• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Springfield fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Seymour
    I have been into guns since I was a kid and been working on and building my own custom guns for about ten years. I enjoy it very much and even make a little money doing it.

Here's my problem...I have been working on a 1911 for years and every time I think I am finished, I find something new to upgrade/change!
    For those who have done this for much longer...will my beautiful 1911 ever be done or am I doomed to a life of blissful gun work?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I think you're doomed. I've got a 1911 project I never finished and sold to my dad and about to buy it back and finish it, and just purchased an AR lower that will start my first build...
    Still need to start a 10/22 project....

The "build/project" bug bites HARD.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Yes, you are doomed to forever be changing, or altering parts.

I started on a Romanian SAR-1 about 10 years ago, and about every time I pick it up I have to either change the stock set, or just the butt stock, or the lower hand grip, or the trigger, or install a different muzzle device, or pistol grip, or.... Hasn't looked the same any two times to the range, or trigger feel the same, or have a different sight on it...

BUT IT'S SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!

Springfield fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Seymour
    I guess there are worse things than being cursed to a life of craftsmanship! Good luck with the AR project! That is going to be a blast! I have never looked, but is there a company selling southpaw lowers?

Springfield fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Seymour
    Yes, you are doomed to forever be changing, or altering parts.

I started on a Romanian SAR-1 about 10 years ago, and about every time I pick it up I have to either change the stock set, or just the butt stock, or the lower hand grip, or the trigger, or install a different muzzle device, or pistol grip, or.... Hasn't looked the same any two times to the range, or trigger feel the same, or have a different sight on it...

BUT IT'S SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!

Fun indeed! I have it driving nails already but I can't seem to leave well enough alone. Beveled magazine well, lightened trigger pull, fitted a new grip safety, etc. Now all I have to do is order those better sights, fit an ambi-safety, refinish, maybe a...well, u know how it is!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I learned a long time ago if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have no problem finishing a build and leaving it alone, that is of course providing it works as it should. I built my 38 Super over 15 years ago and the only thing that has been changed on it is the scope mount. When I quit shooting Action Pistol I took off the shroud mount in favor of a much lighter one. My last AR build worked great with the parts I started with...won't even change anything on it. Got my Cetme running great...no changes needed.

I would rather start a new project than mess with something that already shoots great.

Top Bottom