just getting around to joining ( Indiana Home Guard )

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Even the wolverines fell apart after 4 months and the only one who had military experience died a I think month after being found by them.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    That is the idea of having a lot of combat veterans ( retired or currently serving ) as the core of the group they help setup realistic training exercises and general combat techniques from their real world experience's and knowledge.

Uh, I'm going to suggest you do one thing before you join:

Ask them for a list of the names and copies of the DD214's of the members in any group to which you'd be attached. That shouldn't be difficult, should it. With all those combat veterans around in their group, they'd understand the need to verify such things. After all, anybody can just say they're a combat veteran. The thousand-yard-stare just takes some practice, but a faked DD214 is a Federal Offense.

They expect you to submit a background check to them, don' they? What's wrong with you asking the same of them and then verifying the information?

Btw, I'd be careful about submitting ANYTHING with my name, DOB, SSN, address, etc. to ANYBODY who doesn't share the same with me, even if I do have LifeLock.

The Professor

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Have you seen our free public schools as of late, and what they are turning out?

L5xn89X_zpsewvpqy4p.jpg

What is that saying we use on here about are EDC side arms" better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" ya I would rather have a state militia in place and not need it, while trying to effect political change. Than not have a state militia and need it.

Right. So when the quote is taken out of context to support "Wolverines!!!" it's relevant. Once it's put into context, meh, education-smeducation, I want to run around in the woods and yell "Wolverines!!!" not go to a school board meeting! Now the quote is irrelevant and discarded (and will likely continue to be used without context) because it doesn't support the decision you've already made, that joining the LARP group is going to help something somehow. The man you *just quoted* says education is the key, not running around in the woods. If you want to keep quoting founding fathers, take a look at how they treated armed insurrection once they set up a representative democracy. See, they faced a real tyranny, a monarchy. They replaced it with a system of ballots and courts, not of bullets and insurrection. Sloganeering with cherry picked quotes with no context isn't a grasp of history, and it doesn't equate you to the minutemen.

It's odd you keep calling it a 'state militia'. Is it recognized by the state? Or is that just trying to get some legitimacy by referring to it as such? These guys probably have the best claim of being the real state militia: IGR: History of the IGR Not as fun, mind you, but probably more useful. Plus, you know, bound by law and reporting to the governor which, IIRC, was something you said about "real militias" early on. Who does your LARP group answer to? Who decides it's tyrant time, other than the group? Do the people of the state who aren't in your LARP troop have a say?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Or of JJ Johnson and his "I'm not an angry white man" speech he gave to a congressional hearing. JJ visited Indiana many times as he was, IIRC, a founding member of the original Ohio State Militia. Scores showed up at these meetings. Many, like you, wanted to feel part of something bigger. They wanted the comfort of knowing that others felt the same way and took solace in the group dynamic.

Heh, I remember an Ohio State Militia group showing up at Knob Creek back in the 90s. A group of obese middle aged white guys straining their cammies and their credibility.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Heh, I remember an Ohio State Militia group showing up at Knob Creek back in the 90s. A group of obese middle aged white guys straining their cammies and their credibility.

Back then, I attended exactly one militia meeting. It was more like a civics class than what one would have expected. Not a single article of camo clothing, and I don't even remember anyone specifically mentioning guns aside from discussion of the Indiana and US Constitutions and their relevant provisions. The most memorable part was after the formal meeting, during the obligatory consumption of soda and snacks, the host's teenage daughter and I had an interesting conversation on the nature of the fact that bad things could happen, but are not guaranteed to happen, and the importance of awareness as a deterrent. I am still satisfied with myself and my handing of that particular 'big brother' moment, and stand by the notion that preparedness is necessary and is also the best tool for seeing that it will not be needed.

Bringing that thought into the present, I would first have to challenge the claim that the IGR stands as a state militia given that it is a state force until the feds decide to take control of it, such that if the events actually happen that motivate people to join private militias, the IGR will either have to mutiny or act as a federal agency. Joining with such concerns in mind would tend to defeat the purpose. On the other hand, from the website furnished by the private militia in question here, I am given to suspect that if the SHTF, it would be most likely to stand as a hostile polity than a defender of truth, freedom, and a return to the Constitution--a problem I suspect to exist with most such organizations which are not composed of people who mutually fraternize otherwise.

Being prepared for whatever may come is good. Having a solid group of friends, family, and neighbors who are likewise prepared is also good. Placing your faith in Supreme General Jelly Doughnut and the Rotund Rascal Militia strikes me as coming with more risks than assurances.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    This video always cracks me up.

"Sargent major tomahawk!!!!"

[video=youtube_share;1ofvLg-KbEE]http://youtu.be/1ofvLg-KbEE[/video]

:rofl::bow: absolutely hilarious!!!! really enjoyed the Indiana group....the commander could have assaulted faster doing a barrel roll down the hill.....:popcorn:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Bringing that thought into the present, I would first have to challenge the claim that the IGR stands as a state militia given that it is a state force until the feds decide to take control of it, such that if the events actually happen that motivate people to join private militias, the IGR will either have to mutiny or act as a federal agency.

The National Guard can be federalized, the IGR stays within Indiana and answers to the governor.

No, the Indiana Guard Reserve is a state defense force, as authorized under United States Code Title 32, Section 109(c). As such, the IGR "may be used within the jurisdiction concerned [Indiana], as its chief executive [the Governor] considers necessary, but it may not be called, ordered, or drafted into the armed forces." However, service in the Indiana Guard Reserve does not exempt a member from being drafted into Federal service as U.S. law may call for in time of need.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    ...snip...I am given to suspect that if the SHTF, it would be most likely to stand as a hostile polity than a defender of truth, freedom, and a return to the Constitution--a problem I suspect to exist with most such organizations which are not composed of people who mutually fraternize otherwise.

Being prepared for whatever may come is good. Having a solid group of friends, family, and neighbors who are likewise prepared is also good. Placing your faith in Supreme General Jelly Doughnut and the Rotund Rascal Militia strikes me as coming with more risks than assurances.

This is the key. Well said.

My advice to anyone who feels attracted to joining a group -- do not waste your time with any 'group' that wants to 'recruit' you. Especially if your only contact with them is a website that collects your applicant information; or a 'guy' on the net who can 'introduce you'. DO get involved with preparedness. Make no mistake, hard times are likely on the way and none of us are getting through it by ourselves. We have to be connected to others or we've lost before it starts. DO train for whatever might be coming - learn new skills, build a lifestyle around preparing, know your weapons... Do make it a priority to own and maintain the correct equipment, clothing, tools, food preps, etc to sustain/protect your family through any dangerous or calamitous times in our uncertain future. But most of all, do know yourself and test yourself. ...and do all these things as part of your local extended family group. Not strangers.

Don't bother with someone else's group that has ranks and leaders and objectives. Focus that same time and energy instead on your family, your friends, your local community, your personal tribe. Be organized and be ready for sure - and do something everyday to make your team more ready. But do it with people you already have in your life. Maybe you invite some more friends to also work with you; and maybe you also make some new friends along the way. If it is important enough to join some group on the web, then it is important enough to make it a priority with the people who already love you -- start with your own sphere of influence.

I suppose its possible that a person could feel like they do not have family, friends, and tribe to prepare with and fight along side when the time comes. A person like that would be worthless at any rate when the French and Indians attack, because they would have nothing to fight for. So, any group full of those people would only be dangerous for its members. No thank you.

Focus on family and local friends.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    That video was awesome (the Red Dawn Video).

And guess what? They had a crap-ton of fun! No Commander Bellybuster, No BS about training or taking back the country.

I'm still a bit sad someone didn't piddle in a radiator, though.

The Professor

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    So in the SHTF forum nobody thinks the S might HTF?

So I guess a lot of food & supply hoarder's here then.

What does poop hitting the fan have to do with a desire to avoid aligning oneself with a group with dubious motivations and abilities? The words 'local militia' conjure up bad vibes for a reason. Also, this is the Survival and Disaster Preparedness Forum, not the OMG SHTF Lets Dress in BDU's and Wave Our Guns Around forum.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    OK, let's not be too hard on BADWOLF. My impression is that he is relatively new to a number of subjects including this, and I can understand under such conditions why he would be inclined toward finding an ostensibly helpful group to assist in the process of becoming proficient with preparedness. It is also easy for me to understand that someone newer to such thinking would not make some of the distinctions I would make in dealing with some of the people one may encounter. I will also grant him that good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment. That said, while I would recommend avoiding such a group as this both as a matter of the general principle of not 'signing on' with a group of what amount to strangers one finds via their website complete with membership application and some things I saw on this particular group's website that I consider cause for concern, it still makes sense to me that someone seeking good guidance could be drawn to this.

This is one of those times which calls for patience and good instruction. That said, here are my recommendations for BADWOLF:

1. Focus on the pedestrian things first. I, for one, am very attached to my habits of living indoors and eating regularly in the fashion to which I have become accustomed, and breakdown of civil order is far from the only threat to these habits. Under this umbrella, I recommend that you take up gardening, canning, root cellaring, and any other form of preservation you can master, preferably without requiring a constant application of electricity, as it is one of our more fragile commodities which most of us consider 'necessary'.

2. Focus on your friends and neighbors. If you live in Seymour, for example, don't expect Supreme General Jelly Donut and the gang to make a special trip from Indianapolis, Columbus, Jeffersonville, Richmond, or wherever they may happen to be to bail you out, especially if you already left the majority of your supplies at their place. This is one of those situations in which you will largely come as you are, especially in terms of security against bad actors. This is where you need to be able to count on the guy next door each way and the guy across the street, not someone on the other side of the state, and where you need to be able to count on friends and family who are actually going to make an earnest effort to get to you (or you to them, as the case may be) based on a solid relationship beyond possession of a membership card issued by the Supreme General's membership director.

3. Focus on making your home or the home of the friend whose home will serve as the gathering point secure as possible, and at minimum, the hardest target in the general area. Criminals are generally lazy, otherwise they would work for a living and/or gather their own preps over time. Don't be the low-hanging fruit.

4. Be the gray man to the greatest extent possible. Don't put up razor wire in your front yard where barberry bushes will serve the same purpose and look like aesthetic landscape elements (at least until the invader gets his ass scratched really good) and DO NOT scream, "I have sh*t I am hiding/storing/keeping from your thieving paws!" Don't put bars on the windows that look like they were salvaged from a circa 1920 jailhouse. If you must, use elements that look aesthetic, not like fortifications. Perhaps most important, wear your normal clothes which should be strong and durable, but not look like you went full mall ninja. Don't wear BDUs when a good set of jeans and a stout shirt will work at least as well without drawing unwanted attention to yourself.

5. Address your training needs with real trainers with real reputations. There are different trainers who participate on INGO who I would go to for different needs. Yes, I could probably come up with one or two that I wouldn't, although that could be for personal or professional reasons. The bottom line is that they are people we know and about whom we can make informed decisions. The same CANNOT be said for Supreme General Jelly Donut or any of his 'crew'.

6. I am going to reiterate point 1 with a slightly different slant. In Indiana, we have a number of potential threats that go well beyond hitting a bump in the civil order road and #BLM deciding that #NBLDM leading to Ferguson 2.0, #Jihad going on the warpath, or a disruption in live as we know it resulting in large scale theft and mayhem at the hands of traditional common criminals, or even getting invaded by the UN. At least and probably more likely, we could have a catastrophic power grid breakdown. Just imagine what the absence of refrigeration and the means to transfer fuel would do to our 'normal'. We could have seismic activity which could bring any number of serious problems including utility disruption and structural disruption of your shelter. Solar activity could result in any number of disruptive effects on our happy collection of 'necessary' modern conveniences. My alpacas could decide they don't like people any more and show up at your door to kick your ass (just kidding, they wouldn't really do that). Any way you slice it, you are going to need to eat, meaning you need storage-stable food (and for the most part, I do not mean a collection of 25 years in a square bucket dehydrated pseudo-food) and the means to prepare it. This means thinking of everything down to firewood and/or a charcoal grill (or a gas grill if you plan for an intermediate term emergency that will last days or perhaps weeks, not months or longer). These are problems you cannot solve and solutions you cannot implement by running around the woods in your BDUs with guns, unless of course Supreme General Jelly Donut just didn't really spell out that he does not mean to constructively deal with non-combat emergencies, but rather help himself to someone else's preps.

All said and done, I am going to encourage BADWOLF to really think this through before committing himself to anything, and encourage all others to reflect, and most important, to lighten up on him and others who may be considering the same type of move. We need to bring them useful information and guidance, not disparage them. After all, they wouldn't be considering going to Supreme General Jelly Donut if they didn't realize that they need guidance and didn't find themselves at a loss for where to find it.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    One rule of thumb is this: If you look like a Rambo, then you will be treated like a Rambo. If you ever saw the movie then you know Johnny Law and the Feds don't like "Rambos". Keep that in mind before you run off with some group and end up taking over the local "Ranger Rick" station...

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    One rule of thumb is this: If you look like a Rambo, then you will be treated like a Rambo. If you ever saw the movie then you know Johnny Law and the Feds don't like "Rambos". Keep that in mind before you run off with some group and end up taking over the local "Ranger Rick" station...

Hey as long as their is free sex toys involved... I'm in.

Top Bottom