• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Headed to Lexington Ky. area over the Labor Day weekend to see one of my favorite bands do an outside concert and have decided to make a mini vacation out of it.
    We have our tickets and reserved our room and now looking for eats and attraction ideas.
    As far as table fare, I'm pretty adventurous and have the waistline and cholesterol numbers to prove it.................so go big INGO.
    Attractions, I'm a bourbon guy......... so is there any distillary tours nearby that are a must see?
    Any and all recommendations greatly appreciated.
    Thanks INGO.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey are both very good tours. I haven't to four Roses or Castle and Key are close, too. Out of nine distilleries I've been to I haven't had a bad tour yet.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Stop in Louisville for lunch and get a Cuban from grind burger kitchen. 4 roses if my personal favorite and not far off the route. Buffalo trace is a good tour/tasting plus going to the tasting room gives you a higher than normal chance of getting to buy some eagle rare or Blantons.

town branch in Lexington is good not great IMO but if you have time I’d do it again.

red river gorge is only about an hour from Lexington . We spent a whole weekend there a couple years ago.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You pretty much can’t go wrong with any of the distillery tours around there, but make your reservations for them now. We just did Bulleit Bourbon in Shelbyville on Saturday, it was a lot of fun. Buffalo trace is a must, fantastic tour and Johnny the tour guide is a celebrity in the bourbon world.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Headed to Lexington Ky. area over the Labor Day weekend to see one of my favorite bands do an outside concert and have decided to make a mini vacation out of it.
    We have our tickets and reserved our room and now looking for eats and attraction ideas.
    As far as table fare, I'm pretty adventurous and have the waistline and cholesterol numbers to prove it.................so go big INGO.
    Attractions, I'm a bourbon guy......... so is there any distillary tours nearby that are a must see?
    Any and all recommendations greatly appreciated.
    Thanks INGO.
    Hold on, back up. What band are we talking here? A festival or a warm up w/main act show. What genre?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    You pretty much can’t go wrong with any of the distillery tours around there, but make your reservations for them now. We just did Bulleit Bourbon in Shelbyville on Saturday, it was a lot of fun. Buffalo trace is a must, fantastic tour and Johnny the tour guide is a celebrity in the bourbon world.
    Oh yeah......Blanton's & Taste of the Trace, how can you go wrong.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Hold on, back up. What band are we talking here? A festival or a warm up w/main act show. What genre?
    I DIDN'T COME HERE TO BE INTERROGATED!!!!!
    J/K Lexington Lab Band, they're a cover band that does classic rock. They have a ton of YouTube vids..................very impressive group of young uns.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I've been to Mammoth Cave a couple times. They offer a light walking tour too if that's your speed. We took our 5 year old this year on it. Buy online ahead of time.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Visit Woodford Reserve. Reminds me more of a sophisticated winery instead of your typical hillbilly moonshine theme. Plus the drive back to the distillery goes past beautiful horse farms.

Scoot up to Georgetown for some great food at

Country Boy Brewery has some good beers.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I've been to Mammoth Cave a couple times. They offer a light walking tour too if that's your speed. We took our 5 year old this year on it. Buy online ahead of time.
    Mammoth cave was pretty cool the time that I went. Bardstown is nice and has a couple distillerys as I recall.
    I do like the Lexington lab band. I like Billy Strings too.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Berea KY is just south of the area. The Kentucky Artisian Center is north of town just off the interstate. Lots of locally made handcrafted items. Then you can head south into the town/college area. Handful of shops and eateries in the downtown Berea area.

If you have a day for a scenic road trip, consider heading east to the Slade area in the Daniel Boone NF.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Oh, and Lincoln's birthplace (on EST) is north of Mammoth Cave (on CST) up I65.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Don't forget to find a couple frosty returnable longneck Ale-8-One

If the shack sells bait, beer & 'baccy you're in the right place.
    But don't leave the porch - they really want those bottles returned.

Top Bottom