• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I’m a member of castboolits.com. I’ve been in some group buys with mp-molds.com. Several of mine are brass, a few aluminum. They fit Lee mold handles. Premium work, no two ways about that and, even though they are located in Slovenia, they are inexpensive.

I cast for all of my pistol calibers, and use them even if they run in a carbine.

Mine are almost 100% wheel weights. I bought some Linotype to aid in “fill out”. My bullets are all “large for caliber” .357", .359”, .402", .434", .452" & .454".

I’ve found using the right lube (White Label 2700), the right BHN for pressure desired & a smidge big for caliber aid in reducing barrel leading to nill. Wet brush, 3-4 wet patches, maybe another wet brush and dry patches from there on out.

I’m sitting on 400lbs+ that have all been smelted into ingots. I bought 480lbs for $30! Lol

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Elmer thought that a hard bullet was 1part tin to 10parts lead! Imagine if he saw some of the commercially cast bullets of our day!
    There was someone on here a few years back that was upset they were having leading issues in a 9mm with commercial bullets and basic a starting load. I recommend bumping his powder charge up to at least mid level if not closer to max loads from his book. He protested at first but f8nally tried it and his leading went away. Form some reason most commercial casters want every bullet to be hard as a rock! 90% of what I cast is 20:1 and with proper bullet fit, you have very little leading.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've used the old Lyman 452651 in a variety of 454 and 45 Colt loads for the Blackhawk, SRH and rifle. Feeds well in levers, and it has two crimp grooves for different lengths. That ammo stays in a well marked box to keep it out of my older guns.

View attachment 325182

I have a very similar bullet mold from Lee. RNFP designs, gas check and two crimp grooves. I haven’t shot it much in years but tried it in y newer Marlin and it shoots very well and provides quite a thump. I am powder coating these and some other bullets and have gone to using red powder coat on my hotter loads. This bullet and my lightly loaded 200 gr RNFP Lee look almost identical when loaded. The Marlin handles either just fine, but I’d hate to put one of those warm 320’s in my open top or an old Smith!

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    There was someone on here a few years back that was upset they were having leading issues in a 9mm with commercial bullets and basic a starting load. I recommend bumping his powder charge up to at least mid level if not closer to max loads from his book. He protested at first but f8nally tried it and his leading went away. Form some reason most commercial casters want every bullet to be hard as a rock! 90% of what I cast is 20:1 and with proper bullet fit, you have very little leading.
    My exact experience as well. The production casters use harder alloy because there is less problem with mold fill out. More tin, sharper, more polished looking bullets that don’t get damaged during shipping. They are also smaller because they use less material to make.
    95% of what I cast is pure wheel weights. If I remember correctly mine are around 9BHN. Really soft by today’s standard.

Top Bottom