• ...and so much more!
  • Lj429

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    Wheatfield
    Hey guys

I know nothing about knives. I have some but never got into brands and quality and stuff.

I’m looking for an EDC and was wondering if you would recommend either of these two or not at all. I know there are very nice knives, I’m only looking to be $30-40 right now.

Kershaw Scrip or the Kershaw Trace.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    There are many others here who have far more knowledge that I do about this subject, but I would recommend a Kershaw knife without hesitation. Just choose a model that fits your needs. I broke the tip off of one a few years ago (don't ask me how. stupid move on my part). I sent it back to the factory and they simply sent me a new knife at no charge instead of replacing the blade. Solid American company.

I am old school and love my Uncle Henry LB 8, but it is 30 years old and was made before the company was sold. With a little luck, you might find one on Ebay. And you can't go wrong with a Buck 110. Both are classic lock blade folders and carried in a sheath on your belt. But you cannot ask for a better knife in your price range.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    Kershaw does make some really good knives. I actually have a few currently in that price range, mainly the cryo series (cryo II also)

As far as the two you’ve mentioned, they look to be about the same as far as handle material and blade steel. Should carry the Kershaw warranty too.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    They will be basically identical performance wise with 8Cr13MoV blade steel (AKA soft Chinese pig metal) and some sort of steel liner lock. The Trace looks better to myself personally somewhat reminiscent of the ZT300 series. I find it interesting the only place that seems to sell them is Dicks Sporting Goods.

Basically it's an aesthetic decision for you to make

For an actually decent well priced EDC knives I suggest looking at ZT's and Spydercos myself.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I have had many Kershaw's over the years and I've been happy with all of them. The Kershaw Blur is a bit higher priced than what you're looking at but it's my all-time favorite chore knife. Their ~$30 knives have all been excellent.

Both of the knives you're looking at should have the Kershaw lifetime warranty. I abused a Blur once and snapped the blade (it wasn't easy). It was clearly misused and told them that when I sent it in for repair. I specifically told them I didn't expect it to fall under warranty. They charged me $10 and sent me an all-new knife. I think I paid $80 for the Blur at the time.

The lock thingy on my wife's Kershaw Scallion broke. I emailed Kershaw and they sent a replacement part free without question.

I have several more expensive knives from other makers but Kershaw is still my favorite for tough knives at a good price. Ken Onion designed a lot of knives for Kershaw. I think most of them are older designs now but he usually seemed to get it right.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I own several Kershaw knives. I used to carry them almost exclusively, but noticed in the last few years that their American-made offerings were dwindling and becoming more and more expensive, while almost all of their new models were made in China. I also had a warranty issue come up, and they wanted me to pay a co-pay of some sort for the repair. Its been a year or so ago, so I dont remember the details. Needless to say, I'm done buying Kershaw.

Lj429

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    Wheatfield
    I own several Kershaw knives. I used to carry them almost exclusively, but noticed in the last few years that their American-made offerings were dwindling and becoming more and more expensive, while almost all of their new models were made in China. I also had a warranty issue come up, and they wanted me to pay a co-pay of some sort for the repair. Its been a year or so ago, so I dont remember the details. Needless to say, I'm done buying Kershaw.
    Appreciate the honest feedback

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    I have carried many of the USA made Kershaw knives over the years and have been very satisfied. If there's any chance you can up the budget maybe 10 or 20 dollars, I think it may be worthwhile going up to a leek or a scallion with the leek being in a similar size. For every day pocket carry, I found I actually preferred the scallion but YMMV. Ive also had a blur and you used to be able to get them at a similar price point, but I think those days are gone. If you search around, I think you can find a scallion for just a few dollars more than your top end of the budget.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I have carried many of the USA made Kershaw knives over the years and have been very satisfied. If there's any chance you can up the budget maybe 10 or 20 dollars, I think it may be worthwhile going up to a leek or a scallion with the leek being in a similar size. For every day pocket carry, I found I actually preferred the scallion but YMMV. Ive also had a blur and you used to be able to get them at a similar price point, but I think those days are gone. If you search around, I think you can find a scallion for just a few dollars more than your top end of the budget.
    I've been putting a USA made scallion in my pocket every day for quite a few years now. The navy blue one... I think i paid $65 for it, but looks like they may be a little higher now. Nice knife at a reasonable price. I used to carry a SOG, but it was not as durable. YMMV.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    For many, many years the Kershaw Leek was my EDC. Then one day I splurged on myself and picked up a ZT 0450. I've carried a ZT 0450 for the past 10 years or so. Recently picked up a replacement from @Edged Tools ... two is one and all that jazz.

Loved the Leek, but found the point too fragile. But that doesn't mean I don't have several in reserve along with about 12 other Kershaw knives.

When I first got the ZT, it was the most I had ever spent on a knife and was actually afraid to sharpen it. A few conversations with @rhino cured me of that phobia.

Stay with Kershaw as long as you want/need, but don't be afraid to buy something a bit more expensive on occassion. @Edged Tools is a righteous dude who can help you with any knife purchase.

Top Bottom