• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For those who never experienced it, the Kenton National coon dog trials were one of the greatest displays of rural midwestern culture available to mankind in the new millenium. They ran the week of labor day weekend. Camping, huge flea market, golf carts with flashlight taped to them, lots of trading going on, lots of sights to see, mud, dust, communal showers in converted semi trailers. They were held for 50+ years but cancelled in 2009 due to 'the economy'.

A typical overnight guest:
    DSCF2847.jpg

A look over the flea market....it went for miles:
    DSCF2848.jpg

It appears Kenton has returned, at least in name. Mention of running coon dogs has been dropped.

Kenton National Flea Market & Festival

The event is now described as a Bluegrass Festival and will run for 3 days in the middle of August. There will still be a flea market but no new vendors will be accepted. Rules remain TBA.

Anyone heard any rumors about the new event? I know there is a flea market at the Lima, OH fairgrounds that is similar to the old Kenton, dogs and water races and such, but I've not been.

JohnR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Hancock county
    I heard the same thing, No Dogs.That's a shame it was one cool event. Use to go and it was always a good time. Saw the same guy every year wearing the same Joy dog food hat. He was a hoot. Heard they moved the date to mid August. Wonder if there still be the amount of guns there use to be?

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was probably fleeced by the Joy Dog Food guy at some point.

It amazes me that the same vendors were always in the same places, especially in the woods. Usually they had a lot of the same goods they had the previous year.

JohnR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Hancock county
    Some of those camping spots in the woods were grandfathered. Those campsites are high-priced real estate. It's pretty hard to sell a pair of cowboy boots that had been cut down to loafers. You'd have to carry them around awhile before you may find a buyer.

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    I hadn't heard any details on the new kenton, the Lima swap meet was decent a lot of people really missed the"" characters "that Kenton brought .I think I missed 2 weekends in 18 yrs. more details would be great

JohnR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Hancock county
    I hadn't heard any details on the new kenton, the Lima swap meet was decent a lot of people really missed the"" characters "that Kenton brought .I think I missed 2 weekends in 18 yrs. more details would be great
    The new Kenton dates are August 13-15th. Bluegrass on Friday,Country Saturday,Gospel Sunday. Heard there will be no parking across from main gate and no golf carts. Sounds like flea market is on but don't know if it will be as big as it was or what they will be able to sale. I think the good old days at Kenton are gone.

Top Bottom