• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    As title suggests, I just took the plunge, and ordered an RCBS Rock Chucker Master Supreme reloading kit, dies for 223 and 9mm. Also ordered a brass tumbler, media, and a bullet puller. I bought a Lyman reloading manual last week. Best price I could find was Cabellas, plus, they had free shipping. Next up is powder and bullets. I know there are more things to buy, and they will come with time.
    I really debated doing this, as during the panic a couple years ago, powder and primers were as scarce as 22 LR ammo. Who knows what November will bring. (Don't want to start a political discussion here.) I will be stocking up on these though.
    Since I just retired a couple months ago, I think this will be a good hobby to take up and supplement my shooting hobby. I know I have a lot to learn. There are many great resources for this, as I am learning. I may be posting some questions on here in the future, so please help me if you can.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Congrats on your new adventure.

Post up your location and I'm betting you will get offers to let you take a look at an INGO members setup.

Get a Lee Second Edition manual as well.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to the club!

When you find yourself going to the range to shoot, only so you can collect your own brass to reload; you'll know you've gone over the edge!

223 and 9mm are MILES apart in process and precision.

With only a few years more than you in this hobby, I'd suggest you start with 9mm and get really, really good at making those before moving to 223.

I think the 9mm is a great round to start with. .45acp might be better, because its bigger and easier to manipulate. But I'd get good at a pistol round before I started dealing with lubricating a bottle necked rifle round. A 55gr 223 looks like a grain of rice to my tired eyes. :):

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I have only started about 2 years ago now. Started with 9mm the .40 and .380. Now I'm up to .223 and 300blackout. I started with the lyman 49th but found it a bit lacking personally so picked up the lee 2nd edition. Lyman has the 50th out now. I read through both books and gave it a shot with just loading bullets into empty brass to learn how much I should bell. Overcrimped 20 of my first loads and never shot them. I posted a few problems on here and got good feedback on all my problems.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    Welcome to the obsession.

I've been reloading 9 mm for a few years now . . . It gets me off the couch and keeps me out of the refrigerator. More importantly, it's a cool hobby. If you have questions, there are many knowledgeable people here to help. Have fun.

dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    user-offline.png

Marksman
    supporter.gif
    reputation_green.gif
    Join DateMay 2015LocationIndianapolisPosts430
    I think that RCBS puts a Speer reloading handbook in with their Rock Chucker Master Supreme reloading kit.

Yes they do. Bought the Lyman because I need at least two for additional info.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Welcome, I love the process and it is relaxing for me. Read the books ask questions and follow published data exactly and you should find it rewarding. You WILL make mistakes QC is up to you. You have started with good equipment so you are ahead of the curve already.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It was about 28 years ago when (dad and) I "took the plunge" into metallic cartridge reloading. Up until then, it had just been shotgun shells. Our neighbor, Will Harris, came over and showed us the basics, plus I read a ton about it in just a few short weeks. My passion for reloading dwindled a bit when my children were young, but I have had a bench set up virtually every day in those 28 years. At the present time, I reload for 20-odd cartridges, including some wildcats and old, obscure rounds.

If you are a detail-oriented person who places quality above productivity, you will do just fine loading your own ammo. Yes, there are quite a few important details to attend to, but it really isn't all THAT difficult or dangerous. If you can find someone local who has a little experience, and is willing to show you a few times, you'll alleviate some of the anxiety that always comes with loading and shooting your first few rounds. Otherwise, just follow the process and the recipe to the letter...you'll do fine. :)

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Best adivce....don't get in hurry. 2nd....double check your power charge, when you get into powder that easily double charge its a good habit. Have fun and be safe.

dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I already figured out, I forgot to order the shell holders. Oh well, I can pick these up locally when I go for powder and primers. I will be taking my time, and am a very meticulous person. My LGS told me to jump right in there with a Dillon 550 progressive setup, and crank out 4 to 5 hundred rounds an hour. I told him I would rather go slow, and learn the basics thoroughly before I went to a progressive. Besides, 500 rounds would last me about a month. Most of my shooting is with 22LR. I do have a good stash of that. One of my first priorities will be to figure out my powder and primer favorites so I can stock up before November.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Welcome to reloading!

I've long believed a single stage press is a great way to start. Even after you get a progressive press, you'll use the single stage for many tasks. I still load my precision rifle rounds on a Rock Chucker.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    Wow! I just got home from work and found my Lee Classic Turret Kit waiting for me, then I logged on and saw your thread. Been thinking about doing this for a long time. Picked up 500 Berry's bullets in .45 ACP and 9mm at Cabelas. I got some primers too. They were on sale and 10% Military discount last weekend. The kit came with a Lee's 2nd edition hardback. I still need to get powder and dies. Wanted to pick up powder and bullets from Bobcat because of site support and he is from the town next to where I grew up in Oregon. I wish I could afford a Dillon, because I'd have bought one off of him, but I'll make due for now. Looking to do .223, .45, and 9mm. I just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle but don't think I'll jump right into that just yet. I like the suggestion to start with 9mm. I have some maintenance to do at the VFW Saturday morning, then all weekend to drink coffee and check out the new toy. I got some good info at Sgreen3's shoot last weekend. People in this community share and are really helpful and that is what makes it great. If anyone has any good "The first time I reloaded I did this.... stories" I'd like to here 'em. I plan to tell on myself plenty and ask people smarter than me ( just about everyone that can use a computer falls into this category) for help.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I think that is a great first kit. It is the one I started with. Now I use the Rockchucker for rifle and a turret for pistol. With two little ones I don't have enough shooting time to need a progressive. If anyone is close at all to Shelbyville check out Bobcat Steel for bullets/primers/powder. For online sources I like xtreme bullets especially for pistol. They tend to be cheaper than berrys unless you find a great deal. They also have sales a lot. (I picked up 500 .40 s&w bullets at the NRA show for 40 bucks). They gave me some 223 bullets to try but I haven't yet.

I also order rifle bullets from Grafs and Natchez. They can also be good sources for primers and powder if you can buy quite a bit at one time. Also powder valley for powder again if you order a lot to offset the hazmat fees.

I would recommend keeping your work area as organized as possible and keeping rifle and pistol powder in separate places or at least a different shelf. Same with primers. There are many examples of guys using the wrong primers. And I know of one dummy who loaded some pistol rounds wih rifle powder because the cans were right next to each other. (Me)

rekaddab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2016
    crowheart
    have been loading since 1972 and excellent advice given above - I would add - Pay attention and do not allow distractions because they do lead to mistakes- I will not let my wife in my reloading area while I am working - I loaded a 22-250 round with no powder and I was lucky it the bullet stuck where I could not get another round in the chamber when fired/ Another time I was loading 17 remingtons with 20 and 25 gr hornadys - I mixed the bullets and had a high powder load for the heavier load and it stuck the case in the bolt - In both instances my wife was asking me questions while I was loading - hence my rules - PAY ATTENTION AND NO DISTRACTIONS-

Top Bottom