• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Kalashnikov USA has no working relationship with Kalashnikov Concern in Russia.

They are US copies and originally were being made with crappy cast parts, now as of Shot Show they have stated they would be using at least machined trunnions, and possibly forged trunnions, which would be a plus...... but they are still crappy US made AKs, until proven otherwise

This is really par for the course for them. Before they because Kalashnikov USA the previously named company made some (IMO) pretty crappily converted Saigas. They took all the short cuts you could to do the conversion.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I'm always amazed how supercool NIH guns are instantly converted back to dull reality by being made in the USA.:D

One of the glories of the AK design is that it doesn't require the precision of a Swiss watchmaker to make it, and yet it performs admirably in the crappiest conditions with little or no maintenance. It is a supercool design, wherever it is made.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is a supercool design, wherever it is made.

You must be new to the gun culture.:D

It is a supercool design as long as it is not made here.

Look at every single firearm made overseas, not just AKs and Glocks, but every single one. As soon as it was manufactured in the USA, it suddenly became dull and pedestrian.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    One of the glories of the AK design is that it doesn't require the precision of a Swiss watchmaker to make it, and yet it performs admirably in the crappiest conditions with little or no maintenance. It is a supercool design, wherever it is made.
    That's as big a load of crap, that I've ever heard! Lessee, canted front sight bases, improper mag wells, crap trigger springs, improperly assembled fire control groups, improper trunnions, and that's just with the imported, improved, rifles from one company...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    BTW, that's coming from the owner of two Fuller AK's, and now, a Rifle Dynamics AK, and the RD AK cost well over $3k since the base rifle I sent was so bad he said he wouldn't make it right! That was a Century (American made) AK.

GChambers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Fishers
    People told me how ****ty my WASR-10 was before I bought it. Somehow, against all odds, it's been amazingly accurate and has ran flawlessly since day one. Huh....

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if Americans want to make a rifle, they certainly could have the ability to make it better than the Romanians. Or Russians.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    You must be new to the gun culture.:D

It is a supercool design as long as it is not made here.

I have no issue with AKs made in the US. My issue is that AKs made in the US use inferior materials and manufacturing techniques to do so. Case in point, they don't use cold hammer forged chrome lined barrels, and the most recent attempts involved the use of cast front trunnions from multiple manufacturers, and yes those cast trunnions have had multiple failures.

If they figure that out, then I'll give them a serious look. So far DDI has come the closest with their nitro carburized barrels, and use of surplus parts. New DDI machined and forged trunnions are coming, and those have me curious as well. So IMO, right now DDI is the only US company I'm impressed with. Everyone else is playing second fiddle until they step up their game.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    BTW, that's coming from the owner of two Fuller AK's, and now, a Rifle Dynamics AK, and the RD AK cost well over $3k since the base rifle I sent was so bad he said he wouldn't make it right! That was a Century (American made) AK.

You sent a Century AK to Rifle Dynamics? (which, by the way Jim Fuller and Rifle Dynamics are one in the same)

People told me how ****ty my WASR-10 was before I bought it. Somehow, against all odds, it's been amazingly accurate and has ran flawlessly since day one. Huh....

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if Americans want to make a rifle, they certainly could have the ability to make it better than the Romanians. Or Russians.

Nothing wrong with WASRs. They are made in Romania with properly made parts. Just need a bit more QC on a couple things.

and you're right, they can if they want to, but so far no one has choosen to do so, except for maybe DDI. BUT it is kind of hard to compete when a WASR can be shipped here and still sell for $500 - $600.

The real test is will they put out an AK style shotgun worth a damn. Especially one that takes current magazines instead of a new proprietary one.

I'm thinking this is another place DDI might have it covered. Their new imported shotgun uses Saiga mags and looks like it could be a winner in the AK style shotgun market. It's no VEPR, but it's a start.

What about DDI. The guy that is building them in Tennessee?

see my other posts ;) I guess I'm a DDI fanboi! lol

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You sent a Century AK to Rifle Dynamics? (which, by the way Jim Fuller and Rifle Dynamics are one in the same)
    l
    Im well aware the Fuller and RD are one in the same, but at one time, pre-RD Jim built all the rifles himself. And I sent the Century because I had it, and wanted it fixed. Even Fuller wouldn't try to make it right. DDI rifles are good stuff, not so sure about any other Madeinusa AKs.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ummm, no. Did the author attend the INGO School of Map Reading?

Izevsk, the capital of the Udmurt Republic. The Russians have been making guns there since Paul I.

Speaking of schools within the INGO unversity system, it sounds like the INGO School of Transliteration needs a remedial SWEESL visit.

"The capital of the Udmurt Republic" is Izhevsk ("Иже́вск"). "Izvesk" is spelled differently. (And I think KF is the only one here that I would ever pick this nit for.) :D

Back to the OP, is 922(r) still a thing?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm thinking this is another place DDI might have it covered. Their new imported shotgun uses Saiga mags and looks like it could be a winner in the AK style shotgun market. It's no VEPR, but it's a start.

BTW, watched an AK Operators video interview with Arsenal/K-Var guy. Apparently the Fime Group will be the new importer for Molot rifles & shotguns and the new fixed tubular stocked Vepr 12 will retail for $699.

Top Bottom