• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gun Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Can anyone share their personal experiences with both of these models? In researching for a CCW, I have narrowed the search to these three pistols based upon caliber, size, weight and other criteria. However, since I don't have access to shoot or practice carry all of them, I am in a quandry.

My main concern is the trade-off between capacity and concealability. The Kahr is .90" wide and is 8+1; the Glocks are 1.18" wide and are 15+1 or 10-12+1 depending on the model. My work/after-work wardrobe (suits and business casual), as well as my body type (thick) either generally restrict baggy or untucked clothing, or can still cause printing issues. My body shape is also not very forgiving for IWB, but OWB carry would not be appropriate in this setting. I must also make adjustments for the 4 seasons depending on the severity of weather.

I LOVE the feel of the Kahr, due in large part to the single stack design, but would prefer higher capacity. The Glocks are also comfortable, but am not so fond of their bulky feeling. I am wondering how much a difference that additional .28" will make? In the hand, the two guns feel night and day.

Also, I am interested in knowing your experience with the 12 round extended magazine for the Glock 26 Gen 4, in particular whether there is any palm pinching when shooting. I have heard this complain on the Gen 3.

I look forward to hearing your experiences, carry techniques, etc. with both. Thank you! :)

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Well I wouldn't get hung up on capacity, carry a reload, some old FBI statistics say 7 shots in a gunfight. What's more important is, that you can shoot it well and that it's light enough to carry, and in this case likely small enough to conceal; as the gun that gets carried is worth more than the gun left at home.

If I were you I'd take a look at the smart carry option, which lends itself toward deeper hiding of larger guns, and also can go under just about any clothing. Grip length is the hard part for IWB concealment, not so much width. Considering that the G26, I'd keep it to the standard mags, and just carry the Glock 17 round magazines for reloads, no need to mess with extensions, if that were the case I'd just go with the G19, and not need to raise questions about reliability.

Also look into a good solid gun belt that looks like it belongs in business wear, and if at all possible start looking for dress shirts with patterns, the patterns will disguise printing longer and a true gunbelt belt will help prevent sagging of the pants, tearing of belt loops need for readjustments, also if you look at a velcro system you can do an excellent job of hiding the clips on a IWB holster. A jacket is more forgiving in gun size, perhaps the winter or some situations that may help as well.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I replaced my G19 with a TP45. My choice was to go up to 45 to offset carrying fewer rounds (plus I carry two spare mags). That being said, the T9 might weigh a bit more than the G19, so the TP9 might be better gun to consider versus the G19. Though with 7 extra rounds in the G19, the loaded weights will be close. Regardless, I really like the thinner grip of the Kahr.

Also, the thickness makes a pretty noticeable difference in how comfortable the guns will be in an IWB holster and doing the math in percentages shows why. 0.28 inches wider does not seem like much, but that is a 31% increase in width.

I have not commented on the G26 since it sounds like you plan to carry it with an extended mag. In that case, the G26 will be not much to no more concealable than the G19 and that makes the G19 a better choice since it has a longer sight radius and it might be a tiny bit cheaper since you will not have to shell out for the mag extensions. The price difference actually increases if you compare the Gen 3 G19 (typically $479-$499) to the Gen 4 G26 (typically $529-$549)

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    I own a g19 gen 4, g26 gen 4, and a kahr p380. All are fabulous. I'm a glocker at heart but more often than not I opt for the kahr just because of size (width) mostly. I have the +2 for my g26 mag and just like barrelmaker said u may as well go with the g19. When I carry the 26 it's with a +0 pinky extension. In hindsight although I love my g26 it's kinda lost in between the kahr and the g19. If you can handle the extra size I would go with a g19 and or maybe a kahr p9 instead of the k9 that way it would give u a lighter gun. If you buy a g19 first and you feel like its to big to carry you will still love it so much that you will keep it and buy something else, but if you buy the kahr first it will probably be love/hate one way or the other. If you are dead set on concealablity then you can't top a kahr.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Also, I am interested in knowing your experience with the 12 round extended magazine for the Glock 26 Gen 4, in particular whether there is any palm pinching when shooting. I have heard this complain on the Gen 3.

I've had a glock 26 gen 3 for about 6 weeks now. I use Pierce extenders on all three magazines. Haven't had a problem with pinching when shooting but, just this afternoon I pinched my palm while slamming a fresh magazine in! this hadn't happened before so I must have been doing something sloppy. The G26, being my first gun is keeping me happy so far. But the wanderlust will get me sooner or later, I'll probably stray off to one of your other choices.
    May the gods of Austria forgive me!

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    If you're skinny like me, 26.... if you're bigger than a 30 inch waist, get the 19. I could hide it, but not as easy as the 26.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I really like my gen 3 g19. This is coming from a guy who adamently refused to buy one until his wife wanted one...then she stole his 1911....

Anyway, the 19 is a great firearm, and conceals quite easily if you are into that sort of thing....

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I am a fairly good size guy ( 6'4" and 280lbs) and I carry a Kahr cw40 and have recently purchased a gen4 g19 that I carry IWB and can honestly say there's not much difference in trying to conceal the two.
    The biggest difference is at the range I enjoy shooting the g19 alot. The Kahr, not so much. I relaize the kahr is a .40 and that might be more the difference that the gun itself. I have never been a Glock man but I have to admit the g19 is pretty sweet and it will be making every trip to the range with me.
    All that being said I have put many rounds thru the Kahr and it has never failed me once. It's just a bit snappy for shooting lots of rounds in a day for me.

Good luck on your decision.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I've never had a Kahr so I can't comment on that. But I do have both the G19 and G26. I have Pearce extensions on my G26 mags, and even though the overall grip length is the same as a G19 with them on, the G26 is still a lot more concealable than the G19 due to the shorter profile of the blackstrap. It is also quite a bit lighter. They are both a joy to shoot (a slight edge does go the the G19 in this category), but if I'm carrying for 8 hours plus, I always grab the G26. A note in regards to the Pearce extensions, mine are +0 (PG-26XL) because I didn't want to change the spring geometry by adding rounds than the spring was designed for) and I have never been "pinky pinched". You would love either of these pistols.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    I'd recommend starting with a Kahr Cw9. Its alot cheaper than the T9 and a little smaller but still manageable and for me really still fairly fun to shoot. You will carry it often without complaint due to its thinness and lightness. I personally don't get hung up on capacity issues but really you'll probably want to end up with one you know you'll always carry (CW9) and then when you save up buy a G19 for home, range, and whenever you feel like carrying high capacity! Really to get both you have less than $900 total to have two of the most practical excellent functioning 9mm's money can buy and have all your bases covered.

Todd

Gun Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Thank you all for your comments! A few days ago I visited a store that carriers a number of Glock's and Kahr's, so I could hold them side by side. I was so torn! :) The Kahr's fit my hand like they were designed for me, and I completely love the thin feel. Unfortunately, their capacity is half of the Glock's, and in these areas some of the models are over $100 more than the 19 Gen 4. Then, to throw a wrench into the decision, I held a Ruger SR9c for the first time and fell in love with it! Though it is approximately the same size as the Glock 19, it is only 10 rounds, which is the only negative I found.

I still have not decided how much weight I will place on capacity. Any experience you have with SR9c is also appreciated! Thanks again...

Top Bottom