• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A) A Liberty is not nearly the same build quality as most any truck
    B) Alignment is absolutely a maintenance item, IMHO.

Toe, caster, and camber can change with just normal driving. Bushings compress, bearings wear, and even solid metal parts can stretch/bend, still be well within their service life, and still impact alignment and drivability.

Example: The camber on my Jeep TJ is set by tightening an offset bolt. The compression of the bolt/nut is all that holds it. Even with NO offroad use, and only about 10K miles, the camber adjustment had "slipped" 2 degrees. Enough to induce the infamous "Death Wobble". Nothing was worn out at all, and simply setting the camber back makes it good until the NEXT time.

Before we traded my wife's Saturn, we had all the alignment records (now shredded). It's toe would change by almost a degree every year or so. All parts were absolutely tight, but it still managed to change. Quick alignment, and back in business.

Now, I agree we shouldn't NEED to do this so frequently.

Almost 10 years and over 100,000 miles on my Silverado- never had an alignment, no abnormal tire wear, tracks straight and true. For vehicles made in the last 15 years, this should be the rule, not the exception. Alignments are not a maintenance item. Without excessive wear (which calls for part replacement) or damage, you should not need regular alignments.

A division of Chrysler. Nuff said.

I believe there are some shops that offer lifetime alignments for one flat fee up front... (looks like Firestone has this Offer: Lifetime Alignment | Firestone Complete Auto Care )

that said, some dealers (toyota does, not sure about Chrysler/Jeep), offer free alignment checks.

Just be sure you go to someone you trust, otherwise, they will milk that alignment for a bunch of other work that may or may not need done.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Almost 10 years and over 100,000 miles on my Silverado- never had an alignment, no abnormal tire wear, tracks straight and true. For vehicles made in the last 15 years, this should be the rule, not the exception. Alignments are not a maintenance item. Without excessive wear (which calls for part replacement) or damage, you should not need regular alignments.

A division of Chrysler. Nuff said.

Bah!

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I would check the air pressure in all 4 tires, and take a good look at the tires for uneven wear patterns. And if it's satisfactory I would take it to a reputable front end shop and see what they say.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have an aftermarket lifetime warranty (it was a gift--- not something I would have done) and am limited to using the dealership for repairs. I've got an appointment on Tuesday to have them look at it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had the same issues in a Ford we had. 50K on the clock and it had the wanders.
    Just a wee bit of slop in the steering box. Adjusted it and off to the races.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm with CM on this if suspension hardware checks out. Play in the steering box/actuator leads to a form of 'porpoising', the lag in response to input always has you chasing center steer and it can become critically damped or underdamped ( an increasing excursion about center steer)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I drive a Jeep. I am not a Jeeper. It's what I drive, not who I am. ;)

That's good. Use of the word as oither than a brand name can have ...unintended ... consequences. To people of my background, 'jeeping' means stepping out on your spouse or lover; so I always get an internal chuckle when folks use that particular formulation

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not necessarily. It's just that "Not a real Libertarian" and "Not a Jeep" invoke visions of a similar level of purity testing

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    SD, is it possible, with the temperature swings we've had this winter, you've just got low air pressure in one or both tires? Lug nuts tight? Just thinking of cheap and easy stuff to look at.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've checked the pressure and it's good. Haven't checked the lug nuts, but I'm assuming since the dealership put new tires on in the fall, they're tight. I'm taking it in on Tuesday to have it looked at and most likely get a front end alignment. Hopefully that will take care of it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Is this the famous Jeep death wobble? Not sure if the Liberty has the same jeep front end. Usually kicks in between 40-45 miles an our and if you are brave speed up a little and the wobble usually goes away or slow down about 5 and same thing. Doesn't always happen. Replacing the tie rod ends and and ball joints etc helps some but that wobble is a jeep thing. Google it. There is a kit that adds a damper to the steering.

My buddy's jeep has the wobble. I think it has 60ish K miles now and has had it for years. We replace the front end a few summers back and it got better but will do it when it gets a mind too. He has not added the fit kit yet.

Top Bottom