Just stopping in to show of my nutcracker..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dono12b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Just stopping in to show off my nutcracker-15 lol I had the chance to snag a meme lower from PSA and I’m pretty happy with it. Took a good while to get here. I also purchased an aero lower about a week ago and it’ll be here this week. Super excited to get to building these. Anyone have any good place to get a good set of punches I got as far as I could with no punches and no trigger. So not very far lol.

Attachments

• 5FEE3C96-D05F-453A-A6B7-A77A386D796B.jpeg
      5FEE3C96-D05F-453A-A6B7-A77A386D796B.jpeg
      310.7 KB · Views: 107
    • 780348A9-FBC1-4239-9E22-690E56EBE1A4.jpeg
      780348A9-FBC1-4239-9E22-690E56EBE1A4.jpeg
      1.7 MB · Views: 107

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I have not used a punch in a while. I have a set, but find it much faster and less stressful to use a set of pliers for the roll pins.

Get a Knipex parallel jaw style 86-03-180. normally Menards has them in stock.

they have so many uses around the house, and not limited to roll pins like a set of roll pin punches would be.

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    I have not used a punch in a while. I have a set, but find it much faster and less stressful to use a set of pliers for the roll pins.

Get a Knipex parallel jaw style 86-03-180. normally Menards has them in stock.

they have so many uses around the house, and not limited to roll pins like a set of roll pin punches would be.
    Same here. I do the pliers and electrical tape thing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Brownells has as complete a selection of gun smith tools as I have found.
    Standard/ roll pin /roll pin starter specific punch sets. I have all of these.

Black tape and pliers.....:faint:

No knock but seriously peoples. If you intend to build/work on anything firearm's get some tools. They well be so much easier to use in the long run.

JMHO of course.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Brownells has as complete a selection of gun smith tools as I have found.
    Standard/ roll pin /roll pin starter specific punch sets. I have all of these.

Black tape and pliers.....:faint:

No knock but seriously peoples. If you intend to build/work on anything firearm's get some tools. They well be so much easier to use in the long run.

JMHO of course.
    So you use electric tape too CM. I switched to it after my 1st scratch on my 1st lower using masking tape. 2 layers of electrical tape protects really well unless you go full stupid trying to get a roll pin in.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I use tape but I have a proper roll pin starting punch. No pliers.
    I have, and use, roll pin punches to start and finish; pliers for the push. But for the average guy putting a lower together; spending more money than the lower cost, may not be in the cards.
    I would be uncomfortable with ‘normal’ pliers, but would never regret buying and using the above mentioned...even without tape.

I know people that have tapped lowers together with nails and 2x4’s.

Different strokes for different blokes I suppose

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have, and use, roll pin punches to start and finish; pliers for the push. But for the average guy putting a lower together; spending more money than the lower cost, may not be in the cards.
    I would be uncomfortable with ‘normal’ pliers, but would never regret buying and using the above mentioned...even without tape.

Makes me break out in Hives.....:lmfao:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

You scratch one and it's very irritating. Like I said earlier that first upper and lower was a learning experience and it received a few scratch which made me angry at myself. Now its down to a fine art and maybe 30 minutes tops if something is stubborn on a lower about the same for an upper. You learn little tricks as you go.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ever watched Larry Potterfield's How to build an AR video? In the intro the amount of tools that he says you NEED to build one is comical. An entire workbench covered in them. All sold by him of course.

And I found a modified finishing nail is a perfect pin driver for the bolt catch lever. Dremel the tip flat and its awesome. My punch set's tips are about an inch too short to do it without scuffing the lower, even with tape.

Top Bottom