• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a Papoose with a bullseye rear sight on the barrel. I can loosen the barrel nut 1/8 turn with no loss of accuracy.
    The marbles bullseye was a idea before I sold off the papoose and in hind sight (see what I did there) I should have kept the wood stocked pappy and just purchased the browning Auto22. In hind sight I should have never sold a single firearm I have ever purchased. I miss the sold off like lost children.

Dots (fine small target dots) and scopes are a bit less forgiving to me than irons and when I aim at the eye of a tree rat I would like to hit the eye not the skull.

I was also looking for a target rifle accuracy from a survival based takedown. My pappy shot pretty well the browning shot better. The contender shoots like a target rifle. So I lost fast shooting for single shot placement.

The whole marlin70 series is under rated for accuracy they produce. Big marlin fanboy here. Do you find the barrel nut loosening when handling or hiking around. Mine stayed very snug but a friends plastic stocked seems to creep loose over time.

Once you feel the trigger of a good gen 1 contender break and drop a hammer. Man hard to explain and will spoil you on triggers.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Do you find the barrel nut loosening when handling or hiking around. Mine stayed very snug but a friends plastic stocked seems to creep loose over time.
    My barrel stays tight. I loosened it as an experiment and decided tightening it to the same torque every time is unnecessary. I usually just go to hand tight.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My barrel stays tight. I loosened it as an experiment and decided tightening it to the same torque every time is unnecessary. I usually just go to hand tight.
    That guy could wear out a 1980’s craftsman screwdriver in a week. He should be over thanksgiving morning to deep fry turkeys so I will have him bring it with him.

I bet he has something wrong or is not getting it tight enough to start off.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That guy could wear out a 1980’s craftsman screwdriver in a week. He should be over thanksgiving morning to deep fry turkeys so I will have him bring it with him.

I bet he has something wrong or is not getting it tight enough to start off.
    If he has problems, he might try a large "O" ring between the barrel flange and the nut.

Top Bottom