers of the world we live in as you do. You have chosen to be more prepared for more situations by carrying, they could have also. IT IS NOT YOUR DUTY it is however in your ability. It will affect your family forever though either way

True, but how will I look at my boys who both know I carry 24/7 (if legal) knowing that I stood by and did nothing?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    True, but how will I look at my boys who both know I carry 24/7 (if legal) knowing that I stood by and did nothing?

Your responsibility to your boys is to do your best to live to raise them. Everything else is secondary, especially unnecessary risk.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana

For the record, there's a lot of gray in these situations and every scenario would be up for debate. However, at the end of the day, my responsibility is to myself and my family. If I can explain my situation to my kids then I've survived to provide for them. If I need to tell them why I chose to take someones life because they were about to or in the process of hurting someone else, I can do that too. If I have to explain why I had to take someones life because they were about to hurt me or mine, easy. :dunno:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Good video.

Courage is not the lack of fear. It's the ability to face your fears. I cannot stand morally by and watch innocents get hurt knowing I have/had the ability to do something about it. That is a personal moral question every gun owner/carrier must answer for themselves and hope that they make the right decision because that decision will haunt them the rest of their life.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Did he just say that a guy who runs away instead of dying like a hero is a sh*tbag?

I'm guessin' things are slow at work for him right now? He must figure stirring the pot will generate attention which has probably generated business in the past?

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Thats a personal call. If there is any chance of an up and coming something to prove DA making a name for theirself on your shooting then you may very well become bankrupt and homeless. They dont refund your legal fees when you proove you where in the right. I agree Evil prevails when good men do nothing. It takes a special kind of person to risk theyre life for a stranger, if you loose, who protects your family tommorow?? IN the moment youll have to make such a decision you wont have time to consider all this. I carry for the protection of my family I personnally am unable to take on the extra responsibility of protecting all around me. But if i change my mind at least I'll be armed.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Thats a personal call. If there is any chance of an up and coming something to prove DA making a name for theirself on your shooting then you may very well become bankrupt and homeless. They dont refund your legal fees when you proove you where in the right. I agree Evil prevails when good men do nothing. It takes a special kind of person to risk theyre life for a stranger, if you loose, who protects your family tommorow?? IN the moment youll have to make such a decision you wont have time to consider all this. I carry for the protection of my family I personnally am unable to take on the extra responsibility of protecting all around me. But if i change my mind at least I'll be armed.
    My wife has learned first hand the need for training and awareness. I share my knowledge with her and work with her on training as often as possible and she carries every day, just as I. I've focused on preparing her to be able to protect herself rather than relying on me to be there at all times and she prefers it that way too.

She can handle her own. I've not met many women I can say that about. She knows how I am and would not question my going to help others in time of need. I, however, could not live the rest of my life looking in her face and trying to demonstrate being an HONORABLE man to my future son knowing that I chose to do nothing when I had the ability to choose otherwise. :twocents:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ok, this one works for me. Reminds me of two life quotes:

"You are, what you do, when it counts."

“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”

Am I a hero type? Nope.
    Am I going to save as many as I can? Yes.

Top Bottom