• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This morning I heard Hogsett say on the news that he was frustrated with the increase in the murder rate in Indianapolis. Not two weeks ago, I was told the murder rate in Indianapolis is down.

Who's lying?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    So being a partner at Bose McKinney & Evans isn't a "real" job? Kirk, I always thought B M & E was one of the top firms in the area, is Joe now slumming it?

YES, it is, it's Political Bone and I'm so glad that You do not Vote in Indiana

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I love all of my metro boys in blue, but it doesn't matter who the mayor is when it come to the crime problem up there.

You could double the salary of every LEO and hire a ton more... it's not going to cure the cancer of those crime ridden areas... that issue is much deeper.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sounds like a lot of you are too young to remember the Bayh, O'Bannon, Hogsett, Petersen erra? Or the years it took the state/city to recover from that liberal administrative/financial nightmare?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How would Joe Hoggsett be worse than Ballard? For one thing, he's a Democrat. That means he'll give lip service to Public Safety while failing to put a muzzle on City-County Council spending, hastening our devolution to Detroit status. I'm not as fond of Ballard as I used to be and I don't agree with some of the ways he's spent money, but I don't think IMPD needs to emulate Chicago PD or NYPD in numbers, either. Much as I like you guys, having more cops than required to equalize losses to retirement/resignations isn't going to solve our crime problems; those are cultural and systemic problems. While I don't want to pay for any more stadia or bike lanes or electric cars, neither do I want to pay for more cops in the county.

Ballard is all lip service, too. Unless you think day care for 4 year olds is really a public safety issue. He's more than willing to spend money on his own pet projects. The amount of waste for the ROC is a good place to start, as well as the whole Frank Straub debacle and all the money he wasted on useless staff, office renovation, etc. etc.

We aren't even keeping pace with retirements and other attrition. There is no area of the city that has as many patrol officers today as it had before the merger. I would guess there are few areas under the old County beats that have the same or more coverage, either. Areas that used to run 4-6 officers now run half that. Population doesn't stand still, and places like Franklin township aren't just cow pastures any longer.

More cops isn't the whole answer, but its absolutely part of the solution. Fewer patrol officers equals fewer apprehensions. Shortages on the street equal shortages in Investigations, as slots can't be filled because the street is running at minimum. 4 detectives working where 7 used to, and with a higher case load = a lower clearance rate AND burn out as guys get fed up with the conditions and pressure and start shutting down and/or moving on.

Top Bottom