• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Well, Hamilton County just called on me to perform Jury Duty. :rockwoot:

I bet they won't let me in unless I'm defenseless and unarmed...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    simpsons_nelson_haha3.jpg

sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    I know it is no fun showing up for it, but do us all a favor and take it seriously and perform your civic duty well and with pride. When we don't do it we get a dog and pony show because of the idiots they put on the juries and we then complain why some piece of dirt walked or got little to no time.

Not accusing you of anything just trying to offer some encouragement and say thanks.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I always get turned down... :dunno:

If I had to choose another career..it would be a professional juror...if there were such a thing. But there should be. :twocents:

Strongly disagree. If we had professional jurors, we would have people in the positions as corrupt as any politician. I'm quite happy with having "amateurs" fill the job.

FTR, I will happily serve anytime I get the notice that my service is needed. I make no attempt to get out of serving and part of the reason why is "jury nullification". I would hope that if, God forbid, I was ever the one on trial, I would have good, honest people who are aware of their power in that position. As such, I do what I can and hope someone pays it forward.

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I wouldn't toss the fight unless I felt I must... I read the newspaper daily, also read news online from four to ten different sources per story (Google News: who doesn't love aggregated spying on you with NEWS??), I'm very stubborn, anti-thetical to the notion that any circumstance can be trumped by one broad rule, and in general, just plain contrary. Couple that with a sardonic wit that's been honed to a point from years of blunt sharpening via ignorant statement and Socratic discussion, and I think I'd be a prosecutor's (or defense's, in the rare instance that I'd side against the defendant) nightmare - as would any thinking Citizen of this once-grand Republic. I can't imagine anyone on this Forum not getting disqualified by either prosecution or defense for being too intelligent and opinionated:

'Someone who thinks on their own, unable to be manipulated?!'

We can only imagine their (perhaps justifiable) fear...

Oh, my fellow free-thinkers... why must we continue to make life difficult for the State? ;)

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I wouldn't toss the fight unless I felt I must... I read the newspaper daily, also read news online from four to ten different sources per story (Google News: who doesn't love aggregated spying on you with NEWS??), I'm very stubborn, anti-thetical to the notion that any circumstance can be trumped by one broad rule, and in general, just plain contrary. Couple that with a sardonic wit that's been honed to a point from years of blunt sharpening via ignorant statement and Socratic discussion, and I think I'd be a prosecutor's (or defense's, in the rare instance that I'd side against the defendant) nightmare - as would any thinking Citizen of this once-grand Republic. I can't imagine anyone on this Forum not getting disqualified by either prosecution or defense for being too intelligent and opinionated:

'Someone who thinks on their own, unable to be manipulated?!'

We can only imagine their (perhaps justifiable) fear...

Oh, my fellow free-thinkers... why must we continue to make life difficult for the State? ;)

And the bolded statement above is why you wouldn't make a good juror in ANY case. I'm not saying you have to side with the prosecution or the cops, just go into it with a clear and open mind, which by that statement you do not have.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    And the bolded statement above is why you wouldn't make a good juror in ANY case. I'm not saying you have to side with the prosecution or the cops, just go into it with a clear and open mind, which by that statement you do not have.

No, the burden is on the State to prove guilt, not the other way around - our system of law demands innocence until guilt is proven. That's the way I see it.

Also, the emphasis you put in is not original and is not mine - it's in parentheses, as an offset phrase.

Nor did I say 'never': I said "on the rare occasion" - implying that yes, if the facts found for it, I could find against the defendant.

But the burden of proving guilt is upon the State. Period. Next song.

Last edited:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    No, the burden is on the State to prove guilt, not the other way around - our system of law demands innocence until guilt is proven. That's the way I see it.

Also, the emphasis you put in is not original and is not mine - it's in parentheses, as an offset phrase.

Nor did I say 'never': I said "on the rare occasion" - implying that yes, if the facts found for it, I could find against the defendant.

But the burden of proving guilt is upon the State. Period. Next song.

You are absolutely right.....the burden is on the state as it should be and if they do not meet that burden then I wouldn't expect anyone to find them guilty. I guess it's just my opinion that someone going into Jury Duty thinking they would go against the defense only in a "rare instance" is not going into it with an open mind, but again that's just my opinion. :dunno:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Strongly disagree. If we had professional jurors, we would have people in the positions as corrupt as any politician. I'm quite happy with having "amateurs" fill the job.

FTR, I will happily serve anytime I get the notice that my service is needed. I make no attempt to get out of serving and part of the reason why is "jury nullification". I would hope that if, God forbid, I was ever the one on trial, I would have good, honest people who are aware of their power in that position. As such, I do what I can and hope someone pays it forward.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Yeah...you and I both know that corruption would play into it. I was just saying...in a perfect world. We have professional attorneys...professional judges...

I think in reality though we have a lot of problems with the "amateurs"... For instance...we have the group mentioned above (post 3) that wants the jurors to find the defendant "not guilty" (regardless of the evidence) just because the juror disagrees with the legality of the law. That is for higher courts to determine. IMO.

I think my biggest problem with "amateur" jurors is they allow emotion, sentiment and personal feelings to enter into the equation. Me? "Just the facts, ma'am"...

JoeFriday.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think in reality though we have a lot of problems with the "amateurs"... For instance...we have the group mentioned above (post 3) that wants the jurors to find the defendant "not guilty" (regardless of the evidence) just because the juror disagrees with the legality of the law. That is for higher courts to determine. IMO....

Some time back, I saw a juror "test".. not, obviously, a test to allow one to be a juror, but rather a personal quiz for those who may find themselves called to serve someday.

The question before the court was that a citizen had broken a law. He had admitted to doing so, and the penalty was death. No proof of his violation of the law was required because of his admission, however the proof was plentiful, both in the form of eyewitnesses to his action and the police reports when he was caught in the act.

You stand as the lone juror who has not yet entered a vote. All 11 others have voted "guilty". How vote you?

If you just said (or thought) "Guilty"... you just condemned the man who hid Anne Frank and her family from the Nazis.
    It is both essential and critical for the jury to judge both the law and the facts. One cannot be divorced from the other.

Blessings,
    Bill

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yeah...you and I both know that corruption would play into it. I was just saying...in a perfect world. We have professional attorneys...professional judges...

I think in reality though we have a lot of problems with the "amateurs"... For instance...we have the group mentioned above (post 3) that wants the jurors to find the defendant "not guilty" (regardless of the evidence) just because the juror disagrees with the legality of the law. That is for higher courts to determine. IMO.

I think my biggest problem with "amateur" jurors is they allow emotion, sentiment and personal feelings to enter into the equation. Me? "Just the facts, ma'am"...
    Sorry, but as a juror you not only have the right, you have an obligation to judge the law. That's a right that's over 700 years old and is part of the common law upon which this country was founded. If you were on a jury and had to see to a case that involved the fugitive slave act (which was the law of the land at once point) would you vote to send a slave back or vote against an immoral and unConstitutional law? By just following the facts (as immoral judges and prosecutors would have you do) you do a disservice to the law and the very foundations of our country.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...I think my biggest problem with "amateur" jurors is they allow emotion, sentiment and personal feelings to enter into the equation. ...

Honestly... I really, REALLY hope that that's exactly what they do. I want them to be human beings. I want them to understand what went into what happened. Without that, we would do as well to program a computer to be the "jury".

"We are a nation of laws and not of men", said President Ford.
    "The law is reason, free from passion", said Aristotle.
    "Justice is blind", goes the motto.

Perhaps so, but she is not deaf, mute, nor heartless. The letter of the law is important, but it must, MUST, IMHO, be tempered by humanity.

Otherwise, should we ever in the slightest way run afoul of the printed word, we trust our own fates to legislators who can't be trusted with money, can't stay faithful in their marriages, and can't seem to recall that it is the people who employ them, not they who rule (as contrasted against "govern") the people.

I'm not willing to go that far, and I cannot see any reason why anyone else would. I respect your right to your opinion. I respect your right to differ. I simply do not understand the thinking that gets you where you seem to be, (apparently) thinking that those in higher courts are somehow our betters.

Blessings,
    JustABill-rifle.gif

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom