• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    I was carrying my Kahr cw9 last night with my Blackhawk holster and it was raining when I walked into the gas station, when I got home I removed the gun from my holster and the gun had surface rust on it? This is the first time I've ever carried it also first it's ever seen rain. Has anyone else had this problem before?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is at least the 3rd story I have heard about this similar situation with Kahr. I am not bashing them in anyway as I think they make a fine handgun. I am just curious as to all the surface rust issues I am hearing.

All of the other stories I have heard said they were able to remove all the light surface rust with a normal cleaning. Was this the same in your case?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I was carrying my Kahr cw9 last night with my Blackhawk holster and it was raining when I walked into the gas station, when I got home I removed the gun from my holster and the gun had surface rust on it? This is the first time I've ever carried it also first it's ever seen rain. Has anyone else had this problem before?

What style is your blackhawk holster? I noticed when I got a new holster for my smith the moisture from my body wearing it on a hot summer day soaked through and had some surface rust on the slide. If it's possible make sure your holster has had leather treatment if its leather and keep the slide oiled down good at least until the holster is broken in. If it's a plastic holster I don't know what to tell you besides keep some #9 handy at all times.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have a blackhawk for my usp. There will be times during summer that it will get soaked. No problems with rust. My friend also have the same holster with an sd9 with no problems on rust. Do you clean the surface with spray degreasers an not lightly oil it perhaps?

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Yeah I just used a light no violent brush and solution and it came off. Honestly I shouldn't have to deal with the rust lol the gun is awesome other than that

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Each time i clean my daily carry, I put a VERY light coating of oil on the slide and other exposed metal parts. I also run a rag down the barrel with a touch of oil on it. Best way to prevent surface rust.

Top Bottom