• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Church, American Legion, DAV, Moose Lodge, Eagles, 40 & 8, etc etc all operate the same.
    5% of the members do all the work.
    90% of the members go along with this.
    The remaining 5% complain about what the working 5% are doing.
    No doubt. I lost track of how many "You should have..."I heard from people who didnt even go to one planning meeting, let alone help.

Good thing they were all said to the organizer and my wife. I'd have said "Great. you can do that next year when you sign up to help. That will be YOUR job so it gets done right next time. "
    Like one of the complaints was "The Christmas music you chose isnt upbeat enough. Nobody shops (I think she meant spends) to music like that. "

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Our church just had its first holiday bazaar today. The new member that suggested it and her fiancee are great people. But even though she handed off most of her day to day planning org duties to my wife who is on staff, and REALLY only put in hard work for 2 hours of an evening Thurs/Fri and then the actual event today for 8* hours, they both said "ugh. We're done. We wont be at church tomorrow. We're sleeping in." Dude! You could have easily checked out/slept starting at 5p and been recharged for church tomorrow easily. Trust me, I Know. I was so exhausted after devouring the carryout pizza tonight, I tried to nap at 5 but my wife was screaming at the TV watching the Buckeyes. I did get some intermittent rest. (obviously, since I'm posting at 11:45... now on my way to bed.)

And I KNOW they havent been run as ragged as me. Multiple long shifts this week, including a 13 hour work shift Thursday where I texted Mrs Monkey at 8pm to tell her I was on my way home only to get a call saying "you ARE coming to the church, RIGHT?!?!? RIGHT?!?! We need help planning." Which pushed my 7am start to 10:30p. Yet I was able to rest and recuperate to work yesterday, and then the same time these "kids" did today.

And its not like we are asking them to work hard labor tomorrow at church. They just have to sit quietly in the pew and stay awake. Is it so hard to sit peacefully and listen? Its not like they are workers who have to switch "on" to wrangle kids in the nursery or other active tasks. Just show up and stay awake. Is that so hard? If so, do what I do.. take a nap afterward if its that hard.

/rant
    Do they post or read this forum or something?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I watch guys come into the shop running their mouth about how hard they work and they can't even make it to lunch. It's pretty disappointing and disgusting if you ask me. I don't necessarily love my job or even like it for that matter but I take pride in it and going home dead tired from giving it my all is really satisfying. We had a guy that was a bagger at a grocery store that quit because that was too hard. He was the definition of soft and weak. He was a utility doing a job that anyone could do with 5 minutes training and I literally could put anyone else on it and have them run at least 10:1 compared to him and then I'd get on it and run 15ish:1. I pray my son doesn't end up like him. The softies and then my boss enabling the softies (and the junkies) are the main reason I asked to step down to be just a regular floor guy on day shift where I can work with real men doing real work.

That's part of the reason I loved the igr so much there was never a shortage of members willing to give it their all and take on more responsibility. I loved being surrounded by hard working Americans.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I read this as I watch a old documentary Why We Fight. Its about the lead up to WW2 The change in America and it's people is profound. And very sad.
    You are correct. The youth and even the adults are very weak. With the exception of probably 5%-10% of the population.
    Good documentary. Unfortunately, the world is no longer that cut and dry.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Worked in a couple places this was evident, started in a foundry in 1993 at 46 years old and watched young kids work till their first break. They would never come back. Same thing in late 1990's at a bumper factory, a lot never made it past lunch. Jim.
    I used to do industrial cleaning back in the 90s, I saw the same but it wasn't just young kids. Guys in their 30s or older would take off at first break and never be seen again.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Take heart.

My son (17) and I started Saturday by going down to the church to load "Operation Christmas Child" boxes....the big boxes with 13 to 16 shoeboxes each on a semi trailer. Then we cam home, made Menards run, and after lunch he went about putting up the outside Christmas lights, often near the top of a 24' ladder. It was windy and around 20 degrees, with snow at times. Then, when my daughter got home from work at about 4:30p, he rotated the tires on her car. Then, back to the lights. (I was planting 2 crabapple trees I just got from the Arbor Day Foundation).

Sunday, we were at church bright and early where my son helped set up and take down chairs (meeting in the gym, sanctuary being remodeled).

...and on and on. He will do his full-time high school classes this week and work around 20-25 hours. There are plenty of young people who are willing to work. He is far from alone.

As an aside, I generally work a 5 day week unless there is a specific reason to work more (trial prep and in trial are 7 day times). However, my ethic works like this- I work 5 days for the money, 1 day for the home (in addition to evenings and some mornings), and 1 day is set aside for restoration (though I still worked on the trees yesterday...purely recreationally). I seem to remember a work 6, off 1 plan from somewhere.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I'm retired now. In my last job I was Manager of IT support services at a local college. Along with my full time staff, we employed students who showed an interest in working tech support. We trained them, emphasizing customer service too. I had some outstanding young workers. Many of them I keep in touch with to this day. Most were engineering students who went on to successful careers.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm retired now. In my last job I was Manager of IT support services at a local college. Along with my full time staff, we employed students who showed an interest in working tech support. We trained them, emphasizing customer service too. I had some outstanding young workers. Many of them I keep in touch with to this day. Most were engineering students who went on to successful careers
    My older son (25) got his start in IT working for the IT department of his college. He really enjoyed it. These days he is an engineer in the IT field working for a, ISP/cloud services/data security company.

Top Bottom