• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Huh. Not planning on running any APEX parts. With his thoughts on legal issues, does makes sense.

I hated the factory trigger on my old M&P.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Huh. Not planning on running any APEX parts. With his thoughts on legal issues, does makes sense.

I hated the factory trigger on my old M&P.

I hear that brought up from time to time and then I here others saying that a justified shoot is a justified shoot whether the gun is modified or not.

Can some of you lawyers on here comment on how it would affect you in a courtroom?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :wow: that guy pointed a gun at me!! ;)

gregkl it's not so much the criminal trial but the civil trial where reloaded ammo (ie. hot loads) and modified guns that will be used against you to paint you as a 'gun nut' that is out looking for trouble.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I hear that brought up from time to time and then I here others saying that a justified shoot is a justified shoot whether the gun is modified or not.

Can some of you lawyers on here comment on how it would affect you in a courtroom?

How the shooting occurs matters far, far more than the modifications the gun has.

:wow: that guy pointed a gun at me!! ;)

gregkl it's not so much the criminal trial but the civil trial where reloaded ammo (ie. hot loads) and modified guns that will be used against you to paint you as a 'gun nut' that is out looking for trouble.

Partially true. However, if the shooting is justified and the criminal portion either gets dismissed or you get a verdict in your favor, that goes a very long way towards mitigating claims made on the civil side of the law. Not that it bars a suit, but it does take a lot of steam out of the other sides argument. Truthfully the crossover between civil and criminal law is rather complex, and I won't parse my thoughts on that out to keep my opinion brief.

Those are my thoughts, and they should not be considered legal advice. Nor should anything offered up on a forum. If you truly want legal counsel on the matter, ask (read: pay) a lawyer. Each case is going to turn on its own set of facts though, so don't expect a black and white answer--you won't get one.

Last edited:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How the shooting occurs matters far, far more than the modifications the gun has.

Partially true. However, if the shooting is justified and the criminal portion either gets dismissed or you get a verdict in your favor, that goes a very long way towards mitigating claims made on the civil side of the law. Not that it bars a suit, but it does take a lot of steam out of the other sides argument. Truthfully the crossover between civil and criminal law is rather complex, and I won't parse my thoughts on that out to keep my opinion brief.

Those are my thoughts, and they should not be considered legal advice. Nor should anything offered up on a forum. If you truly want legal counsel on the matter, ask (read: pay) a lawyer. Each case is going to turn on its own set of facts though, so don't expect a black and white answer--you won't get one.

And this my friends, is how we know that my buddy Blueboxer is a lawyer. :laugh:

His thoughts are pretty solid, and he's a smart guy. That being said, I'm not a lawyer, but I wouldn't think twice about using a "modified" gun to defend myself. Here in IN the law does favor the victim (read: the guy defending himself against an unwarranted attack) quite well, and juries from non-insane areas aren't likely to look at a trigger modification meant for better target shooting as motive to kill.

Haven't watched the video yet......
    He'd better not profane the name of the M&P the way he does the 1911.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I like the part where he tells what would make him give up his Glocks entirely. :eek:

but we know they'll never do that, because they sized them between the Glocks.

Wonder why he doesn't like the 9c? :dunno:

I like the Shield for summer carry, and my modded M&P9 with Apex is nice for USPSA, but I still carry my G19 with no mods.

Now... when they start putting the new trigger from the Shield into the rest of the M&P's...

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Interesting comment in the vid about how the M&9c falls between the Glock 19 and Glock 26. He's right about the size.
    That's one of the reasons why I wound up with the 9c, after doing a lot of comparison shopping between Glocks, Springfields and the Smiths. Worked out perfectly for me. There's something for everyone out there.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Good video. Not really impressed with him pointing gun at camera. I realize it's not a safety issue, but I don't think models proper safety technique.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I actually think Smith did their research and got it right in regards to the sizing on their guns. The "Full Size" is just a hair bigger then a Glock 19 and just a little smaller then a Glock 17. That little extra length on the grip makes reloading a little more positive when compared to a G19.

I actually feel that the G26 is a bit small and some people complain that the G19 is too big. So why not split the middle?

Overall the Glock 19/23 and M&P sized guns are a good balance of shootability and concealability.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    How would they know if your gun is modded? If they even asked, my answer would be, "It's just the way I bought it from the gun shop." As far as reloads go, same thing. Q: What did you shoot him with? A: Golden Sabers. Q: Where did you get them from? A: The store. As long as your brass all has the same head stamp, can they honestly prove you wrong? Especially if you make a point of only having empty brass for them to look at. Next Q: Why did you shoot him 15 times? A: I panicked. It's not like I shoot people every day and the crazy ba****d was trying to kill me. Legal, but probably not a good answer: I only pulled the trigger for 1 second. I just forgot the switch was set on FA. My bad. :D IANAL so take it for what it's worth.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    How would they know if your gun is modded? If they even asked, my answer would be, "It's just the way I bought it from the gun shop." As far as reloads go, same thing. Q: What did you shoot him with? A: Golden Sabers. Q: Where did you get them from? A: The store. As long as your brass all has the same head stamp, can they honestly prove you wrong? Especially if you make a point of only having empty brass for them to look at. Next Q: Why did you shoot him 15 times? A: I panicked. It's not like I shoot people every day and the crazy ba****d was trying to kill me. Legal, but probably not a good answer: I only pulled the trigger for 1 second. I just forgot the switch was set on FA. My bad. :D IANAL so take it for what it's worth.

So you would lie under oath in a courtroom? It would not take much to examine the gun and the rounds to determine what was done to it. Do you think if you shoot someone they will let you keep the gun?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    So you would lie under oath in a courtroom? It would not take much to examine the gun and the rounds to determine what was done to it. Do you think if you shoot someone they will let you keep the gun?

Like Massad Ayoob said about lying in court... "suck one ****, you're a ****sucker for life"

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Who said it was a lie? Maybe I did buy it that way. My point being that just because it's had work done doesn't mean you did it or even knew. As for the reloads. I did buy them at the store and they're Golden Saber. Not a lie. Just because I assembled them doesn't mean squat.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Who said it was a lie? Maybe I did buy it that way. My point being that just because it's had work done doesn't mean you did it or even knew. As for the reloads. I did buy them at the store and they're Golden Saber. Not a lie. Just because I assembled them doesn't mean squat.

Good luck with that approach.

Top Bottom