• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seven High

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    CM9s are very tight pistols with very strong springs. Expect to have a break in period of aproximately 200 rounds before complete reliability. They need to be well lubed.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I just bought one myself. It's my third Kahr, after a PM9 (which I sold, but shouldn't have) and an MK40 (heavier, but an awesome little gun). I'm planning on using the CM9 for pocket carry in warmer weather...the weight of the MK40 isn't a problem in jeans, but in summer clothing I wanted something more lightweight.

The CM9 appears to be a heck of a deal. It's $200-$250 less than the PM9, and the differences are not all that important to me. The engraving on the slide is simpler (don't care), the barrel is conventionally, rather than polygonally, rifled (don't care...this is a close-range self-defense pistol), slide lock lever is MIM rather than machined (I guess I know what that means, but don't know why I should care), and it only comes with one magazine, which can be purchased for 40 bucks anyway. The front sight isn't dovetailed, but I wasn't planning on replacing it. (See this link for more info on the CM vs. PM issue.)

My CM9 has seen exactly 100 rounds so far. I had two failures to feed in the first magazine, and no feeding problems after that. I'll be heading back to the range this week for the second 100 rounds. Retraction of the slide felt a bit gritty/rough before the gun had been fired; it feels smoother after 100 rounds. Excellent gun, I'm really pleased so far. Every Kahr I've seen seems to be a high-quality weapon.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    ...one more thing--don't be too frustrated by the difficulty of disassembly. Getting the slide lock lever out of there can be a pain at first, but it gets easier as the gun is broken in and you get a feel for it. I have to use something plastic, like the plastic handle of a wire brush, to dislodge it.

Also, my personal opinion is that a pocket piece like this, that does not have a manual safety, should always be carried in a pocket holster. The Desantis Nemesis works great.

tyler_durden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Westfield
    I bought one to carry and love it. I had a glock 19 but didn't carry it as much as I wanted to due the size. The cm9 has been reliable but it is very tight. Also you have to load it by locking the slide back, inserting the fullag and dropping the slide. I've tried racking it with a full mag already in there and it has jammed the round into the ramp. I actually had it seat the bullet down about 1/8 of an inch. Other than that it's a great gun. Handles recoil very very well for its size and very accurate.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have found the same to be true. The CM9 is a great pocket gun. I keep mine in a Raven Concealment pocket holster! :ingo:

I bought one to carry and love it. I had a glock 19 but didn't carry it as much as I wanted to due the size. The cm9 has been reliable but it is very tight. Also you have to load it by locking the slide back, inserting the fullag and dropping the slide. I've tried racking it with a full mag already in there and it has jammed the round into the ramp. I actually had it seat the bullet down about 1/8 of an inch. Other than that it's a great gun. Handles recoil very very well for its size and very accurate.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Also you have to load it by locking the slide back, inserting the fullag and dropping the slide.
    I believe that is the procedure that Kahr recommends in the owner's manual (see page 16). I generally have done this with all of my Kahrs, although I've not had any issues when I load them by pulling the slide back with a full magazine inserted. Kind of interesting...I'm not sure what the difference would be, as long as one completely retracts the slide.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I just picked up a new PM9 for used price. Bought it to replace my Kel-Tec PF9. Have not had a chance to fire it yet. There is a nice review in the new issue of Combat Hnadguns.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I have looked for the perfect ccw for awhile now. About 3 months ago I found a used CW9 kAHR and loved it,but i like to pocket carry and was alittle big. I bought a new CM9 about 2 months ago and I feel I have found the perfect everyday-allday carry gun. There is a 200rd break-in on all Kahr guns.I had alot of FTE the first 100rds,and the next 100rds the cm9 started to loosen up.Recoil is good for a small 9mm.I have great shot placement.easy to conceal in front pocket holster or IWB. I have tried them all,j-frames,kel-tec,glock 26,Derringers,etc. For the money (around 400 bucks) the Kahr cm9 is the best cc gun I have found. I carry it everyday and trust my life with it...If it broke today I would buy another one...Check out the kahrtalk.com forum,great bunch of guys over there.

ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Have had my CM9 for a few months and love it, have 250 rounds through it so far with NO FAILURES of any kind. I did do a thorough cleaning and lube prior to taking it to the range the first time. Also, I worked the slide quite a bit to loosen it up prior to shooting it. From what I have read from others this is key to reducing the issues during break end. Ammo WWB, Tula, Hornady hollow points and critical defense all 115gr.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    I purchased a new CM9 from Bud's Guns and could not be more
    pleased. Strong shooter, no failures and easy to CCW. Bud's price
    was under 400 new. :yesway:

:ingo::patriot:

swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    I just ordered one of them yesterday .... been looking at a CC system of gun and IWB holster and decided on the CM9 and a Minotaur MTAC.

Never even had my hands on one yet .... but I have yet to read a bad review.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    CW9

What kinda prices are on them locally

There are a couple used on INGO. If you buy used, you can save the $$ from 200 rounds of break-in period, the gun falls of the grid, and you save sales tax. A used CW9 is a good shooter as long as it doesn't have excessive use or neglect. Mine has 800+ rounds and looks and acts like new. Just something to consider. :twocents:

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    If you buy used, you can save the $$ from 200 rounds of break-in period, the gun falls of the grid, and you save sales tax.
    Very true. Be aware that the CW9 is significantly larger than the CM9...possibly the ideal size if you don't want to pocket carry. No personal experience here, but I thought the CW9 looked a bit big for the pocket. Anyone else with experience pocket carrying a CW9?

Edit: Current brand-new price of a CW40 at IGS is $364.99, sixty bucks less than the CM9. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me...actually I'm tempted to get one of those too!

Last edited:

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Are they pretty reliable??

In my experience, yes. The manual recommends a 200-round break-in, and I do follow this advice. That said, my PM9 was 100% reliable, even in the break-in period. My MK40 has also been 100%. My CM9 had 2 failures to feed in the first magazine, and has been fine thereafter.

I think Kahrs are among the most reliable pocket autos. Like all small guns, they should be properly broken in and kept clean to ensure reliability.

Top Bottom