• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok I am out shooting at my range. When my least favorite neighbor comes over. Never saw eye to eye with him. Long story short I let him shoot a few rounds with my favorite 1911. In an effort to be civil. He came close to hitting the target. I resist temptation to tell him how he sucked. Thinking it would not hurt to make an effort to find common ground. I am not a teacher by any means I learned to shoot by reading books. So what advice do you give for someone to improve with out sounding like a know it all?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Ok I am out shooting at my range. When my least favorite neighbor comes over. Never saw eye to eye with him. Long story short I let him shoot a few rounds with my favorite 1911. In an effort to be civil. He came close to hitting the target. I resist temptation to tell him how he sucked. Thinking it would not hurt to make an effort to find common ground. I am not a teacher by any means I learned to shoot by reading books. So what advice do you give for someone to improve with out sounding like a know it all?

Perhaps wait for them to ask how to be better? For the moment, as long as they're safely operating the firearm, maybe just enjoy shooting with them.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I resist temptation to tell him how he sucked. So what advice do you give for someone to improve with out sounding like a know it all?

Just hand him your 12 gauge.
    He'll hit more and you'll make him smile.

or

Have him bring his wife over too. She'll tell him he sucks for you. (that came out wrong) :n00b:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Perhaps wait for them to ask how to be better? For the moment, as long as they're safely operating the firearm, maybe just enjoy shooting with them.

Well he did ask. The answer I gave was it is not as easy as it looks. Again resisting temptation. I think he felt stupid when I about put all 8 through the same hole. Did I say how much I love my SR1911. Not sure if there are some videos out there? or maybee I should just tell him in my opinion Massad Ayoob writes a lot of helpful stuu.

mjlcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I never give advice to anyone who does not ask for it. Learned that lesson many years ago.

I totally agree. Unless they ask for it, you're wasting your breath. Have him over every once in a while, you might have more in common than you think. It never hurts to have another neighbor to keep an eye in your house when you're not around.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thumbs up for encouraging social tranquility. It's always best to try to be neighborly. It's also good to be on good terms with a neighbor that can defend his/her self.
    I don't give advice to a gun person unless they ask.
    I will give advice and mentor a noob that knows nothing about a gun though. I let them know up front

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I usually say, "I used to do that too, until somebody showed me the trick to great hits... wanna know?"

Great approach. Spoken like a true teacher JetGirl.

Thanks...!

I never give advice to anyone who does not ask for it.

Unless they ask for it, you're wasting your breath.

I don't give advice to a gun person unless they ask.

And that's pretty much why I leave the option open-ended by asking if they want to know.
    Sometimes people say they don't want/need any "advice" but they're always up for a "tip" or a "trick".
    It can be as simple as how you word it.
    And for the ones that flat out turn everything down, that open-ended invitation is usually taken after a target or two...

It's not that I know any great secret...I just relay & repeat what I was taught. Basically, just the fundamentals.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I'm not sure I would let someone I really don't like burn through my ammo. And I would make sure that he sees how good I do shoot, just to let him know in not so many words,maybe he should be nice when he's around me and my house.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just my personal take on it, but I'd find it more important to continue building that "common ground" and be less concerned with his shooting ability. Invite him over for more shooting. Since you learned to shoot by books, give one or two to him free simply saying "I learned a lot from these." Such a jesture would help both the relationship and his shooting ability. :twocents:

jaeisber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Westfield
    Rule #1: Never give a firearm to someone you consider "jerky" and that you "never saw eye to eye with".

Ha, this...The start of your post did not finish the way I expected it to.

I've been over to a buddy's house a few times shooting. He has a negihbor that dislikes his family very much...but usually it ends up with the neighbor calling the police. Naturally, they don't say a word to us and instead threaten the neighbor since we are within our legal rights.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I'm not sure I would let someone I really don't like burn through my ammo. And I would make sure that he sees how good I do shoot, just to let him know in not so many words,maybe he should be nice when he's around me and my house.

Agreed the only time I provide any ammo is when there are children who want to learn to shoot with their parents permission and usually they want to learn as well. As I had said I am no expert, I just know the basics and have practiced enough times that i am usually spot on. I think that is was kind of annoyed him.. Again I made no comments about his ability just that it is not as easy as it looks. Good news he is not with in walking distance our property just meets up with his on the next road over.

So maybe I will let him borrow a book or two. Maybee he will come over again who knows

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I fire a couple mags at the target writing the word "bullseye" with my shots. Then I ask the person I'm with to look through the spotting scope and tell me how I'm doing. Once they look through the scope they usually ask "how did you do THAT"! I say I don't know, it's hard as hell to shoot with my eyes closed like that.

Top Bottom