• ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County

This about deer shooting pens....

I haven't seen any details yet, but this has happened.

Now for appeals and fighting off the legislators.. Mitch was against these deer shooting pens. Not sure about Pence??

Last edited:

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    ok so its not really hunting it's just killing a cornered animal. I say we change it up a bit....the deer pen should be legal but you have to get in the pen and kill the deer in hand to hand combat. makes it a bit more sporting i think.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Thank you, Willie, I don't know where I've been, but this is news to me !!!!! I have heard of "game preserves", B4 but nothing like this... JMHO, 100 acres is too small. I would think like 200 or more. Fences, I can see keeping out "wild animals", maybe esp. the ones that would attack and hurt or kill the deer... Please let us know, what becomes of this.

Last edited:

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    don't see much difference in this and paying someone for a steer and shooting it. The pen raised deer are livestock not game. Not my style for sure but if someone wants to shoot something they can walk up and pet, what's the big deal

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Just do not see the sport in it. I can remember seeing a video of a black panther canned hunt. They had the large cat in a horse trailer. They open the doors and turned the dogs loose. The cat was scared and tried to take cover around the trailer with the dogs biting it. They eventually shot it within 10' of the trailer. Oh, did I mention that it had been declawed?

I am not a big fan of anything even remotely suggestive of a canned or penned hunt, even if they are on 200 acres. If they have no chance of survival, where is the sport in that?

With advancements in equipment and shrinking habitat for the animals, is an inescapable boundary really necessary?

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    CWD for starters.

That is the BIGGIE!!

When CWD comes to this state it will be in the back of a truck..

DNR seeks harvest, reporting of ear-tagged deer
    The Department of Natural Resources is advising hunters to be on the lookout for ear-tagged deer in Jackson County and the neighboring counties of Bartholomew, Jennings and Scott, and to harvest them if possible.

Hunters who harvest an ear-tagged deer in these counties or anywhere else in Indiana are asked to immediately call DNR Law Enforcement at (812) 837-9536. Anyone who strikes and kills an ear-tagged deer with a vehicle is asked to call the same number.

The focus on the four-county area is due to farm-raised deer that escaped from a captive cervid facility whose owner is cooperating with DNR. The deer may have been exposed to chronic wasting disease at a captive facility in another state before being transferred to Indiana. The DNR and the Indiana Board of Animal Health need to obtain the escaped ear-tagged deer to conduct disease testing.

Of particular interest are any deer with a yellow ear tag bearing the prefix IN 764 followed by another four numbers or any deer with a yellow ear tag and two numbers on it.

DNR staff will assist in transporting the deer carcass to Purdue University for testing at the Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory.

DNR will replace the hunter’s license at no cost.

Pennsylvania has it.. we don't want it..supposedly this is where the Indiana escaped deer came from.

http://www.abc27.com/story/19795474/1st-case-of-chronic-wasting-disease-found-in-pa-deer

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The end result is that it will cost millions of dollars to try to contain and eliminate it, but once started it's almost impossible to eliminate and very difficult to contain.

Think of it as mad cow disease for deer.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The end result is that it will cost millions of dollars to try to contain and eliminate it, but once started it's almost impossible to eliminate and very difficult to contain.

Think of it as mad cow disease for deer.

Absolutely .. See Wisconsin and how they (mis)handled it..

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I agree. Lets ban everything that is unsafe and quarantine animals of every species that are diseased from entering IN. I say we start with any human that has contracted HIV, hepatitis, chicken pox, syphilis, etc. then lets move on to banning fire.

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    you also have cwd problem in cattle. For the record I never indicated it was sport, it's slaughter, just a little different than we normally slaughter hogs and cows

Top Bottom