• ...and so much more!
  • Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I guess I don't possess the gene that makes me have to fight everyone to feel important. Cases where people want to cause a fight, I just leave. ain't worth it.
    It's a damn poor set of legs that stand around and let the body be abused...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Dunning-Kruger Effect. We see it in those who watch little video clips in the news and making a judgment simply based on them. We are seeing it here as well. It "looks" bad. However, we should be more interested in that it "is". In order to know that, we need more information. The video is just one part.
    When I discovered what the Dunning-Kruger effect was, I realized that I experience several times a day every day.

1689085675084.png

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I've seen some posts here about the shooter's "smug" face. I'm not a psychologist, but I have seen several situations where someone reverts to a smiling face when they are uncomfortable, or in shock. The best example was Nick Sandman (I believe his name was this) from the Covington Situation a few years ago. I've noticed myself unintentionally grinning in certain situations when I felt like I was called out for no reason and uncomfortable. With that being said, I'm not saying that was the case here, but it could have been, who the heck knows.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    While there may be some instances where a shot to the back is justified (assailant is running to better cover, a loaded firearm, another victim, etc.), this video does not clearly show any of those things. To me it shows an assailant become a victim. I am commenting to this video and not alternate scenarios.

I do know I would not have shot in this instance. I would like to think I would have been able to deescalate and as quickly as possible remove myself from the situation. I also know I won't go online and say anything anyone else says is dumb.
    One thing we all probably would do well to realize, is everyone's "shoot point" in a situation could be different, based on the threat you can articulate and the disparity of force involved. For example, you state you're very large and up for a scrap. Great for you, but a 19 year-old female might be different, for example.

Just because someone is a 240lb. BJJ tournament star, does not mean everyone else is obligated or wise to draw the "shoot line" in the same place as that person. There really can be more than one right answer to the same scenario, depending who the "victim" is.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    One thing we all probably would do well to realize, is everyone's "shoot point" in a situation could be different, based on the threat you can articulate and the disparity of force involved. For example, you state you're very large and up for a scrap. Great for you, but a 19 year-old female might be different, for example.

Just because someone is a 240lb. BJJ tournament star, does not mean everyone else is obligated or wise to draw the "shoot line" in the same place as that person. There really can be more than one right answer to the same scenario, depending who the "victim" is.
    I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what a BJ tournament star is and what the "shoot line" reference was meant to convey...........

It may be time to start using reading glasses.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've always been a small guy and I've seen plenty of big guys intimidate small guys in the workforce and outside of work. I think in this thread we've seen a fellow member attempt the same thing. :nono:
    Where in the hell did "we" see anything of the like in this thread?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    LOL, a member simply stating that they are a big guy is not intimidation in any way, shape, or form. Neither is posting a dissenting opinion.
    ?

" I have a lifetime of Napoleon stories where I have to deal with people like that. They usually earn the bruises they get. A shove isn't deadly force. Sometimes, a man has to take his beating. If the little dude instigated the fight, its murder either way."

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    ?

" I have a lifetime of Napoleon stories where I have to deal with people like that. They usually earn the bruises they get. A shove isn't deadly force. Sometimes, a man has to take his beating. If the little dude instigated the fight, its murder either way."
    Again when someone is getting pushed/hit/ knocked repeatedly into a fixed object (car, sidewalk, doorframe etc) it changes the dynamics no matter the size of the participants. That is “Serious Bodily Injury” and has been proven time and time again in court as justified and reasonable for the receiver to use deadly force. (while George Zimmerman was an idiot for following Trayvon Martin him getting his head smashed into the sidewalk is why the jury acquitted Mr Zimmerman)

So respectfully to make a blanket claim it was murder either way is either emotions talking or believing antiquated advice from folks that are ignorant of how articulation in a Use of Deadly force matters.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    ?

Yes, I read the post, multiple times before and again now, and I repeat what is intimidating to you about it? The context of the post seems to be directed at little men picking fights with larger men, do you object to big men defending themselves because they are larger? Or the suggestion that someone who instigates a fight should accept a beating if things don't go their way?

There are some questionable thoughts there, a shove certainly could be deadly force in some situations and it is well beyond foolish for a big guy to respond to any kind of provocation with physical action, but intimidation it is not.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    So respectfully to make a blanket claim it was murder either way is either emotions talking or believing antiquated advice from folks that are ignorant of how articulation in a Use of Deadly force matters.
    Or it is simply an expression of personal opinion. Whether shooting someone in the back is murder is debatable. While reasonable people should conclude that it depends on context, there is no guarantee reasonable people will be involved in any step of the legal process. Whether ending a fight one started with deadly force is murder is also debatable and dependent on location to a large extent.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Or it is simply an expression of personal opinion. Whether shooting someone in the back is murder is debatable. While reasonable people should conclude that it depends on context, there is no guarantee reasonable people will be involved in any step of the legal process. Whether ending a fight one started with deadly force is murder is also debatable and dependent on location to a large extent.
    There is no doubt articulating everything. From Your statement (why it’s recommended to get guidance before you get into the weeds other than the obvious they dropped their gun over there X,wZ)

To if if it goes to trial your defense team needs to know use of force laws and how to articulate the defendent was reasonable.

My issue is a lot of folks want to blanket statement on their opinion and not back up and see how cases and court cases have turned out.

Things have changed since 1960 and reruns of Gunsmoke it’s never an absolute!

Top Bottom