Just cut the cable, went to internet only! Anyone else been there done that?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I am done paying the ever rising cost of deluxe cable and fighting them year after year to have it reduced. I cancelled today and took both of my HD DVR's back to Time Warner.

I upped the internet to 30mbps because it is common to stream several movies at a time between the wife and kids, along with numerous WiFi devices. I have no idea how bad I am getting screwed, but I am paying $48.14 a month out the door now compared to over $140 a month before.

I have always had Netflix, and just signed up with Hulu Plus. We have Amazon Prime because the free shipping pays for itself and the free videos there are just a bonus.

I guess time will tell if I made a mistake or not. I have not been without cable in over 25 years, so I don't know how this will play out.

If anyone has a better option than Netflix/Hulu/Amazon let me know. I would keep Amazon and Netflix even with cable, Hulu Plus is the only thing I added today.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    No cable, no satellite here. Low end DSL and Netflix plus the broadcast channels in Indy. Personally, I would rather just throw the TV out but that would cause unrest in the home. Movies on DVD from the Library are also good sources. I would rather read books most of the time. YMMV

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    No cable, dish, or broadcast = no commercials and other drivel for the past 3 months. I don't miss it at all. Television is only used to play occasional DVD's. More time for truly enjoyable pastimes

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Currently I only pay for internet on my phone and have not payed for cable in over five years. The internet I use is only on my phone unless I'm in a Public WiFi area where I can use my laptop or tablet.

Custom%20Image_zpsxean7tgu.jpg

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I only pay for internet and the girlfriend has a netflix subscription. Don't miss cable TV and for 99.99 vs 34.99 + 7.95 a month I won't ever miss it. Netflix+internet+ps3 is all the entertainment we need.

P.S. Been without cable and have had netflix only for 3 years, and STILL have yet to run out of things to watch.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Dropped Dish a month ago and have Hulu plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. The wife was reluctant at first but now she binge watches many shows. I suggest getting a roku 3 it has a ton of other channels available. An AR 15 channel, a Mosin Nagant channel plus a few hunting channels.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    We havent cut out TV yet. But its the plan once we move back to Michigan this spring. Barely watch anything but sports on TV anymore. Its netflix or PS4 on the tv for the most part.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    DSL plus Netflix and Amazon Prime for us. We dropped the satellite about 18 months ago and it hasn't been a problem. The only thing I miss is having a DVR for NFL games, but I don't miss it enough to pay for a Tivo.

Roku has a special now on the 3 - it's $20 off for Christmas.

richardh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Iowa
    Got rid of cable over 15 years ago. I read a lot more and get news from radio and internet. We watch an occasional dvd or Netflix movie. I like the peace and quiet.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I ditched the Dish Network in 2008. I have Netflix + apps on my iPad and an HDMI adapter and an antenna where I get all of the Chicago channels and most of the South Bend channels (another Valpo advantage), that's 35+ channels excluding spanish channels- works for me.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Dropped Dish a month ago and have Hulu plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. The wife was reluctant at first but now she binge watches many shows. I suggest getting a roku 3 it has a ton of other channels available. An AR 15 channel, a Mosin Nagant channel plus a few hunting channels.

How do I find such channels? We rock a roku 3 and internet only.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    No cable here. OTA antenna + 2 roku boxes with Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.

If I could get a decent cable + internet package I'd probably go back, but the only cable choices we have are Dish/DirecTV and our internet sucks (TDS).

Top Bottom