• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Our church just had its first holiday bazaar today. The new member that suggested it and her fiancee are great people. But even though she handed off most of her day to day planning org duties to my wife who is on staff, and REALLY only put in hard work for 2 hours of an evening Thurs/Fri and then the actual event today for 8* hours, they both said "ugh. We're done. We wont be at church tomorrow. We're sleeping in." Dude! You could have easily checked out/slept starting at 5p and been recharged for church tomorrow easily. Trust me, I Know. I was so exhausted after devouring the carryout pizza tonight, I tried to nap at 5 but my wife was screaming at the TV watching the Buckeyes. I did get some intermittent rest. (obviously, since I'm posting at 11:45... now on my way to bed.)

And I KNOW they havent been run as ragged as me. Multiple long shifts this week, including a 13 hour work shift Thursday where I texted Mrs Monkey at 8pm to tell her I was on my way home only to get a call saying "you ARE coming to the church, RIGHT?!?!? RIGHT?!?! We need help planning." Which pushed my 7am start to 10:30p. Yet I was able to rest and recuperate to work yesterday, and then the same time these "kids" did today.

And its not like we are asking them to work hard labor tomorrow at church. They just have to sit quietly in the pew and stay awake. Is it so hard to sit peacefully and listen? Its not like they are workers who have to switch "on" to wrangle kids in the nursery or other active tasks. Just show up and stay awake. Is that so hard? If so, do what I do.. take a nap afterward if its that hard.

/rant

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    There’s a few youngsters out there that will get after it, but yeah, for the most part I see a lot of early 20’s kids come in, do a day’s work and turn tail and run. They no will power, and no knowledge that, yes, at the moment this sucks, but you’ll get used to it in a couple weeks and you’ll be fine.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I was a supervisor on the construction site…. Young workers would come in and think they could slack off or do the “easy” jobs that I had older experienced workers doing. But what they didn’t realize is the “easy” jobs took more skills and that’s why they were shoveling crap.

But I have a hard time believing this phenomenon is exclusive to this generation I bet a young worker was the same in the 70’s. I think Soft people have always been around.

edit to add: maybe there are more soft people now because of how soft the work is ? Think how many people sit in front of a computer now and all they have to complain about is the thermostat…..

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We had this one lady at our church that it was kinda her schtick to come up with ideas, get other people to buy in, and then she’d fade away, avoiding much of the work. I was on the governing board one year when one of her cousins and a deacon of the church was packing up to move out of state. She suggested “we” put on a big blow out for a going away party for them. When the chair appointed her as the organizer of the party, that was the last we ever heard of it.

I can’t say it’s an age thing. It’s a volunteer spirit (or lack of spirit) thing. Getting people to step up to get anything done is tough. I know after years of always being there and volunteering for “everything”, my wife and I have taken a step back.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Worked in a couple places this was evident, started in a foundry in 1993 at 46 years old and watched young kids work till their first break. They would never come back. Same thing in late 1990's at a bumper factory, a lot never made it past lunch. Jim.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    "We're done. We wont be at church tomorrow. We're sleeping in."
    That alone is a major problem. That mindset is growing and hurting the church; and in return influencing our society. That mindset was growing prior to covid but actually exploded during covid and the results are being felt today. Many churches added online services to accommodate the stay at home mandates but even today, people are slow to return. We have become lazy and lost the need for strong fellowship with other believers.

People want to show up for the activity but don't like to stay for the cleanup.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That alone is a major problem. That mindset is growing and hurting the church; and in return influencing our society. That mindset was growing prior to covid but actually exploded during covid and the results are being felt today. Many churches added online services to accommodate the stay at home mandates but even today, people are slow to return. We have become lazy and lost the need for strong fellowship with other believers.

People want to show up for the activity but don't like to stay for the cleanup.
    This is true, our Church already had streaming for our services before Covid so they just continued during Covid but it's just now starting to get attendance back up again. My wife and I were both pretty disappointed that our Church caved so quickly and halted services though, still haven't really gotten over it.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Nearly everyone in my wife’s family has never worked more than 8 hours in a day. This includes the 60 year olds and the 25-30 year olds. If they work a 40 hour week they are “exhausted”.

I used to work 80 hour weeks although now generally just 45+/- anymore. There are some youngsters at my office that are hard working but generally I see a lot of lazy kids (and parents).

This lack of work ethic and softness carries over to church and volunteer activities.

347F3870-6F01-4BA7-8519-5DA28B6366FB.png

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I work 6 days a week, 55+ hours. I don't get a day to sleep in. Sundays (my only day off), I still get up and get ready for church. Saturday afternoons and Sunday afternoons are my time to relax and do projects around the house. The current generation of 20 year olds don't know what responsibility and hard work looks like. I'm raising my kids to be the exception to that rule.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I work 6 days a week, 55+ hours. I don't get a day to sleep in. Sundays (my only day off), I still get up and get ready for church. Saturday afternoons and Sunday afternoons are my time to relax and do projects around the house. The current generation of 20 year olds don't know what responsibility and hard work looks like. I'm raising my kids to be the exception to that rule.
    Sleeping in is overrated

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Idk about that. The biggest POS we have at work(steel mill) is a late millennial/early zoomer but the rest are reliable, good workers. The most statistically crapbagulous demographic where I work is made of GenXers. :dunno:

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    This is true, our Church already had streaming for our services before Covid so they just continued during Covid but it's just now starting to get attendance back up again. My wife and I were both pretty disappointed that our Church caved so quickly and halted services though, still haven't really gotten over it.
    I think most preachers these days are the ones Jesus Christ warned us about.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Church, American Legion, DAV, Moose Lodge, Eagles, 40 & 8, etc etc all operate the same.
    5% of the members do all the work.
    90% of the members go along with this.
    The remaining 5% complain about what the working 5% are doing.
    Almost all of the positions at Alex 1771 Eagles are paid positions. Bartenders, Kitchen, after event cleanup, Trustees, Treasure and Secretary get paid.
    President and VP do not. They are mostly for pics in the newpaper.

Top Bottom