• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    A Thompson submachine gun that John Dillinger's gang stole from a northeastern Indiana police station more than 80 years ago has been returned, finally, and will go on display. It rests March 6, 2014 at the DeKalb County Courthouse during a ceremony in Auburn, Ind. The gun has an estimated value of up to $1 million. More pictures and detail at: http://www.indystar.com/media/cinematic/gallery/6141797/john-dillinger-gangs-gun-returns-to-indiana/

1394150739003-Dillinger-Gun-INWAY102-WEB795601.jpg

Last edited:

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Holy Cow.... Wonder what the FBI guy on the right is thinking?

Auburn, Ind., Mayor Norm Yoder holds the Thompson submachine gun stolen from the Auburn city jail by John Dillinger's gang in 1933 during a ceremony March 6, 2014 at the DeKalb County Courthouse in Auburn, Ind. The mayor shares a moment with FBI Special Agent Robert Jones.

1394150739005-Dillinger-Gun-INWAY104-WEB465801.jpg

Last edited:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

Auburn, Ind., Mayor Norm Yoder holds the Thompson submachine gun stolen from the Auburn city jail by John Dillinger's gang in 1933 during a ceremony March 6, 2014 at the DeKalb County Courthouse in Auburn, Ind. The mayor shares a moment with FBI Special Agent Robert Jones.
    I'm pretty sure it just "looks" like it's pointed at the agent. The angle of the person taking the picture leads me to believe that.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    "The gun has an estimated value of up to $1million"
    Wow, that pretty much nails it down, huh? I guess all of my guns also have an estimated value of up to $1million.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Finger on trigger, pointed at face. Sounds smart. Guy on right is likely laughing at the fact it looks like the guy on left cant get the mag in

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    My great grandfather had problems with the Dillinger gang as police chief in a small north central Indiana town. He would be very happy to see this item returned to the side of law and order and not in the hands of gang members. Also they need to talk to the mayor about trigger discipline.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Even though it's history, and can't be changed, people should be reminded that Dillinger was a cold blooded killer, thief, and master of crime. Our family also had results of his work, at the First National Bank of East Chicago. My Great Uncle was murdered by Dillinger during the robbery, then escaped from jail, my Grandfather( Gary Motorcycle PD officer) was in a search afterwords. Both were married to my Great Aunts(sisters, therefore Brother in Laws). Dillinger Gang used those Thompsons. They also had robbed a number of Armorys, stealing Colt 1911 45s, Steel plated Vests, other weapons also. They stole Thompson MGs during the escape from Crown Point.

Dillinger's family had lawsuits seeking financial recovery for publicity using the name, Our cousins grew up fatherless due to him and his gang.

Cool to be remembered.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    It is amazing how we, as Americans, put criminals up on pedestals as if they somehow not criminals, but these holier-than-thou do-gooders just trying to make their way in less than ideal circumstances. The recent "Bonnie and Clyde" miniseries is an example as well as the Tom Hanks's "Road to Perdition" and the Christian Bale, Johnny Depp movie about Dillinger "Public Enemy". All of these movies were about murderous criminals that had audiences cheering for their victory and booing when the good guys won. Just another example of thousands as to why our society needs a huge wake up call.
    That being said, it is cool to see these pieces of Indiana history on display so people will not forget the violent times of the 1920's and 30's.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Even though it's history, and can't be changed, people should be reminded that Dillinger was a cold blooded killer, thief, and master of crime. Our family also had results of his work, at the First National Bank of East Chicago. My Great Uncle was murdered by Dillinger during the robbery, then escaped from jail, my Grandfather( Gary Motorcycle PD officer) was in a search afterwords. Both were married to my Great Aunts(sisters, therefore Brother in Laws). Dillinger Gang used those Thompsons. They also had robbed a number of Armorys, stealing Colt 1911 45s, Steel plated Vests, other weapons also. They stole Thompson MGs during the escape from Crown Point.

Dillinger's family had lawsuits seeking financial recovery for publicity using the name, Our cousins grew up fatherless due to him and his gang.

Cool to be remembered.

Officer William O'Malley, I assume?

Thanks for posting. Interesting perspective........

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I understand and see the point of the conversation and even agree with we shouldn't idolize Dillinger and his band of thugs but how in the world did we go from talking about a very cool gun being returned to the rightful owner to a thread of bashing the gangsters??
    Talk about a thread drift!

RUSH2112

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    In a van, by a river
    When I said "cool piece of history" I was referring to the inanimate object, the gun. Lets not get into "LEFT" field. Pretty sure some of my nazi marked mausers were up to no good at some point...

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo

1394150739005-Dillinger-Gun-INWAY104-WEB465801.jpg

BOOM!! Headshot

Top Bottom