• ...and so much more!
  • NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    So...

I had a P3AT that I was having major FTE's with. I got a new extractor and ejector from Keltec (Free of charge) and did a major polish and sanding of moving parts etc (fluff and buff).

I get good extracting and ejecting now, but I am getting the odd FTF resulting from a "smiley" bullet. It's hitting the feed ramp or even the magazine and getting hung up.

Any ideas? I have the 9rnd extended mag on the P3 so maybe I need to bed-in the magazine spring and use it more.

Otherwise I was happy with the P3. It seemed to work ok.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So...

I had a P3AT that I was having major FTE's with. I got a new extractor and ejector from Keltec (Free of charge) and did a major polish and sanding of moving parts etc (fluff and buff).

I get good extracting and ejecting now, but I am getting the odd FTF resulting from a "smiley" bullet. It's hitting the feed ramp or even the magazine and getting hung up.

Any ideas? I have the 9rnd extended mag on the P3 so maybe I need to bed-in the magazine spring and use it more.

Otherwise I was happy with the P3. It seemed to work ok.

A Colt 1911 :)

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Did you happen to "polish" the feed ramp as part of your "fluff and buff?" If so, you may have taken too much material off of your feed ramp, specifically the lip of it. Always have to be careful when polishing materials so as to not change their shape.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    I'm tempted to do just that...

Or trade it for a .22 rifle.

Yes sir, you will be a happier man. Seems like when the keltecs work, they run great and when they don't, our vocabulary grows to include terms like fluff and buff, break in, polish etc.....

No harm, it's a great way to acquire knowledge but at the end of the day, it has to go bang every time if it's going to protect our lives.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Did you happen to "polish" the feed ramp as part of your "fluff and buff?" If so, you may have taken too much material off of your feed ramp, specifically the lip of it. Always have to be careful when polishing materials so as to not change their shape.

Scott, if you check out the 'smiley' link that I posted, it requires removing a tad bit of material from the feed ramp to prevent the smileys. :yesway:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Scott, if you check out the 'smiley' link that I posted, it requires removing a tad bit of material from the feed ramp to prevent the smileys. :yesway:

Yeah, I hadn't looked at that. It still seems odd for it to just start out of the blue. I still think the feed ramp may have somehow been affected for it to just start hanging up on it.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I just took some wet and dry (VERY fine) and polished it. The dremel + files weren't even in use :)

Sad thing is, the gun has never worked well enough and fed well enough to discover if I had smiley's in the first place.

Every other shot would hang up with a FTE :(

You expect a gun to work out of the box (with some cleaning) not have to gunsmith it yourself to get it to almost work. There's a guy down here who offered to look at it for me (he's a gun smith) for free but there's little left to be done to the gun.

<shrug>

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I just took some wet and dry (VERY fine) and polished it. The dremel + files weren't even in use :)

Sad thing is, the gun has never worked well enough and fed well enough to discover if I had smiley's in the first place.

Every other shot would hang up with a FTE :(

You expect a gun to work out of the box (with some cleaning) not have to gunsmith it yourself to get it to almost work. There's a guy down here who offered to look at it for me (he's a gun smith) for free but there's little left to be done to the gun.

<shrug>

Did you check out the link I posted a few posts up?

While I agree that a gun should work out of the box, sometimes mechanical items do encounter problems. For example, a new car has a warranty for a reason. I just performed a $10k warranty repair on a Honda CRV that was just a couple years old with 32k miles on it. Replaced the engine, cylinder head, and all hoses for the cooling system. Yes the CRV should run forever and shouldn't require replacing the engine, but sometimes 'stuff happens'... There's a forum dedicated to KelTec firearms and the group is the best bunch of gun enthusiasts dedicated to helping each other.

Hence the link I provided you with (it includes pics for you as well so you can compare your smileys to those of others)

I hope this helps

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It sucks you are having problems. The tiny handguns are a sensitive bunch regardless of manufacturer, just the nature of the beast. I believe Keltec was removed from my department's approved list due to the extremely high number of problems with them. The Ruger is GTG for us ;)

Top Bottom