• Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    Rewind

Re-visiting an old thread with a new spin:

My less than 18 year child (minor) received the "Juror Qualification Questionnaire" recently (from a previously mentioned IN county).

Obviously he is not old enough to vote and he is not old enough to have a driver's license (these were not the sources for his name and address). He has paid IN State and Federal Taxes in prior years (due to capital gains), so this might have been his entry ticket to the pool?

The "Official" Government letter requires a reply within ten days by IN Law (IC-33-4-11-16).

While I agree that citizens should participate as jurors, I think my minor child's responses to the 18 questions (10 of which are labeled as Misc Info) should be limited to his age and/or any of the other factors that would make him ineligible.

What would happen if a minor did not reply to the "Official" letter addressed to him (I will recommend that he does reply, but I do not believe a minor should be required to divulge other personal information about themselves or others).

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Re-visiting an old thread with a new spin:

My less than 18 year child (minor) received the "Juror Qualification Questionnaire" recently (from a previously mentioned IN county).

Obviously he is not old enough to vote and he is not old enough to have a driver's license (these were not the sources for his name and address). He has paid IN State and Federal Taxes in prior years (due to capital gains), so this might have been his entry ticket to the pool?

The "Official" Government letter requires a reply within ten days by IN Law (IC-33-4-11-16).

While I agree that citizens should participate as jurors, I think my minor child's responses to the 18 questions (10 of which are labeled as Misc Info) should be limited to his age and/or any of the other factors that would make him ineligible.

What would happen if a minor did not reply to the "Official" letter addressed to him (I will recommend that he does reply, but I do not believe a minor should be required to divulge other personal information about themselves or others).

Will he be 18 before the November election? If yes, he's probably registered to vote and that's why he got it. A call to the courthouse could clear it up.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Jury lists are not generated from voter rolls alone. They come from every way a person's path crosses with government from taxes to driver licenses and many, many more things.

Last edited:

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    Will he be 18 before the November election? If yes, he's probably registered to vote and that's why he got it. A call to the courthouse could clear it up.

No, there will be many November elections before he is 18. This is not his first Questionnaire, the previous was returned with his age (then nothing for a few years).

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    LOL, I was on a jury one time, before I began a DOC / LEO / USM career. I'll never have to be on one again. :rockwoot:

I do feel fortunate, though, to have experienced and participated in 'the system' from every legal aspect. Don't think there's too many who've been able to do that. It's been an 'education', to be sure!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I get a survey once a year for county, I answer the age & felon question and put N/a for everything else. & I got seated on a jury. I am up for another go this month.. but I probably won't get seated since I know to many people who work in the courts now.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I served on a jury a while back in Illinois. The state was trying a horse jockey for conspiring to throw a race for organized crime. The fact that he had never, ever once in his five year career actually come in better than 5th place didn't deter them. I assumed the role of foreman when we met in the jury room and we we discussed and voted him innocent in less than five minutes. The bailiff didn't even have time to come back with the coffee urn we requested. The judge told us we set the Illinois record for length of deliberations.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Have you called the court that sent you the summons yet? Call and ask for the bailiff. She is the one sending out the summonses for the pool (if your court does not have a court administrator).

Call the court and explain your son's circumstances. I'm would foresee a speedy resolution.:D

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My voting role is cranky middle-class, middle-aged guy who demands everyone get off his lawn.

...alright...."rolls"

courts.IN.gov: Statewide Jury Pool Project

In the past, potential jurors were called using voter registration lists. Later, voter registration lists were used in combination with some other list. That process still did not include all segments of the over-18 population and in some cases caused a disincentive to vote.The Indiana Supreme Court, and its Judicial Technology and Automation Committee (JTAC), Judicial Center and Jury Committee, and the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR), and Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) partnered to create a comprehensive, statewide repository of potential jurors for Indiana trial courts that now includes more than 99% of eligible jurors.

Personally, I was fine with the pool being drawn from voting records, but our omniscient Supreme Court thought that important cases that affect real person's lives should be decided by people who don't care enough to vote.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I have always wanted to serve on a jury because I think it would be interesting. I have been a registered voter for over 30 years without ever receiving a summons. I am married to an attorney, so maybe they already know that and I get disqualified before I even get that far?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I have always wanted to serve on a jury because I think it would be interesting. I have been a registered voter for over 30 years without ever receiving a summons. I am married to an attorney, so maybe they already know that and I get disqualified before I even get that far?

Probably not. It's luck of the draw.

I, as an attorney, have had to report for jury duty, but there was a plea agreement before we made it in the courtroom. My wife was called for jury duty, but after making it into the courtroom...the judge greeted her by name and then told the attorneys that she had worked for the firm where he had been a partner while in private practice. The attorneys didn't know what that meant for their case, so they agreed to excuse her.

Also, one of my partners served as a juror on a criminal case.

In the federal system, though, attorneys who practice in that District are pretty much exempt from jury duty...at least they have been in the past.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I have been called up for jury duty several times and the last time was about two (2) years ago. As I recall it was a simple questionnaire.

I did get to sit the the jury box a few times but was never allowed to proceed to trial. I always get kicked during voir dire.

I used to be a confinement officer, so I get kicked on criminal cases.

I used to sell insurance, so I get kicked on civil cases.

I just can't win. I would take it as a privilege to serve in a system that tries to give each side a fair shake at justice, but I know it is unlikely to happen.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom