• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    I love the feel of the Kel Tec PF9's. I heard there were several problems with them initially. I was wondering if anyone knew for SURE if they have been fixed. The biggest complaint I've heard was the mag release spring being extremely sensitive. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I carried one daily for about a year and still swap it into my carry repertoire. No problems at all. The only drawback I have seen is like most compact mini 9 mils, they are a hand full to put a lot of ammo down range. But for what they are designed for, I like them and will probably buy another.:yesway:

bluto67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    when i shoot mine i have to keep my right thumb extended or it hits the mag release during recoil which drops the mag enough not to chamber the next round

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I carry it with the +1 extended mag (which is awesome). The newer PF9s are a lot better and the issues you hear about from earliery models are fixed (at least on mine). It's a working gun and cheap. It doesn't need to be pretty.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Take a look at the KTOG forum (Kel Tec Owners Group). There are mixed feelings out there about these. I owned 2 (bought new last year). One (a chrome slide) was a POS, even after doing all the advisded "fixes." The other one worked great out of the box.

For the money, it might be worth the chance. You get a good one, it fits a niche-8 round pocket 9, very light. I put so many rounds through the bad one testing it, I got pretty used to the recoil.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Ive shot 3 or 4 of them, then bought one for my wife, all of them work great, fit and finish is acceptable in a $250 pistol. I think it takes some getting used to, or the sites on my wifes are way off, because I cant hit anything with it. Hopefully going to try again today, seems to shoot way low, and sites arent adjustable for elevation. I would definitely get the +1 extension.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    The ones with the Metal Mag Release Button has the fixes.
    The ones with the plastic Mag Release Button were the problem ones.
    Thats the easiest way to tell the good ones apart from the bad ones.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    d a PF9 for about 3 months shot it at the range several times and never had a malfunctioin. I did not like the extemely long and stiff trigger pull of the double action trigger so I sold the gun.
    I would recommend it to anyone for a pocket gun or small carry gun you just have to get past the trigger.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The trigger is really not that bad. After 200 rounds or so it gets better. I can place every round center mass at 7 yards no problem. That to me is what the gun is designed for. It's not a target pistol by any means. I like mine but am selling it because I replaced it with a Kahr. The slide release is still stiff as hell. Also, keep an eye out for rust. Their coatings are not the best, expected for a $300 gun.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Own several KT pistols NEVER a single problem with any! Buy this pistol,go to ktog website and take their advice.
    THEY WORK!! keep em lubed

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    Thanks for all the responses! The recoil doesn't bother me. It's like fishing, if you use a super heavy rig on blue gill it's absolutely no fun. You catch a cat fish on an ice fishing pole your in for a good fight. I will definitely be picking up one when I get the money. I shoot Hornady Critical defense anyways so the low flash low recoil will probably be just right.

Thanks t413 for the info. I will keep it in mind when shopping.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I like mine. Noticed that it doesn't like certain kinds of ammo but is otherwise reliable.

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I bought one a week ago for 250.00 new. I put 60 rds through it without a hitch. the trigger takes some getting used to and the recoil is pretty snappy, but it hits where you point it and has enough power to get the job done.
    another bonus is that 9mm is about half the price of .380.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I bought one a week ago for 250.00 new. I put 60 rds through it without a hitch. the trigger takes some getting used to and the recoil is pretty snappy, but it hits where you point it and has enough power to get the job done.
    another bonus is that 9mm is about half the price of .380.

Can I ask where you got it at??? That is the price I am looking for.....

TIA

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    PSS had the best price when i bought mine.Love mine-never a hiccup with any ammo. Hogue slip on grip made mine a little more comfy-but it carries well in a Fobus paddle holster.

Top Bottom