• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    This afternoon, one of my buddies and I went to Rural King in Kendallville. He was ready to buy yet again another handgun and I was planning on some ammo. When we walked into the gun area, the guy behind the counter David was occupied with paperwork and ignored us looking. After a few minutes of us waiting and a couple of other customers looking and walking away David grudgingly asked if he could get anything out. I asked about the price of some ammo he grunted a price I didn't hear while my buddy was looking through the top of their display case at sigs.

David immediately asked another customer what he wanted before asking my buddy if he could show him a Sig. David got some kind of 22 rifle to show the other customer and told my buddy he would have to go so he lay out a display mat. (there were 3 other displays with nobody looking in them) My buddy took that as his invitation to leave and did so. In the mean time I moved to the end of the row of counters (not behind the counters) so I could see prices on ammo. Not knowing what happened to my buddy I was taking my time trying to see prices when David looked at me while he was working with the rifle buyer and told me "You are going to have to get out of here. You are too close!" I took that as my que that they have enough customers and left the area.

When I met up with my buddy he told me what had happened to him. We decided to leave and drive to Angola where they don't have guns but we were able to spend $500+ on ammo.

Usually I have a very pleasant experience at the Kendallville store and the gals working the counter there have always been great. Last year I spent over $31,000 in that store on farm supplies and chemicals. This guy David, is a cancer and will likely cause me to buy elsewhere. If I do decide to return to that store I'm going to call first to confirm David is not working.

End of vent......:xmad:

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I would have spoken to the Manager. He has a nimrod running off business. Ive talked to management about problem employees in the past. Most times the manager takes over and satisfies the customer. He dosent want that kid ruining business.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am not a bit bashful. Mr "David" and I would have had a very spirited discussion very quickly, if he had not apologized and rectified the situation, then I would have had the Store Manager come out to the area to discuss the issues I had encountered. By this I do not mean a shouting match nor name calling, but a "polite" truthful statement of the problems I had encountered. Only when the Manager has backed the employee have I ever became discourteous (and louder). I have been asked (only a couple times in the last 20 years) to take the discussion to the office. At those times I have stated that I want the customers in the store to know exactly what is going on and we can discuss the problem here. Both times the situation was quickly resolved to my satisfaction. :>)

I often hear complaints on this site about being ignored in both GS's and other stores. I'm 73 years old and can attest that has not, nor will it happen to me. I rather enjoy browsing in shops without anyone hanging on me, when I want attention, I ask for it and am fairly blunt if I do not receive it when I am really interested in purchasing an item.

If I had received the treatment you describe, I am sure it would be rectified quickly when the management became involved. I can't recall any incidents where I have not received a fairly quick resolution to issues like this. I can't say I have met any managers who do not want to keep buying customers coming into their stores ~ and most employees realize if the manager becomes involved they will at the least receive a black mark, and at worst lose their job!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sounds like Rural King is trying to replicate the real LGS experience. :laugh:

Not everybody's cut out for working in retail. It seems like stores like this (ex. Walmart and Lowes) have an affinity for attracting these customer repelling employees. LarryC has it right it seems to me. I'm guilty as you are planedriver in just putting up with it. We should consider LarryC's example in the future.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I'm loving on RK, 12% off all guns right now. If you know prices, there are a few bargains. (not all)

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I would have asked to see a manager before leaving.

I'm sure they would have wanted to know what type of BS this guy is pulling.

They can NOT fix what they don't know about.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    The manager is a "she" and she is very good at what she does.

There are typically three women that work the gun counter in Kendallville and they are very knowledgeable.

I have seen people sneak around the open end of the counter there and there is a sign that says no patrons behind the counter.

Just saying...

Top Bottom