• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Has anyone ever heard of a tripped trigger block? Long story short is that I decided not to keep my sub2k and the guy that received it said,

"upon inspection dicovered that the trigger block has been tripped. It's what happens when the trigger is pulled while the bolt is out."

Anyone heard of that? The bolt has never been out of the gun. I bought it new but then got grief from the wife. I decided not to push my luck and go out and buy a matching Glock 17.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I run into that issue every time I take my Sub-2000 apart for cleaning. I read the manual which tells you to make sure the hammer is cocked before removing the bolt. So I rack it several times, and take it apart. Try to put the bolt back and the hammer is blocking it.

According to the manual, this is impossible to correct by any firearm owner and the rifle must be shipped back to the Kel-tec gods. Evidently they don't know that an aircraft mechanic can fix just about anything. I used a long screwdriver to hold the hammer down as I slid the bolt over it. Working rifle again.

The funny thing is ever time I have taken my Sub-2000 down, the same thing happens, so I just get the long screwdriver out as part of the cleaning process.

Frustrating, yes, but anyone with any mechanical ability should be able to figure out how to hold the hammer down while reinserting the bolt.

If the guy is saying it was locked up when he got it, he is very very wrong as it can only happen with the bolt removed.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I am going to add, that a true trigger block is a safety that sits behind the trigger, and you push it one way for safe, which blocks all trigger movement, and obviously push the other way to allow the trigger to move for firing the weapon.

I know of two firearms that had defective safeties that blocked the trigger, but allowed the hammer to fall when the safety was pushed to fire without touching of the trigger. One was recalled (SPAS-12) because the original design was defective. The other occurs because someone trying to smooth out a rough trigger goes too far and it allows the trigger to move with the safety on safe, thereby releasing the hammer from the sear, but not enough to strike the firing pin. That is until the safety is moved to fire, and the hammer flies forward contacting the firing pin, and if there is a round chambered, it will fire.

I don't know if the Kel-tec Sub-2000 can have the same issue.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Ok, I just checked my Sub-2000, one of the very early ones, and when on safe, the trigger is disconnected from the mechanism that releases the hammer. The trigger is free to move with no resistance. Moving the safety to the fire position connects the trigger to the firing mechanism.

So in fact the Sub-2000, or at least my generation of one, does not have a trigger block, but a trigger disconnect.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Had mine all the way apart (dumb idea, don't do it) and got it all back together and functioning due to being an engineering genius and having every tool known to man. These guys are worse than Ford, who have an entire department dedicated to making at least one fastener inaccessible on each part.

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    A Dowel rod is your best friend when this happens. I seem to always run into this every time I am re-assembling my sub2000. Actually heard a story at the local gun shop that a gentleman picked one up at a pawn shop for $50 because they thought it was broken. It's an easy fix!

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Evidently they don't know that an aircraft mechanic can fix just about anything.

This is true!

There is a reason the most popular and useful tool in my box is a BFH. Cut to shape, beat to fit and paint to match...

Plus in our hangar, there is a lot of space, extra materials, tooling and machinery for all kinds of extra-curricular activites and projects. We can be a creative bunch at times. Especially around Pinewood Derby time for Scouts and things like that.

I use some great synthetic grease for turbine engines on my firearms. The media blasting cabinet and ultrasonic cleaner see a lot of gun parts. Paint booth is a popular place for a lot of us.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom