• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpwfranks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Middle of a hay field
    I am considering getting a small single stack 9mm, and the Kahr PM9 and CM9 both are the same size and basic gun, but the CM9 doesn't have the match grade rifling and basically has a little less fit and finish than the PM9.

Has anyone looked at/ shot both of them? If so, is the PM9 worth the price difference?

Thanks,
    JP

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I am considering getting a small single stack 9mm, and the Kahr PM9 and CM9 both are the same size and basic gun, but the CM9 doesn't have the match grade rifling and basically has a little less fit and finish than the PM9.

Has anyone looked at/ shot both of them? If so, is the PM9 worth the price difference?

Thanks,
    JP
    The PM9 comes with an extra magazine, as well. I believe the PM9 comes with a metal sight rather than plastic. I haven't shot the PM9, but do own a CM9. The CM9 is fit well and the finish is fine for a carry gun. I didn't notice any sharp edges or rough castings. Hey, it's not an engraved wood and blued steel collectable, it's a carry piece. As far as reliability and accuracy. My CM9 is very reliable and has very good accuracy for a pocket carry gun. The standard rifling isn't a disadvantage and I doubt that anyone could tell the difference in accuracy between the two. Hey, it's a pocket pistol, not a bullseye pistol.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    Mike, you are correct. The PM9 comes with the metal (replaceable) sight. I own a PM and have handles CM's and the difference is small.

Either one will due just fine.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles

Thanks,
    JP

I've owned both and shot both extensively. IMO, the PM9 is not worth the additional money. I traded the PM9 and kept the CM9.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I am planning on getting the CW9. From what read the P series isn't really worth it for edc gun
    Sucks only getting one magazine though. I like the cm9 but like the extra round of the cw. I also prefer the slide on the cm and cw. Just looks cleaner to me.

Chkline

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Anderson
    Great info as I have also been looking at the PM vs CM9. Thanks to everyone who left feedback on this, you just saved me some money!

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had a CM9 and loved it. Very nice and accurate little pocket pistol. Regretted getting rid of it. Bought a CW9 and made it have a CM9 grip for concealment. I got the best of both worlds now. I do think that the single spring CW pistol is more reliable and you get a little more accuracy from it because of the longer sight Radius. But you cannot go wrong with the CM9. Mine was very reliable. Not sure why they even offer the p and the PM series anymore.

I put a lighter trigger spring in mine and a Fiber optic front sight. I shoot IDPA and carry mine. Cannot go wrong with a Kahr , just pay attention to thier break in suggestions. Jim
    CW9c-1.jpg

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I had a CM9 and loved it. Very nice and accurate little pocket pistol. Regretted getting rid of it. Bought a CW9 and made it have a CM9 grip for concealment. I got the best of both worlds now. I do think that the single spring CW pistol is more reliable and you get a little more accuracy from it because of the longer sight Radius. But you cannot go wrong with the CM9. Mine was very reliable. Not sure why they even offer the p and the PM series anymore.

I put a lighter trigger spring in mine and a Fiber optic front sight. I shoot IDPA and carry mine. Cannot go wrong with a Kahr , just pay attention to thier break in suggestions. Jim
    CW9c-1.jpg

Couple quick questions. Is it worth losing a round? Also how did the bottom of the grip turn out? Is that a inner tube grip? I suppose you used a cm9 magazine for a reference point? I see it looks like you cut it a hair longer than cm9 because magazine looks a little more tucked.

Thanks.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have both the CW9 and the CM9. Both are excellent pistols and I've never had a problem with them. Nor do I think of them as being identical. To me, the CW feels like, and shoots like, a larger gun, while the CM is my preferred CC. It is smaller - I can only get three fingers on the grip - and it carries more confortably.

I carry the CM every day, but if there is money on the table at the club, I'll use the CW.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Couple quick questions. Is it worth losing a round? Also how did the bottom of the grip turn out? Is that a inner tube grip? I suppose you used a cm9 magazine for a reference point? I see it looks like you cut it a hair longer than cm9 because magazine looks a little more tucked.

Thanks.

Answering some of your questions. About losing a round? People feel comfortable with 5 shot revolvers as a main carry gun, even in a XDS. Most self defense situations are 1.7 rounds or something like that. I am not the type to have to have a 17 round gun and a extra mag. IDPA I may miss a round but still have enough with the 3 mags that I can use and like the idea to shoot IDPA with your carry gun.
    I had a actual P9 Covert to copy (thanks slowplay) and use the mags (same as CM9 mags). The grip looks just like a factory Covert P9. There is not as mold for a Covert at Kahr, they cut them down also just like I did. I used the original Covert as a reference and then the Mags for the final sanding. I made sure the mags drop and insertion was perfect. They work better than it did with the 7 round mags. Every once in a while at a match it would have a mag drop on second round. Whether that was me (i think so) or the gun, it has not happened in over 400 rounds now. Still experimenting with the grip with inner tubes. This picture is the latest. I got a lot smaller tube and it has 2 layers with 2 finger grooves this time. Much easier to shoot with the tubes on the gun. This little CW9c has a lot of love done to it and it has a super sweet trigger and great sights. Can't go wrong with a Kahr. Thanks Jim
    3C2C0AA5-598C-478F-8300-CF3B7694930B-2891-00000499B6BBF6DC.jpg

BE024497-405A-4103-96B2-A0A71DE13CEE-2891-00000499BBFDCB40.jpg

CW-Grip.jpg

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    N9 thanks for the write up. I have seen you on kahrtalk and thought that was the same gun. I'm buying the cw9 here soon, might try this. Guess I'll see how it feels first. I have a LCR so I'm comfortable with less shots.

bthomp9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    tipton
    Kahr has great pricing if you are an NRA instructor. I have a PM9 and I got the safety and loaded chamber indicator. I dont think they are available on the CM9. To carry a gun in my pocket and as an instructor I felt these were needed for me to be comfortable. I know the reasoning behind not having a safety and respect people that dont want one. I dont want students getting into the habit of not taking the safety off before firing.

erictorp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Greenwood
    Just picked up a CM9 this weekend. Very tight, took it apart and cleaned it. I looked at it side by side with a PM9, and the only differences I noticed were (1) the sights, (2) the rifling, (3) the $300 cost difference. Does anyone know if the PM9 barrel will work in the CM9? They are both the same price on the Kahr website.

Top Bottom