Kahr mag followers - internet myth, is a real problem, or was and is now fixed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Kahr has been on my radar for a bit with their slim single-stack guns - whether the CM series or CW, can't justifiy the PMs and others. The internet's all abuzz about the mag followers cracking/breaking/disintegrating into chemical weapons (kidding about that one, but somebody's probably gone there on the web anyway!).

Kahr owners - have you experienced the problems, or was there ever one? If there was, does the problem still exist today, or has it been handled?

Thanks, INGO!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I've owned and shot several different flavors of Kahrs over the past few years. p380,CM9,K9,MK9 etc. Never had a problem with the followers. Don't know if there's any such issue - but I can say that I've not seen it. They are among the most solid, reliable , trouble free EDC's out there.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    See, I'm wondering how widespread this issue really was. I DO know that a fellow INGOer had the same issue with a CM40 he'd had, and Kahr sent him replacement followers. So, isolated instances, or true phenomenon is my concern. Hate to think of that follower deciding to give up the ghost on a carry gun I'm depending on...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    NOT a myth.

It happened to me with my CW-40 supplied magazine and one of the two supplemental magazines I purchased.

This WAS several years ago. Kahr CS told me, via telephone, that they had a bad batch of them come from their supplier. Something in the polymer mix wasn't quite right.

P4150052.jpg

P4150051.jpg

In the first image, you're looking straight on an assembled magazine. The cartridge would be oriented with the bullet pointing towards the viewer.

Second image - broken follower taken out of the mag body.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Yep. As described elsewhere. The most recent anecdote I had was from this year, too - so, old mag/gun, or current production that still has the same issue?

Not that Kahr is likely to tell someone if they call in about it, I'd guess...

NOT a myth.

It happened to me with my CW-40 supplied magazine and one of the two supplemental magazines I purchased.

This WAS several years ago. Kahr CS told me, via telephone, that they had a bad batch of them come from their supplier. Something in the polymer mix wasn't quite right.

P4150052.jpg

P4150051.jpg

In the first image, you're looking straight on an assembled magazine. The cartridge would be oriented with the bullet pointing towards the viewer.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Just went to Kahrtalk as linked in an above reply - and sure enough sounds like the issue still exists - and has to do with the follower hitting the bottom of the feed ramp in some guns. Hits hard enough to break the follower.

Can I get away with linking the page in question on Kahrtalk, or is that against the rules to link outside INGO?

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    And, the response from Kahr CS - not exactly admitting to nor denying the issue...

Good morning. We make and ship thousands of firearms every single week. The
    very few you read about on the internet are just that. You should have
    absolutely no issue with any of our firearms, and on the very remote chance
    you did, our service department is top notch and is here to help any way
    that they can. I hope this information helps you and if you have any other
    questions please feel free to email any time.
    sincerely,
    Jay
    Kahr Customer Service

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If/when you get a Kahr:

call them and tell them you've got broken followers. They'll send you new ones.

Then you'll have backups should yours actually break - and you'll not be "down" a gun until they arrive.

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    Wes - This is exactly what mine did on the first or second mag I ran through the gun. I had the CM40. True to their word Kahr sent me out two new followers immediately, no questions asked other than my address. I didn't have any issues with the new follower, although I traded the gun soon after that. I've still got the second replacement follower if anyone finds themselves with this issue or just wants a backup.

Andy

NOT a myth.

P4150052.jpg

P4150051.jpg

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Didn't want to name names - but thanks for corroboration!

Wes - This is exactly what mine did on the first or second mag I ran through the gun. I had the CM40. True to their word Kahr sent me out two new followers immediately, no questions asked other than my address. I didn't have any issues with the new follower, although I traded the gun soon after that. I've still got the second replacement follower if anyone finds themselves with this issue or just wants a backup.

Andy

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I have 4 mags and haven't had a single issue. Anything mass produced will have defects. Bad thing about the internet it always causes a buzz when reviews are bad. I have over 700 rounds with my cw9 and haven't had a single failure of any kind. No failures to eject, feed or mag drops. The gun has been flawless and I'll be buying a cm9 soon and hopefully the new cw380.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I own 2 Kahrs - a CM9 and a CW9. I have 3 magazines and have never had an issue with them. I had to have my extractor replaced on my CM9 and they had it back in my hands within 2.5 weeks. They also reworked part of the slide so that it functioned smoother than before.

YMMV but I love my Kahrs and trust my life with them. Happy hunting

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was told the original issue was with their .40S&W mag followers - not the 9mm.

Perhaps that's still mainly the issue?

-J-

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    From what I'm finding the problem is with too little (read, touching) clearance between the bottom of the feed ramp and the mag follower. Given the extra recoil and flip of the 40, if there was a problem in the plastic follower, I'd say you'd see it in the 40 first.

Also, I wonder if, if the model was designed as a 9mm first, and then "up-sized", that would also help explain - an extra .5 mm all around, all other things being equal, would decrease any clearance in the original design, I'd think...

I was told the original issue was with their .40S&W mag followers - not the 9mm.

Perhaps that's still mainly the issue?

-J-

Top Bottom