• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    As I understand it, it is made by a former Kel Tec employee, so... copy of a P-11, that being said, I don't have one, and I just gave my p11 to my son. My brother has a Sccy, and likes it, but carries a .38 more often. I've handled them, just seems a copy , as I said , of the P11, trigger pull was better than the p11....YMMV, for the price, yes I'd go for the Taurus....

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Tight budget means different things to different people. Can you give us a dollar range? There's some real bargains out there on things like police trade ins and full size .38 revolvers, full size .40's, and the like that have fallen out of style but are still very solid choices over the dart-gun like SCYY.
    I am told $300 would be upper limit for the hand gun and a Holster. Ammo we can help with so at least we can’t take that cost out of the equation.

Thanks

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am told $300 would be upper limit for the hand gun and a Holster. Ammo we can help with so at least we can’t take that cost out of the equation.

Thanks

Maybe cruise Gunbroker for used 9mm S&W Shields. Completed auctions look like $180-$200 is normal. Should be able to get one all in for under $250, $50 for an ok holster and you're set with a much higher quality gun and one with decent aftermarket support, cheap magazines, etc.

More full size, .40 striker fired guns are pretty unloved right now.

Right at the top of the budget, may need to hold off on the holster, but quality firearm.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Everyone should keep a backup copy of their own pistol for emergency. An emergency could be arming a family member or best friend, until they could save to afford their own quality life saving tool.

:twocents:

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    as much as it pains me to say this, i would reccommend a taurus g2c first. The SCCY trigger is long heavy and long. i found it difficult to shoot accurately with out a lot of practice and work with the trigger, and im a pretty decent shot for the most part.

The optionsd from taurus have a very solid history of reliability in the G2c series, and would be worth ponying up a little bit more for if possible

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have very limited experience with them, but while I hate to say it, I'm in the "Buy a Taurus instead" camp. A friend has an SCCY, and the last time I was at the range with him it couldn't shoot two rounds in a row without choking. We tried two separate mags, and neither of them worked. I looked at it briefly, couldn't figure it out, and then realized that he also had an S&W Shield in his bag, and told him he should just shoot that. The trigger on that SCCY was awful, too.

I'm far from a Taurus proponent, but the G2C/G3C are better in every way than that gun.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I recently bought a brand new SCCY CPX-2 Gen3, mainly because it was on sale for $200. It was most certainly not worth the price of admission. The magazine lips were not polished, rough. I called CS before my first trip to the range. I got 2 free magazines in the mail a few days later. They were no better. Ok, range time. FTF, FTE (extract and eject), Stovepipe, FTR2B, ammunition nosedive-in-the -magazine is an almost every magazine problem. I polished the magazine feed lips, I deburred (should not be necessary) the followers, and stretched the magazine springs. Back to the range. Now, it shoots ball ammo with no major issues. (I define major as: I have to lock the slide manually, extract the magazine manually, clear the jam, and reload the pistol). I use two flavors of SD ammo. This gun functions with neither, both are well-respected national loads. I could not get off a full magazine without a major failure with one type. With the other type, I could not get through a box of ammo (50) without a major failure. I have given up on this gun. I have paid more for the ammo to test it with than I paid for the gun.
    I have one good thing to say about the gun: the trigger is exactly what I want in an EDC. Long, and heavy, just like a revolver. Long and heavy is not a problem, it is a feature. Lots of reviewers say they 'could not shoot this trigger'. My guess is they've never shot a revolver. I had no problems putting 10 rounds in a 3" circle at 7 yards, when the gun functioned properly, which sadly, is only with ball ammo. I intend to disable the piece and make a paper weight out of it. I'm hoping it can do that properly.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I recently bought a brand new SCCY CPX-2 Gen3, mainly because it was on sale for $200. It was most certainly not worth the price of admission. The magazine lips were not polished, rough. I called CS before my first trip to the range. I got 2 free magazines in the mail a few days later. They were no better. Ok, range time. FTF, FTE (extract and eject), Stovepipe, FTR2B, ammunition nosedive-in-the -magazine is an almost every magazine problem. I polished the magazine feed lips, I deburred (should not be necessary) the followers, and stretched the magazine springs. Back to the range. Now, it shoots ball ammo with no major issues. (I define major as: I have to lock the slide manually, extract the magazine manually, clear the jam, and reload the pistol). I use two flavors of SD ammo. This gun functions with neither, both are well-respected national loads. I could not get off a full magazine without a major failure with one type. With the other type, I could not get through a box of ammo (50) without a major failure. I have given up on this gun. I have paid more for the ammo to test it with than I paid for the gun.
    I have one good thing to say about the gun: the trigger is exactly what I want in an EDC. Long, and heavy, just like a revolver. Long and heavy is not a problem, it is a feature. Lots of reviewers say they 'could not shoot this trigger'. My guess is they've never shot a revolver. I had no problems putting 10 rounds in a 3" circle at 7 yards, when the gun functioned properly, which sadly, is only with ball ammo. I intend to disable the piece and make a paper weight out of it. I'm hoping it can do that properly.
    You'd think their Gen 3 would be the best one out. They usually improve on a design not make it worse.
    Maybe you got a lemon?
    I think it would be best to wait on more reports on these Gen 3 SCCY pistols.
    I know people that have both Gen 1 and 2. It's hit and miss with them. Some are very reliable and some had to be sent back to SCCY to get them working properly.
    They say they have good customer service so that should be a plus.
    Did you contact them and see about getting it sent back to be fixed?

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    You'd think their Gen 3 would be the best one out. They usually improve on a design not make it worse.
    Maybe you got a lemon?
    I think it would be best to wait on more reports on these Gen 3 SCCY pistols.
    I know people that have both Gen 1 and 2. It's hit and miss with them. Some are very reliable and some had to be sent back to SCCY to get them working properly.
    They say they have good customer service so that should be a plus.
    Did you contact them and see about getting it sent back to be fixed?
    I did contact them; they sent me 2 replacement magazines, stating that was the most likely problem. I honestly believe the gun is not the problem, the magazines are. The follower is not tall enough (top to bottom) to maintain stability, and is sloppy in the magazine. The followers also had IM flashing on almost every edge. The springs are noticeably WEAK compared to: Sig P365, Sig P320, Glock 21, Keltec P32, and CM 1911 springs. There are no aftermarket (except Promag) mags for this gun. I put 500 rounds of ball, 50 rounds of Hornady 115gr CD, and 100+ rounds of Federal 147gr HST through this gun trying to make it work. Total ammo and range time expenditures are over $400. I don't care what they do to the gun; they can't fix lousy magazines. And I am not going to waste another 100 rounds of HST and at least 200 rounds of ball testing whatever they might do. Good money after bad and all that. I already have over $600 in a gun that is completely unreliable for EDC. It shoots ball OK, with the occasional failure to return to battery, and only one stove-pipe in the last several boxes of ball. Those types of failures are acceptable, because they are easily cleared. I won't carry ball for SD, and this gun WILL NOT FEED Critical Defense AT ALL, and will NOT RELIABLY FEED 147 HST. To clear mag jams, I have to manually lock the slide back, release the magazine, and reload. Not acceptable.
    I do NOT claim every SCCY gun is like this. I am only reporting my experiences with this one particular copy. Just for background, I've been shooting handguns since 1974. I shot competitively for the US Army's First Armored Division, 1st Brigade team, 1911A1 and M16A1. My current hardware is: Keltec P32 20+ years and 1000+ rounds w/o a failure of any kind; Sig P365 2+ years and 1000+ rounds without a failure of any kind, Glock 21 2 years and 1000+ rounds w/o a failure of any kind. Maybe I'm spoiled by quality hardware. The SCCY CPX-2 Gen 3 does nothing for me. Want it?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have very limited experience with them, but while I hate to say it, I'm in the "Buy a Taurus instead" camp. A friend has an SCCY, and the last time I was at the range with him it couldn't shoot two rounds in a row without choking. We tried two separate mags, and neither of them worked. I looked at it briefly, couldn't figure it out, and then realized that he also had an S&W Shield in his bag, and told him he should just shoot that. The trigger on that SCCY was awful, too.

I'm far from a Taurus proponent, but the G2C/G3C are better in every way than that gun.
    Guy I went to church with had one. He had feeding issues with at least 1 mag.
    No idea on what model or gen it was, and I never shot it

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I did contact them; they sent me 2 replacement magazines, stating that was the most likely problem. I honestly believe the gun is not the problem, the magazines are. The follower is not tall enough (top to bottom) to maintain stability, and is sloppy in the magazine. The followers also had IM flashing on almost every edge. The springs are noticeably WEAK compared to: Sig P365, Sig P320, Glock 21, Keltec P32, and CM 1911 springs. There are no aftermarket (except Promag) mags for this gun. I put 500 rounds of ball, 50 rounds of Hornady 115gr CD, and 100+ rounds of Federal 147gr HST through this gun trying to make it work. Total ammo and range time expenditures are over $400. I don't care what they do to the gun; they can't fix lousy magazines. And I am not going to waste another 100 rounds of HST and at least 200 rounds of ball testing whatever they might do. Good money after bad and all that. I already have over $600 in a gun that is completely unreliable for EDC. It shoots ball OK, with the occasional failure to return to battery, and only one stove-pipe in the last several boxes of ball. Those types of failures are acceptable, because they are easily cleared. I won't carry ball for SD, and this gun WILL NOT FEED Critical Defense AT ALL, and will NOT RELIABLY FEED 147 HST. To clear mag jams, I have to manually lock the slide back, release the magazine, and reload. Not acceptable.
    I do NOT claim every SCCY gun is like this. I am only reporting my experiences with this one particular copy. Just for background, I've been shooting handguns since 1974. I shot competitively for the US Army's First Armored Division, 1st Brigade team, 1911A1 and M16A1. My current hardware is: Keltec P32 20+ years and 1000+ rounds w/o a failure of any kind; Sig P365 2+ years and 1000+ rounds without a failure of any kind, Glock 21 2 years and 1000+ rounds w/o a failure of any kind. Maybe I'm spoiled by quality hardware. The SCCY CPX-2 Gen 3 does nothing for me. Want it?
    If you want to give it away give it to a local hun club with the understanding it needs work. They can raffle it off or use it for people who want to try then out.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Assuming a typo. Wouldn't a hun club involve helmets with horns? ;)
    I am certainly open to giving it away. Gun, 4 mags, IWB holster. Any suggestions for a place in north central Indiana. I live in SB/Elkhart area? Willing to drive a bit, but local would be nice. Anyone? Open to suggestions.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I have a CPX-1 that's used all summer on the mower or property truck. It must be one of the good ones because it has never failed to fire, extract or feed. Three mags and they are all perfect. Probably 1000 rounds total. Picked up a used 1791 leather paddle holster for $10.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had a very early cpx1 model many years ago. When they were still skyy.

Had to have my gunsmith do some work on it to get it to feed reliably. After that, it did work, but horrible trigger. Probably the worst trigger I have ever felt.

At the time, they did not offer it without a manual safety, and the position of the safety did not work for me, it kept getting swiped on while firing

Felt good enough in the hand, hate manual safeties anyway, but they do offer models without nowadays. Regardless, with all of the offerings these days, I can think of several others I would recommend well before a sccy.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    There are no aftermarket (except Promag) mags for this gun.
    You should get one of those Promags just to try it before you completely give up on the gun. Sounds like the factory mags are so bad that this might be the one time in human history when a Promag is more reliable than factory!

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    You should get one of those Promags just to try it before you completely give up on the gun. Sounds like the factory mags are so bad that this might be the one time in human history when a Promag is more reliable than factory!
    Promags are 15 round. They stick out of the grip about 1/2"-3/4". Ruins the 'pocket-gun'-ness of the piece.

Top Bottom