• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mmorph55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Lafayette
    So I received my jury duty paper in the mail on Saturday. I found it interesting that if I am picked for duty then I get paid $40 a day for the trial.
    Here is my gripe....why me?...why not take the unemployed or those on welfare and let them "work" for that $200 a week. Why disrupt a worker from his job and disrupt my company by taking me out of the work force. It would just seem like a better idea to provide someone that doesnt have a job the opportunity to make a little money.
    All that aside, they could at least pay minimum wage.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    To think the last time I had a jury duty notice, I was excited to get away from work and hoping I got picked. They never called me in :(

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Not sure if it's a policy of ours or something in ICs, but my company pays the difference between jury salary and lost time at work. We also pay for the parking while working jury.

But, I can't argue with using the guys on unemployment.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't think I would want a jury made up solely of people who were unemployed. The whole point is to have a jury of your peers, drawn from a pool composed of people from all walks of life.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I don't think I would want a jury made up solely of people who were unemployed. The whole point is to have a jury of your peers, drawn from a pool composed of people from all walks of life.

Have you not looked around lately? Our peers are laid off, fired, etc and are drawing unemployment, more it seems every day. People from all walks of life, not just those who don't want to work are getting it anymore.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

No kidding!

And it's definitely not IC to be reimbursed for missed work.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So I received my jury duty paper in the mail on Saturday. I found it interesting that if I am picked for duty then I get paid $40 a day for the trial.
    Here is my gripe....why me?...why not take the unemployed or those on welfare and let them "work" for that $200 a week. Why disrupt a worker from his job and disrupt my company by taking me out of the work force. It would just seem like a better idea to provide someone that doesnt have a job the opportunity to make a little money.

Let's see.... If I'm the defendant, I think I'd want someone with the intelligence, ambition and ability to hold a job making decisions on my future. There might also be a problem using your selection criteria to find 12 people who could pass the pretrial jury selection questionnaire and background checks. Not picking on the unemployed and welfare folks, but looking at reality.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I always hate to get those. Not because I don't want to serve mind you, but a day or two out of work will take me 2-3 weeks to recover from. Now if they made them on the weekends im sure I and a lot more people wouldn't complain about them so much.

And I hate to say it, but 40$ a day is an insult (thats equal to a 10,400$ a year salary) to anyone with a full time job. My company's policy when it comes to Jury Duty is the 1st day is covered, but after that your on unpaid vacation (with no risk of termination).

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

It is your DUTY as an American Citizen! If you do not like the fact that occasionally you might have to exercise a little bit of Responsibility at little to no Profit to your Country, Community, Neighbors, and Fellow Americans; the Borders are not really that far away...

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    All well and good idea, until the Crips acquit a blood so he can get street justice on his release, and vice versa and before you know it the streets of Oakland spread throughout the country. Let the pool be diverse, let nobody be above the system including yourself.

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    in 7 years living in Marion county - got called 3 times. got seated twice. crappy sex related trials both times.

Pretty fascinating to be a part of the process - I don't begrudge it, some of the other pool members scared the heck out of me though - just really couldn't put cogent thoughts together and more or less just went along. We need decent pool members - heaven forbid we end counting on a (ignorant) jury pool to determine our fate

Moved to Hendricks county in 2005- and haven't been called a single time since then.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Go do your Duty! You might save a soul or bag the bad guy.

But the real question is-
    Are you going to OC or CC?

Get pictures! :)

Top Bottom