• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    This is a boring story but a funny one at that, maybe it will remind someone about complacency.

My wife is sick with the flu asleep on the couch in the living room. I am next to her in my recliner. Around an hour ago I was watching TV on my computer with headphones on. Out of the corner of my eye I caught the door leading to my enclosed front porch about 15 feet away from me moving. This door is almost always locked with the built in dead bolt not only because doors should be locked but because it will sit just slightly open if it isn't. The latch doesn't catch I don't know why, it's a very old custom wooden door that is original to the house that was built in the 40's.

The door was slightly open and moving toward it's closed position as if someone tapped it with their foot a second ago. At this point I realized my G21 was not near me. It was at the far end of the L shaped sectional closest to the door. As I mentally called myself an idiot I tip toed toward the moving door/gun.

The gun was in a blackhawk kydex holster with a release button on the holster. Just as I picked it up the door started to open again. I pressed the button and flicked my wrist to send the holster back down the couch. The sound of the holster hitting the couch apparently spooked the thing on the other side of the door and in came my stupid ****ing cat at around mach 3. As it skittered across the wood floor trying to gain purchase I followed started to put pressure on the trigger.

It was about 1/4 of the way back and a second or so after the thing decided to make a run for it before I understood what was happening. After it ran into some hiding place in the house I looked at the door and discovered that I had hung my coat on the deadbolt rotating switch. The cat must have got a claw into my coat and pulled the switch down. The door must have went to it's default slightly open position and the cat pawed it open and enjoyed some porch time.

Lessons learned/reminded for me:

1. Don't hang your coat on dead bolt switches

2. If you are going to use headphones, keep one ear exposed.

3. Keep a gun within reach....

It's funny that my heart rate went through the roof because of a cat and I encourage you to laugh at it because it is funny but in hindsight at the time, I had no idea why my door to the outside was moving. It's a good lesson for me. I managed to get the drop on my cat but it could have cost my sick and at the moment helpless wife with a fever her life, or worse.

Last edited:

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    It would be a good investment to reinforce a door jam beyond the half inch screws that come with a door lock. A good quality metal piece that is much longer and has many long screws may keep a person from simply kicking in a door. Even if they have to try a couple times, you have the moments notice you need to do whatever needs to be done. Some don't even lock their doors. Many home automation devices that make our lives easier, also have a door sensor that you can drill the door and facing in a discrete location and actually act as an alarm system or a simple door chime if the door is opened. It is wireless, and all you need other than the network is a hub and a bell of some kind it hooks up to. I love mine, handles numerous things in the home, I can check things or operate them from my cell phone at home or away.

StrikeMaster II Door Frame and Hinge Reinforcement-55724 - The Home Depot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smsN5kHcOh0

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree about the idea of keeping one in reach. Have had people knocking on my door during day hours, ringing door bell despite a " No Solicitors" sign on my storm door. My dilemma is a midnight job, trying to sleep during the day. When first awake, am a little bit groggy, but gets okay after a while.

If I knocked, rang. or otherwise be a pest at 0300am, you would call the cops.

Had a loud bang about 1500(3:00pm), and found a car sitting in my neighbors vegetable garden. Driver hit gas instead of brake, blew stop sign and hit neighbors garage/ yard/garden. Sounded like a gun firing. Saw people running east, didn't really know what was up for a couple minutes.

No, didn't do a tactical roll, and prone out behind the couch. Just looked around for a few minutes. It was groggy time. Couple minutes later ok. Had someone escaped from Police custody, got involved in a fight, tried the hiding game... best to be prepared. You never know if it's needed.

Within minutes, school bus drove by after dropping off 10 kids. Safety is important, my kid got off bus too. Hostage scenario? Never know. Get prepared.

Top Bottom