• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Has anyone shot one of these yet? I fondled one last night, and it has got to be the ugliest gun on the planet. It doesn't look like it would be much fun to shoot. What, with the short grips, and the snubnose barrel. Just curious.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Will have mine out of layaway in about a month ...

Will post report then :rockwoot:

will make my 3rd judge .

6 1/2 inch barrel with 2 1/2 inch cylinder ..

3 inch barrel with 3 inch mag cylinder .:patriot:

I love the things

This new one (public defender) was actually wifes idea

I seen it last week told her about it , she looked at it and told me .

" go get it so we will have the whole set of the different sizes "

Gawd I love that woman :patriot::rockwoot:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mine is a 4" barrel ( so it's Indiana deer legal:D), an Ultra-lite model, so yes it bucks!
    I just posted on another thread though, with a 4" barrel, and 000 buck, from 7yds (21'), I get CONSISTENT 6" groups!

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    acf31fe.jpg

acf31ff.jpg

acf3202.jpg

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    have you tried the new federal premium Handgun load 000 buck ?

If not try it you will like it ALOT .

4 copper coated pellets instead of 3 soft lead pellets .

And yes it is 2 1/2 inch .

found some 3 inch 0000 buck the other day 5 pellet ..its fun ...lol

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    have you tried the new federal premium Handgun load 000 buck ?

If not try it you will like it ALOT .

4 copper coated pellets instead of 3 soft lead pellets .

And yes it is 2 1/2 inch .

found some 3 inch 0000 buck the other day 5 pellet ..its fun ...lol[/quote
    I just found the Federal Premium Handgun .410 000-buck a week ago at WAL-MART!
    GREAT stuff:yesway:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    The think the whole Judge Series are totally wacked....Seems like a good defense gun.....For a blind man!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I would like to see the box o truth done again, with factory ammo. I haven't had any more difficult a time finding 2 1/2" .410, than any other ammo. I recently purchased 100 rounds each of #4,#7 1/2, and 000. ( Able Ammo online) Actually the .45lc is the tougher round to find.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The Box O' Truth tests were easily referenced and are inline with what I would expect from the .410 and .45 LC fired from that platform based on similar guns and results in the past. I'm not sure what folks expect, but the Box O' Truth results aren't surprising to those familiar with .410 handgun ballistics. Remember, those .410 shells are only running around 13,000 psi, and after 8-10 feet, the low mass pellets act more as individual projectiles than a single mass.

I would encourage you to do your own tests. It would be great to see the test results of fellow INGOers posted!

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The performance of the .410 out of them is pretty sore IMHO. We had one at Eagle Creek (longer barrel). Birdshot, of course, almost was bouncing off the cardboard backer (some BARELY penetrating all the way through) at 7 yards. 7 yards! The .45 LC accuracy was meh and the trigger pull is abhorrent. Slug performance was almost NIL, worse accuracy than the .45 LC. Buckshot was spread out so far that an aim at COM equalled one pellet in the shoulder, two almost missing the "arms". Could have been a dud, could not have been, I dont know. But I am basing my view of them off that. .410 is a mediocre performer in long barrels, shortening the barrel is a bad idea. Now, Taurus is making the Public one, EVEN SHORTER barrel. Bad idea once again.

If Taurus wanted to impress me, they would make the following changes:
    1. Pressure ammo guys to make GOOD loads, not just Federal making their handgun stuff (which is the only reason I would consider one of these guns).
    2. Improve the trigger. The double action was horrid and the single action gritty, not to mention, not a new gun (the test gun). Smooth out the trigger.
    3. Keep the longer barrels in more production. Putting shorter barrels on these things will make folks want to carry them :D which due to percieved images of .410 apparently blowing through cars and knocking over deer with one shot will get someone hurt.
    4. Make the Judge compatible with the newer HIGH pressure .45 LC out there. Make it a REAL contender for bear country. They are a great idea for a snake gun, but go one more step up! :D

Dont get me wrong, its a good idea, just poorly enacted and the supporting ammo isnt up to the task yet. I am REALLY waiting on someone to let loose some of that Federal ammo. If its hot enough, consider me a candidate to see the "Judge"! :)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The performance of the .410 out of them is pretty sore IMHO. We had one at Eagle Creek (longer barrel). Birdshot, of course, almost was bouncing off the cardboard backer (some BARELY penetrating all the way through) at 7 yards. 7 yards! The .45 LC accuracy was meh and the trigger pull is abhorrent. Slug performance was almost NIL, worse accuracy than the .45 LC. Buckshot was spread out so far that an aim at COM equalled one pellet in the shoulder, two almost missing the "arms". Could have been a dud, could not have been, I dont know. But I am basing my view of them off that. .410 is a mediocre performer in long barrels, shortening the barrel is a bad idea. Now, Taurus is making the Public one, EVEN SHORTER barrel. Bad idea once again.

If Taurus wanted to impress me, they would make the following changes:
    1. Pressure ammo guys to make GOOD loads, not just Federal making their handgun stuff (which is the only reason I would consider one of these guns).
    2. Improve the trigger. The double action was horrid and the single action gritty, not to mention, not a new gun (the test gun). Smooth out the trigger.
    3. Keep the longer barrels in more production. Putting shorter barrels on these things will make folks want to carry them :D which due to percieved images of .410 apparently blowing through cars and knocking over deer with one shot will get someone hurt.
    4. Make the Judge compatible with the newer HIGH pressure .45 LC out there. Make it a REAL contender for bear country. They are a great idea for a snake gun, but go one more step up! :D

Dont get me wrong, its a good idea, just poorly enacted and the supporting ammo isnt up to the task yet. I am REALLY waiting on someone to let loose some of that Federal ammo. If its hot enough, consider me a candidate to see the "Judge"! :)
    I've got about 8 milk jugs, a box of the Federal Premium Handgun
    000 buck, and a 4" barreled "Judge" Ultra-lite" waiting for this weekend.
    I'll let you know

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've got about 8 milk jugs, a box of the Federal Premium Handgun
    000 buck, and a 4" barreled "Judge" Ultra-lite" waiting for this weekend.
    I'll let you know

Do you mean this stuff?

Federal Premium - Shotshell Details

More testing for those so interested (again, just about what one would expect):
    Testing the Taurus Judge with 410 ammunition

Oh, and if you happen to have a chronograph, Federals published velocity looks insanely high. I'd expect something more in the 700-900 fps range.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do you mean this stuff?

Federal Premium - Shotshell Details

More testing for those so interested (again, just about what one would expect):
    Testing the Taurus Judge with 410 ammunition

Oh, and if you happen to have a chronograph, Federals published velocity looks insanely high. I'd expect something more in the 700-900 fps range.
    Yes, the Federal Premium Hangun (000 Buck) is copper plated, 4-pellet. I think it will fair better than the Winchester.
    Also, I've BEEN using a custom load from a manufacturer named Paraklese Technologies. VERY similar to the new Federal, but they use a VERY hard alloy instead of copper plating.
    BTW- Paraklese is an INDIANA based, Christian run company!:patriot:

Top Bottom