• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Kind of have the itch to get a 22 Carbine since 22 is still affordable to shoot and seems like it continues to be available. I am kicking around the idea of a 10/22 take down. Just wonder what others experience may have been with them. And what else you might suggest for a fun range plinker. I have never done much with Red Dots and thought the Ruger might be a good platform to start with.

Thoughts.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Love my 10/22s. Hate the stock sights so ditch those and get tech sights. (work just like AR-15 sights)

The great thing about them is they are the Ford Mustang of the gun world; There is every aftermarket part under the sun for them. You can mod them as little you want, or even mod them to the point it is no longer recognizable. Hell, there are even 3rd party licensed receivers available for you to build up your own rifle from scratch since Ruger doesnt sell stripped receivers.

And this mag release is the bees knees.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Unless you have a specific need for the takedown you would just be getting increased cost and weight. The 10/22 is a fun gun that works well stock or you can customize until there isn't much left.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Unless you have a specific need for the takedown you would just be getting increased cost and weight. The 10/22 is a fun gun that works well stock or you can customize until there isn't much left.
    And if you want a gun that can be lighter/shorter, drop it in this. I used this for both kids instead of a Cricket.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    To be honest I recall seeing the Take Down model just seemed like an interesting option?

Although I like the look of the wood stock seems like synthetic seems to hold up better.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To be honest I recall seeing the Take Down model just seemed like an interesting option?

Although I like the look of the wood stock seems like synthetic seems to hold up better.
    They have a nylon/stainless model multiple nylon models now. That is how I started with mine because I knew I was going to trick mine out and was getting a new stock anyway. And there are lots of used nylon stocks out there for sale for people who upgraded to a better stock.

The only downside is the sling mounts are not strong. So if you practice good sling techniques like the detached loop method, you could possibly rip the sling stud out of the plastic.

You can also upgrade to a hogue overmold stock. Love mine.

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    If your budget allows, may I humbly suggest the Henry Pump 22LR. It's at a higher price point than a 10/22, but holy goodness this should be GUARANTEED to bring smiles to all who shoot it! I just picked one up last weekend. They're tough to find but they are out there and can be scoped. I'll be shooting mine for the first time this Saturday and can't wait to see how much of a hoot it is.

H003T-Pump-Octagon-hero-scaled.jpg

Of course a Golden Boy would also be fun... mine has a super-smooth action and it brings out the cowboy in everyone. Queue up the John Wayne movies and a bowl of popcorn:

H004-Golden-Boy-hero-1-scaled.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and keep your eyes open in a couple weeks. One of my 10/22s was purchased from Dicks this time of year.

Before anyone scolds me for wandering into enemy territory... It was a black friday loss leader. $225. :rockwoot: Pretty sure that is below cost. So it felt good. (And I made sure to decline the accessories and ammo that was suggested with the sale)

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    If you get a 10/22 don't get the one without sights. They sell an "optics ready" model. It does not have the dovetails for the sights. It's a few bucks cheaper, but you lose the ability to add sights.

The synthetic stock is 1/2 pound lighter than the wood, but wood looks better.

There are just too many options for what you can do to/with a 10/22.

There will be sales coming up soon, keep your eyes open.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    If your budget allows, may I humbly suggest the Henry Pump 22LR. It's at a higher price point than a 10/22, but holy goodness this should be GUARANTEED to bring smiles to all who shoot it! I just picked one up last weekend. They're tough to find but they are out there and can be scoped. I'll be shooting mine for the first time this Saturday and can't wait to see how much of a hoot it is.

H003T-Pump-Octagon-hero-scaled.jpg

Of course a Golden Boy would also be fun... mine has a super-smooth action and it brings out the cowboy in everyone. Queue up the John Wayne movies and a bowl of popcorn:

H004-Golden-Boy-hero-1-scaled.jpg
    Well to be honest, I have a Henry lever action it is awesome, however it’s more of a homestead rifle. Before we got our LGD‘S it had taken out several foxes and coyotes.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I like the Henry. 10/22s are great but everyone has one. Dare to be different.
    Pump or lever are both awesome. Then get ya a Ruger wrangler to go with it

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A 10/22 with Tech sights is like a .22 caliber M-1.
    A lever action is, of course, a cowboy gun.
    A pump .22 is just great fun and easier to get back on target when you work the action than a lever.
    Bullseye sights are great. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828132532/

If you want a Red Dot, you might consider putting one on a Ruger Mark whatever pistol. I have a 1.5 power scope on Mark II that I ring steel with at 100 yards.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    A 10/22 with Tech sights is like a .22 caliber M-1.
    A lever action is, of course, a cowboy gun.
    A pump .22 is just great fun and easier to get back on target when you work the action than a lever.
    Bullseye sights are great. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828132532/

If you want a Red Dot, you might consider putting one on a Ruger Mark whatever pistol. I have a 1.5 power scope on Mark II that I ring steel with at 100 yards.
    That is the exact sight that is on my Henry it has the octagon barrel and has never let me down. It will take care of issues very quickly. Not wanting to start the caliber debate, but it is more than adequate.

I am a big fan of the MinI 14 and 30 I have each of them and people will dog on them because they are not AR’s but that’s fine with me. It’s the next best thing to a Springfield 308 version. With out the huge price tag for features That I really would not benefit from.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Oh, and keep your eyes open in a couple weeks. One of my 10/22s was purchased from Dicks this time of year.

Before anyone scolds me for wandering into enemy territory... It was a black friday loss leader. $225. :rockwoot: Pretty sure that is below cost. So it felt good. (And I made sure to decline the accessories and ammo that was suggested with the sale)
    Kind of reminds me when I got ripped on for buying cases of Ammo at Walmart. To me it was worth when I was paying $4.00 a box for perfecta when they clearances it out. I also picked up quite a few 100 round value packs of 45 acp jhp for $12.00 a Box. In my SR 1911 they are more accurate than I and cycle with out any issue.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Red dots on take downs. I love the idea but have had to temper my enthusiasm.

Most take downs have a barrel nut assembly which when taken down and reassembled can change the point of impact. Marlin’s Papoose and the Henry at-7 are perfect examples. The red dot mounts on the receiver and getting the barrel back the same exact way I had zero luck with. Now once sighted in and not taken back down it holds easy.

Rugers take down and brownings auto seem to be a bit better on the barrel lock area and come closer to remaining on target but only closer. The ruger 10/22 takedown was not around then so I can not say for sure but they seem to lock like the browning a bit.

For short work red dots should be OK. Higher power scopes for accuracy work are harder to get right because you are aiming smaller than a dot.

Two I have found that will take down and lock perfect again are marlins 39a Mountie (or original) and the TC contender. Totally different attachment system and the marlin most be tightened correctly.

I have had better luck mounting the red dot on the barrel than the receiver. Kind of a scout scope or cantilever style attachment. Even 870 Remington shotguns shoot slugs better with a cantilever style scope mount than one mounted on the receiver for the same reasons. Barrel to frame fit when broken down and reassembled.

I had a good papoose with a red dot mounted on the barrel.accuracy squirrels body shots close to tree squirrel was in. Sold off and moved up to the browning auto 22 cantilever mount and a small scope. Accuracy squirrels head close to tree squirrel was in.

When I went from tc contender pistol to rifle head shots several trees away and as high a power scope on and off broken down zero shift of impact.

The contender rifle finally did what I wanted with warne QD rings. I can unpack it from the custom case. Slap on the barrel. Slap on the forearm. Slap on the bi-pod. Slap on the scope. Shoot a group. Pack it back up. Repeat and get the same tight groups.

The above was movie sniper assassin inspired.

Top Bottom