• ...and so much more!
  • clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Biggest thing is to go get a tetanus shot if you do not have a up to date one. This would be a deep wound and should be treated by a doctor or the ER.

I would use any disinfectant on the surface of the wound.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I know Tetanus shot right! Cant remember the last time i had one! Fell through a roof when I was a kid tore me up, had stitches and a tetanus shot. Had a fish hook rip through the palm of my hand ten years ago and the nurse said I was fine on shots. Now I am wondering.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    In the course of my life I've stepped on, had my hand pierced by (crawling under a deck) may have had a tetanus shot in my
    Earlier years. Just wash it off.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I find this kinda funny.

1. Guy steps on nail.
    2. Guy has several first aid kits.
    3. Posts on a survival forum, because he has no idea how to treat the wound.

I wonder how much good all of our purchased "survival equipment" is without the head knowledge to use it when the internet goes down....

Not trying to be a jerk, but how dependant is modern man on the internet eh?

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    weird habit - but long ago we got our tetanus shot on the "zero's"

1990 - shot
    2000 - shot
    2010 - shot

Just easier to remember.

If you can't remember last time - go get one. Then you can get your next one in 2020.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    A real man would just bite the nail off and chew it up to show any "critters" that might have gotten into his blood stream what he will do to them if they decide to hang around....should be enough to send em running scared.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    For future reference:
    Wash wound thoroughly with soap, antibacterial, if possible
    Wash wound again.
    Wash wound again. If you're not getting the idea, the point is that you will not clean all the crap out of that wound with standard cleaning techniques.

Band-aid with neosporin (or any triple antibiotic: for the curious, these contain bacitracin, polymixin, and neomycin)
    Go to an urgent-care or other "doc in a box" if possible ASAP, preferably in hours, not days, ER if you must, but let them do their thing. They may want to clean it more. More cleaning is good. Make sure you tell them your tetanus history. If you've had one in the last five years, you're probably OK. If it's been more than five, expect to get one. If it's more than ten years, the last one you had is worthless to you. If you don't know, tell them that and roll up your sleeve.

The arm you get it in will be sore the next day. Use that arm to work the med in, and the soreness should go away more quickly.

Good luck.

Blessings,
    Bill

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Bolt cutter, cut it off at the skin and leave it in. Your body will have a new source of iron. If it is in deep, cut off the nail head and drive it through and pull it out the other side.

Geesh............That is what my survival book says.......

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    FYI, tetanus is only good for 5 years. If you haven't had one in the last 5 years, it would be a good idea to get one.
    This.

When you see your Doc just start talking about chainsaws, knives, clearing brush and swamps, hunting, guns and crazy GF's. You will get a tetnaus shot before anything else is done.

I ask for them.

Top Bottom