Just joined the M1A club after years of thinking about it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For whatever it's worth, I bought one of these mag pouches from Maxpedition to see how well it worked and last night it came in. I stuff two mags in it and they were tight enough that I could pull one mag out and the other would still have some amount of retention on it along with gravity allowing the Velcro lip to fall back down. I'm probably going to be going with more of these mag pouches for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VMRZM0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    For whatever it's worth, I bought one of these mag pouches from Maxpedition to see how well it worked and last night it came in. I stuff two mags in it and they were tight enough that I could pull one mag out and the other would still have some amount of retention on it along with gravity allowing the Velcro lip to fall back down. I'm probably going to be going with more of these mag pouches for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VMRZM0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link on those, i've got some surplus stuff for mine but those look nice!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for the link on those, i've got some surplus stuff for mine but those look nice!

I've got an old Alice belt with M16 mag pouches on it that I've used for just about everything over the years. As much as I want to get all high speed at times, that old tried and true surplus stuff is still pretty hard to beat. That maxpedition pouch will probably end up on that Alice belt soon as I figure out the new fangled molle attachment.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've got an old Alice belt with M16 mag pouches on it that I've used for just about everything over the years. As much as I want to get all high speed at times, that old tried and true surplus stuff is still pretty hard to beat. That maxpedition pouch will probably end up on that Alice belt soon as I figure out the new fangled molle attachment.

I do as well, I almost need a second belt for the 7.62 setup!

BuickGS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Winamac
    Welcome to the club with your M1A. I bought mine in 2000 which is why there is no Bayonet lug. Factory Springfield optics and mount. I have had luck with surplus magazines marked KCI and HMR. I think the KCI are Korean. Before the crime bill sunset 10 round magazines were 45- 50 $ and 20 round mags were like hens teeth I remember it was popular to modify M1A 20 rounders to fit AR10's. Glad those days are over. Glad I got it when I did, cant afford to buy one now. Battle packs of 308 were like 89 $ then. Now I feel old. M1A.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    These days you're lucky to find brass cased factory new ammo for under $0.50 a piece, but it can be done. I think the prices of all ammo will continue to drop with the Trump presidency, at least I've got my fingers crossed anyway.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thankfully there are a lot of choices for pouches. The M14 uses a magazine size that is shared by most other rifles of it's type in the west. So there is a lot of types to chose from. (FAL, G3, SR-25, etc)

Also. Any pouch that holds 3 stanag 5.56 magazines will also hold 2 of the M14 magazines.

If your looking for a big pouch. Any pouch that holds a 200 round belt for the M249 SAW will perfectly hold 5 M14 magazines.

sensor5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    I own two Springfield M1As and one James River Armory Rockola M14. My JRA M14 is a better clone and more accurate than my Springfields. The JRA is about $700 more than the standard Springfield, but is is filled with USGI parts and has a new chrome lined barrel, to include a like-new USGI stock with the appropriate stamps in the wood.

Top Bottom