• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    A friend of mine went with me to willow Slough this morning....although it was cold the shoot went well.

We talked with the RO for a bit, he said he was a member here at INGO though i didn't catch his name.
    Very nice guy....wish we had him at Winimac...

Anyway....Jedi.....since you are the contact between the Winimac DNR and INGO....

Why aren't we doing the same thing they are over there as far as using chicken wire fence instead of plywood?

They use clothes pins to hold the targets on.....this is very effective and way less expensive then buying plywood all the time.

It would save INGO money for other things, such as Nathans hotdogs instead of the cheap ones...LOL :D

Sorry i didn't get a picture....but just imagine posts up about every 5 feet with chicken fence tacked to it across all the posts.

Just a suggestion.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I thought we were getting free plywood now.

Even if we were getting free stuff KLB....seems it would be easier to haul a roll of chicken fence to the shoots then plywood.

I was just asking anyway, i didn't know if it had been suggested or not.

Either way...the shoots are fun !! :rockwoot:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I hate the chicken wire. On a windy day you need to use 4 cloths pins to hold it and if you are cheap like me I print my own targets and they tear easly in the wind.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I thought ours were going to blow away today also....seeing as how there is no tree cover or anything else for that matter.
    It's all open out there....and the wind picked up pretty bad today, but the pins held great.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Not sure why you would have a problem with the plywood. I always take a staple gun with me, works great. Target doesn't move. I prefer the Winamac range because of the plywood.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    As far as "why" one range uses chicken wire and another uses plywood, probably because "that is the way it has been since that range was built" is the likely answer.

Each range in this state appears to be different. Some are pretty well built with baffles, nice tables, etc while others are just a step up from a field in front of a backstop.

FWIW, I prefer the plywood target backing at the range and use a staple gun. On my personal range I use plastic lumber because I tore if off of an old deck and simply reused it. Totally weatherproof.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    My reason for the comment in the first place was a curiosity thing i guess.....figuring INGO/members could save money from having to buy the stuff.

If everyone doesn't mind it....then so be it.

I will shoot either way.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    My reason for the comment in the first place was a curiosity thing i guess.....figuring INGO/members could save money from having to buy the stuff.

If everyone doesn't mind it....then so be it.

I will shoot either way.

You don't have to donate anything for plywood. I did it because I feel that it use to give us some advantages and leeway but not so much anymore.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    You don't have to donate anything for plywood. I did it because I feel that it use to give us some advantages and leeway but not so much anymore.

I know we don't have to donate....i have in the past to do my part.

Oh, and FWIW, I tend to bring JUMBO hot dogs and/or sausages when I show up at the Meet & Shoots and have never asked anyone for any $/donations to offset my costs.

What a great guy you are for bringing the big dogs, and not asking for any money.....that was a joke in my post if you didn't notice the --- > :D

You guys are missing the point of my post......it was JUST a question.
    Not a vote to make them change it....sheesh.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I do believe he's right.

Using chicken wire makes perfect since.
    So when it's windy and you get tired of using clothes pins, we could attach some plywood to it. :D

Oh....Wait.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I always bring a roll of free duct tape to the range for chicken wire, A piece in the middle on top and bottom does wonders and then use a couple of the clothes pins on the middle sides to fight the wind. Oh, and "free" duct tape is from the steel mills, call whatever buddy u have that works in one and ask for a roll , ;)

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Each range in this state appears to be different. Some are pretty well built with baffles, nice tables, etc while others are just a step up from a field in front of a backstop.

As far was why the various DNR ranges are different, I think some have been refurbished with funds from the Federal excise tax on firearms and ammunition. Fro example, the ranges at Atterbury and Huntington I believe were rebuilt that way. And they are very nice, staffed and safe, controlled places to shoot.

My only issue with that type of range is that, essentially, they are "benchrest only" ranges. Or benchrest and offhand-standing only ranges... As far as I know, there is no provision for prone or "field shooting" positions and practice.

Maybe they'd allow it? I don't know and have never asked... But my guess is they don't from what I've seen of the rules and conduct of the RO's.

Top Bottom