• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCA1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, so my wife and I stop by Gander Mountain on Lima Road in Fort Wayne tonight to check out prices on 10/22s on which to spend my Christmas gift cards. While we were there, we decided to look at the handguns, too.

We bought a G26 for my wife about 8 years ago. She is an excellent shot, but when I picked up a G19 a year ago, she liked it so much that it became hers! She likes the longer grip because it helps her control the recoil. (She is quite petite.)

Anyway, she has a LTCH, but does not carry due to the difficulties in hiding it on her tiny frame. So, I have been researching other models that would still be at least 9mm, but easier to conceal, while still having enough of a grip for her to feel comfortable with it.

We looked at the Taurus 709 Slim and the Beretta Px4 Storm. She really liked the grip of the Px4. I noticed some 1911s, and asked to see one of those, as well. My wife has fired my brother's Taurus PT1911, and all she remembers is not being as accurate with it as she is with the G19. I asked her if she remembered the recoil? "No," she said. So, I thought I would at least have her hold a 1911 to see how it felt in her hand. I had no plans to buy a full size 1911 for her to carry. But, possibly a shorter frame 1911 in 9mm. I just want to find something she is comfortable with and will carry.

About that time, one of the other "customer service representatives" walked up and whispered something in the ear of the guy helping us, laughed, and walked away. I had heard of salesmen having opinions of what women should carry, but had not experienced anything like this before.

Maybe I am over-reacting, but the handguns went back in the case, and no 10/22 went out the door with me, either.

Anyway, I feel better now that I have vented. But, the search for a suitable carry gun for my wife continues...

Josh

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Maybe he whispered something about the size of his penis to the other sales rep.

Maybe the are secret gay lovers and it was about a favorite postion.

1000's of things it could have been, why so upset? Did you hear it? Were they looking directly at you?

Maybe he said "How did this loser end up with a hottie who likes guns?"

JCA1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Did you overhear what it was he whispered?

I.E. do you know it was something about your or your wife, or even women in general?

No, I didn't, which is why I said that I it is possible that I over-reacted. But, there was also another salesman and one of the customers that seemed to be taking a greater interest in us than I felt appropriate.

I figured that at worst, it was a snide comment about a woman handling a 1911, or at best, simply a poorly-timed and unprofessional joke between co-workers in front of potential customers. Either way, not the way to make people feel comfortable asking questions and doing research.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sometimes it's just toilet paper stuck to my shoe or a booger in the 'stache. ;)

But you're right. At least a poorly-timed joke between co-workers in front of potential customers.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I go to the same Gander sometimes, but rarely leave with anything. I have talked to most of the employees there and also the gunsmith. Here is what I think, and please understand this is just my personal opinion.

They are some of the dumbest people I have ever met!

First off the gunsmith blew off one of his fingers because he got confused between a snap cap and a live round. Bad enough, I saw him at the hospital becuase I work in surgery. I am also good friends with everyone at H&H in Ft Wayne and can tell you that several customers that used the Gander gunsmith were very dissappointed when they realized that this so called gunsmith uses "Red" locktite to mount their optics.

Second, the employees are not properly trained and most have no clue what they are talking about.

My wife is in the same boat as yours, petite and wanting to carry, but its harder for them then us men. Im sure my wife could shoot circles around the so called gun experts hired by Gander.

Regardless of what was said, I would think twice about it!
    and again...this is only my opinion....:D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Did you overhear what it was he whispered?

I.E. do you know it was something about your or your wife, or even women in general?

Doesn't matter if it was about him or not. It was rude of them to have a whispered aside (especially with laughter involved) in front of a customer for this exact reason. The customer now thinks it's about him. If it's so important, he could have stepped away for a moment. If it was just a little joke, it can wait until the customer is gone.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Doesn't matter if it was about him or not. It was rude of them to have a whispered aside (especially with laughter involved) in front of a customer for this exact reason. The customer now thinks it's about him. If it's so important, he could have stepped away for a moment. If it was just a little joke, it can wait until the customer is gone.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Weather it was about you folks or not it was still very unprofessional. That is one thing I have noticed about "big" business recently it seems ok for the company or their employees to act in certain ways because they are big and a million other customers will come their way. In the recent months I have tried to buy locally when possible, even if it is a extra buck or two.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Oh ok. I assumed that (this being the "Women and Firearms" subforum) this was about the clerk making a joke about a woman shooting a 1911. I didn't know we were talking about whether whispering and laughing was rude or about customer service skills. I shouldn't assume.

To the OP: it sucks either way and hopefully they weren't whispering about your wife's choice in handguns. I don't want to generalize about Gander Mountain gun counter employees, but maybe you should avoid that particular store in the future.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh ok. I assumed that (this being the "Women and Firearms" subforum) this was about the clerk making a joke about a woman shooting a 1911. I didn't know we were talking about whether whispering and laughing was rude or about customer service skills. I shouldn't assume.

I'm with you there. I can tell you that Spasmo gets pretty self-conscious about stuff like that and she would assume they were talking about her and end up getting upset.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Although I think you might have over reacted, the sales idiots should not tell each other jokes when working with customers. Based on the fact that they did it, regardless as to what the joke was, I agree with what you did when you walked out without a purchase.

rwbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    i've always thought it was rude to whisper in front of anybody it makes people uncomfortable.you were right to take your business elsewhere.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm just flabbergasted that the gun counter Ft. Wayne Gander guys were paying attention to her at all.
    Wait...there was a man with her. Never mind.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I get the impression there was some body language involved that contributed to your reaction. One way to clarify things would have been to quietly ask the salesman what was said. His reaction would have revealed a great deal, but nothing really would have been gained by a confrontation.

The problem is with the salesman, not the company. Gander Mountain cannot exercise complete control over their personnel. The guy will still be a pig, no matter what kind of training Gander provides. So all you can do is leave and chill. :chillpill:

Top Bottom