• ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not really. It's a little deep for me.
    My understanding is that a tied SCOTUS reverts back to the lower court's decision?

I had never considered it but it would seem to be the reasonable expectation that with a de facto no decision that would be the case. Anyway, I was taking that as an implication that we are in deep manure rather than as a technical question.

One thing that has me wondering is the whole head under the pillow thing. I will grant you that I have witnessed only one heart attack that induced death, but what I witnessed would not be compatible with the scene described.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I've sometimes slept with a pillow both under and over my head (usually when I'm feeling cold, but hey, I ain't got much hair).

As I said, I have witnessed such an event only once (one time too many, I might add) but it amounted to what looked like a particularly violent fit of dry heaves rather than the serene close your eyes and it's all over that the description of Scalia's final rest would seem to imply.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How about the West Wing precedence?

Scalia, a Conservative Justice... has passed.
    In good faith, Ginsberg steps down. Obama appoints one justice, the GOP appoints the other.

think he'd go for it?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

In good faith, Ginsberg steps down. Obama appoints one justice, the GOP appoints the other.

think he'd go for it?

If the roles were reversed, do you think the same deal would work?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

think he'd go for it?

Ahh, nope. He will try appoint someone with his same ideology. The only right thing to do (in his eyes).

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Another reason why the upcoming presidential election is so important. The overwhelming percentage (I think about 80%) of our presidents serve two terms. Two terms, for the mathematically challenged, is 8 years. The current living SCOTUS justices are OLD! The chances of them all living until 2025 (the end of the next 2 terms) are very slim. Whoever we put in the whitehouse next is very likely to appoint several justices. Imagine any of the likely Democrat candidates making those appointments. The moral of this story.....GO VOTE REPUBLICAN whether you like the guy or not.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Watching this scenario as it unfolds, it would be amusing -- were it not for the deadly serious implications -- watching several regulars on here who totally discount the problem of pro-gun people people voting Dem, now seeing the inevitable result of their cavalier attitude.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Watching this scenario as it unfolds, it would be amusing -- were it not for the deadly serious implications -- watching several regulars on here who totally discount the problem of pro-gun people people voting Dem now seeing the inevitable result of their cavalier attitude.

QFT... One hell of a way to bring them to our side, huh?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    O.K. but I would still like to know why there were initial reports stating cause of death was natural, and NOT foul play.
    Why the caveat?
    If it were natural causes, why not say that and leave it there?
    Typical caveat. They can have a live video of some Scumbag killing someone and it is still an "alleged" murder.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The sad thing about all this is how much the makeup of the justices matter. Left, right, centrist should not matter so much to judges reading the Constitution and applying the law. Unfortunately SCOTUS has moved so far from being the Judicial branch and become an activist branch making law instead of applying the law to the facts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Watching this scenario as it unfolds, it would be amusing -- were it not for the deadly serious implications -- watching several regulars on here who totally discount the problem of pro-gun people people voting Dem, now seeing the inevitable result of their cavalier attitude.

Not going to happen.
    Like religious choices folks are vetted into a mindset and it is hard to get them out of that rut. Pride/embarrassment/denial/idiocy....whatever the reasoning most folks are staying pat with their "Choices"

Top Bottom