• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I'm building a SBR and am looking at muzzle devices. I know that I will eventually put a suppressor on this and really want to use the Kestrel 556. Is there any new information from the guys at Huntertown Arms about when/if there will be a QD mount available. Either way, are there any muzzle devices that a Kestrel will thread onto? I can't find any compatibility info on their website (at least any compatibility info that means anything to me).

I did a search on INGO on this question and found some dated info from a few months ago, but no specifics.

You advice is always appreciated.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    From what they told me, the QD mounts are supposed to be out soon, and they should be ready before your Form 4 is even approved. So I wouldnt worry about it too much. Even if its not done by then, you can just thread it straight to your barrel using the 1/2x28 Omni-mount. Then, from the way it sounds, the QD is just going to be an Omni-mount replacement.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    There will be a QD. We are partnering with Liberty Suppressors to modify their Torch QA mount. No release date yet but it will be backwards compatible.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Well, I havent done it yet, but my plans were to chop the original FSB to a low pro. Maybe Ill end up needing to go with a shorter, clamp on. :dunno:

My guess is that the liberty can sits on top of the barrel a good amount and needs the clearance. But I have no idea.

I think that's why SemperFiUSMC was saying they were using their Mount and NOT their suppressor

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    My guess is that the liberty can sits on top of the barrel a good amount and needs the clearance. But I have no idea.

I think that's why SemperFiUSMC was saying they were using their Mount and NOT their suppressor

Just to clear this up before I say anything more, I think its an awesome mount, and I actually really like the design. :yesway:

Ok, but it looks like the mount sticks out about an inch or so behind the orignal threads. On a 10.5" barrel, there's not gonna be enough room between original barrel threads and the gas block to fit that back piece of the mount.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Just to clear this up before I say anything more, I think its an awesome mount, and I actually really like the design. :yesway:

Ok, but it looks like the mount sticks out about an inch or so behind the orignal threads. On a 10.5" barrel, there's not gonna be enough room between original barrel threads and the gas block to fit that back piece of the mount.

:dunno: It depends on the gas length system you have. The mount takes up some real estate if you don't have enough of it. That's just why they suggest an 11.5" barrel so they can be sure it fits all of them. I think the main point they're trying to make in the insturctions is that you need 1.440" of clearance for the mount.

IMG_24832.jpg

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Ok, this looks like crap 'cause I did it fast, but I think it'll get the point across as to why I dont think itll fit.

Not necessarily, you just need to find a barrel with a pistol length gas system. Or if you cut the bayonet lug off, you might have just enough real estate for it to fit.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Not necessarily, you just need to find a barrel with a pistol length gas system. Or if you cut the bayonet lug off, you might have just enough real estate for it to fit.

Ehh, sorry, but Im gonna have to disagree with you. I dont think itll fit even with the bayo lug cut off.

Im thinking maybe Itll just cut of everything in red. Will that even work?

IMG_24832jpg1.jpg

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Ehh, sorry, but Im gonna have to disagree with you. I dont think itll fit even with the bayo lug cut off.

Im thinking maybe Itll just cut of everything in red. Will that even work?

Look for a barrel with a pistol length gas system. I wouldn't hack up my gas block that much if it wasn't going to work.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Look for a barrel with a pistol length gas system. I wouldn't hack up my gas block that much if it wasn't going to work.

But I already have my barrel. Its got a carbine length gas system. :):

Most aftermarket lo-pro gas blocks are quite a bit shorter than standard FSB's.
    They usually only stick out to about here ---vvv So Ill probably just try one of those.

IMG_24832jpg1jpg1.jpg

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I am not sure if I like that style of QD, I may just thread the kestrel to the barrel instead. That is pretty bulky, I was hoping more of a AAC type QD.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    With a low profile gas block on a 10.5 inch upper, you have ~1.550 to the shoulder of your compensator/flash hider(in my case, a BC) plus the .600 of thread to the end of the barrel.

Top Bottom