Jan '12 1500: Indy 1500 good riddance or can't wait til next show?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    This show has certainly drawn a lot of fire for being mostly sizzle and no steak in recent years. What do you say, are you going to stick to your resolution to not attend the next one or do you think you will do an Terminator impersonation and "BE BACK"? If not, what do you plan on doing to fill the gun show void? If so, what do you hope for at the next show?

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I don't like crowds and I hate the commie "unload your guns here" attitude at the 1500. I've not been in 5 years and do not see myself going back. I'll choose to support the brick and mortar stores that are there when I need them, not a "dealer" that is at a circus a few times a year.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

I always enjoy going to gunshows when-ever or where-ever I can, even if I'm not looking for something in particular. I'm also not one to whine about entrance fees, parking fees or gas money, because the way I see it- more money is often spent going to the movies, eating out for dinner or spending my hard earned cash on other more meaningless crap, than it is going to a gunshow. Heck, it even costs me approx. $100/trip just go snowmobiling for the day in South Bend when you figure in transportation gas money both ways, high octane sled gas money, time away from work and eating out while I'm there.

To me, it's just the price of entertainment I'm willing to pay, to do something I like, with the hobbies I enjoy!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This show has certainly drawn a lot of fire for being mostly sizzle and no steak in recent years.

Drawn fire? By whom?

Sour grapes, my friend, sour grapes. You'll always have that griping. I mean you don't go to the gun show looking for a great deal on a SR9 or Glock from Gunomart. You look at the people, not the tables. Your fellow patrons have the best deals (usually).

I don't like crowds and I hate the commie "unload your guns here" attitude at the 1500.

Crowds=more people with more deals. More opportunity.

Unloading your guns: Did you see how they handle their weapons in there? Complete disregard of the Four Rules and yet you cannot hit them with framing hammers. I ate so many muzzles I had to brush my teeth after the show.

"I drove 60 miles to eat a muzzle.":D

Got to play to lowest common denominator from their perspective.

I just wish they had a fiddle area with sand bags or barrels.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Ill go back. Support Brad's Knives and Knife Lady for one thing... Something to do for another thing... Somewhat easier to compare prices and guns side by side or under the same roof... Pretty easy to find someone selling private... no paperwork.

People watching can be fun as well, just gotta plug your nose sometimes.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I don't handle my carry gun, and it does not go off by itself. Or atleast it hasnt yet.
    Now if I were to bring a gun to sell it I would have no issue with making sure it was unloaded. Heck I would have checked it several times at home before I walked out the door with it. And if the place I am going does not have like minded people at it, I have no use in attending.

majohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    It was so crouded i could not enjoy. need more space between tables. This was a waste of time. They needed more room or not as many venders.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Gun shows in general have mostly died. The Internet is a better, faster, easier method of both buying and selling and you can do so for better prices than found at the dying gun shows. Back in the day, gun shows were just that....gun shows. Today? 98% of the exhibitors are selling trinkets. The few gun dealers there are asking insane prices to cover an ever-increasingly high cost to exhibit. More and more, people are figuring out that they can get the same thing for a lot less money off the Internet.

The Indy 1500, like any other gun show, is a relic of the past. If you like going to them for the nostalgia, then enjoy them while you can. Their days are numbered.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Gun shows in general have mostly died. The Internet is a better, faster, easier method of both buying and selling and you can do so for better prices than found at the dying gun shows. Back in the day, gun shows were just that....gun shows. Today? 98% of the exhibitors are selling trinkets. The few gun dealers there are asking insane prices to cover an ever-increasingly high cost to exhibit. More and more, people are figuring out that they can get the same thing for a lot less money off the Internet.

The Indy 1500, like any other gun show, is a relic of the past. If you like going to them for the nostalgia, then enjoy them while you can. Their days are numbered.

:dunno:

You clearly didn't attend. There are some trinkets, but not as many as their used to be. There were a TON of people and a TON of guns being sold. So I highly doubt they're dying anytime soon. :twocents:

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Last year I made it to every single one, mostly because I was always looking for something specific. I definitely will not be going to every one in the future, mostly because of the crowds and most of what I look for I can find online for a similar or better price.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    :dunno:

You clearly didn't attend. There are some trinkets, but not as many as their used to be. There were a TON of people and a TON of guns being sold. So I highly doubt they're dying anytime soon. :twocents:

There were certainly a ton of people, and it seemed that most of them wanted to stand between me and the tables I was trying to look at while playing with their hair, phone, boyfriends butt, ect. I wouldnt be upset if it were someone genuinely interested in buying a gun, but it gets old when you are dodging the 10 year old kids at the table fondling every gun he can get his hands on just to get a look at what I was interested in buying.

I cant say I wont attend any more gun shows, but the 1500 is probably not going to be one of them. 2x the entry as most shows, 2x as many people, and the isles between the booths are half as wide. If I cant find it at the Tipton show, I will look at the local gun stores or the 'net.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Haven't been able to attend for about three years now and really do miss it, at times. Biggest reason for me is that no matter how early I get there, there doesn't ever seem to be a "Handicapped" parking spot available and I end up way the-hell-and-gone from the entrance. Hate to admit it, but even with my cane I just can't handle a quarter-mile walk plus forty-five minutes of standing in line anymore.

Also agree with Kirk about being constantly muzzle-swept. I know the quarters are close and crowded, but Jeez folks: that's exactly when staying acutely concious of your surroundings and insisting upon absolute adherance to the Four Rules matter the most.

Irks the whee! outta me, and IMHO the "framing hammer response" might well act to reduce that a bit. IIRC, there was at least one ND reported at each of the last two 1500 shows I attended. Might not be able to "fix" other folks' stupid, but sure as H--l would resent having to pay the price for it.

Always enjoyed the opportunity for being able to actually see some of the things, new and old, that I'd only read and heard about or seen in photographs before, even if I could only dream about owning one. And every now and then I'd run across something nifty at a price I could afford, which was some nice gravy.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Need a separate show for the trinkets. Just guns, knives, and ammo would make me happy. Way too many vendors and not enough room to walk. I was thinking sunday would be a slower but it was not. I just went to pick up a gun I dropped off last time and to look around. Did not do much looking around.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Also agree with Kirk about being constantly muzzle-swept. I know the quarters are close and crowded, but Jeez folks: that's exactly when staying acutely concious of your surroundings and insisting upon absolute adherance to the Four Rules matter the most. .....

Had a guy walk right in front of me while I was setting down....
    He was carrying what I believed to be a walther ppk....
    He was holding it sideways and with the barrel pointed toward my face
    he was fiddling with the hammer and trigger.....
    I could see the strap, but still he was oblivious to his surroundings.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    There seem to be more pets there this time around. A big dog enjoyed barking at folks while they walked by. I love my two dogs (so I'm not a dog hater), but question the need for them in such a crowded place.

The show producer needs to rent a larger building or do something. I felt like all I got out of it was exercise from all the walking, oh... and a lesson in patiences while I waited my turn to squeeze through the crowd.

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Had a guy walk right in front of me while I was setting down....
    He was carrying what I believed to be a walther ppk....
    He was holding it sideways and with the barrel pointed toward my face
    he was fiddling with the hammer and trigger.....
    I could see the strap, but still he was oblivious to his surroundings.

Am I wrong or was there an accidental discharge at a 1500 show last year? Somehow by a miracle it didn't hit anyone is the story. Can anyone confirm this either way?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom