• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    Saw a Kimber Eclipse Target II at a gun range I go to often. It's regular price was $1,393. The employee I talk to the most mentioned that starting tomorrow (Sunday) all Kimber's will be discounted $200. I have been wanting a 1911 and Kimbers have caught my attention.

My first question, is could those of you knowledgeable of Kimber offer a critique of the Eclipse Target II please? It is stainless steel which looks to be a good attribute. It uses 8 round magazines. Will that make finding additional magazines more difficult? The gun felt heavy for a 1911 or is it the normal Kimbers. The weight is probably a good thing since it will absorb recoil and I don't mind guns on the heavy side.

Also, could you comment on the price. Is $1,393 a fair price and the $200 off makes it a good deal?

Thanks for your help.

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    Well the $200 off put it where the price should be......the $1393 is about $40 over MSRP, which is too high.

The Eclipse Target you are looking at has adjustable sights, but they are still night sights (Dot in front, Bar on rear). They are nice sights for range work, but not a type I would want to use for a carry gun.

The magazines will not be an issue as it uses any full size 1911 mag.....I use Wilsons in mine.
    The weight is just what an all steel 1911 weights, 38oz empty......all full size steel framed 1911s are close to the same no matter the manufacturer .

My LGS has a Eclipse Custom (same thing with fixed sights) going for $1125 , the Target you are looking at would be slightly high due to the different sights....... but that gives you an idea where the prices should be.

I have had a Eclipse Custom for about 10yrs now and love it, though mine is 10mm ;) .......but I also have 2 other full size Kimbers in 45 and have another on on order at this time:rockwoot:

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    Stainless will rust less, as the name says.....but they are not rust PROOF.
    With a little care it will look new for years.
    Stainless usually doesn't show holster wear either.

The Eclipse has Kimpro black finish on it over the stainless, except on the flats of the slide and frame.
    Here is what mine looks like after 10yrs of ownership, about 6yrs of everyday carry in a leather holster and about 4000 rds.....even the black Kimpro is holding up pretty good ;)
    This one has not been babied in any way what so ever...... it might get cleaned every 750rds or yearly sometimes......might that is ;)
    P1010034.jpg

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    if you got the cash you should just take that leap of faith on this one. of course try to talk them down a lil on price but i think i gave around 1200 a few years ago for mine, its just like the one in picture above except mine has a skeletonized trigger. its one of the best 1911's ive shot, kimber uses a different style firing pin block safety which i was unaware of at first. the bevertail disengages it rather then the movement of the trigger. it improves the trigger pull. but you cant have the bevertail compressed in when you pull the slide off during disassebly. took me time to figure that out. i also use wilson mags in my kimber and all other 1911's

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    if you got the cash you should just take that leap of faith on this one. of course try to talk them down a lil on price but i think i gave around 1200 a few years ago for mine, its just like the one in picture above except mine has a skeletonized trigger. its one of the best 1911's ive shot, kimber uses a different style firing pin block safety which i was unaware of at first. the bevertail disengages it rather then the movement of the trigger. it improves the trigger pull. but you cant have the bevertail compressed in when you pull the slide off during disassebly. took me time to figure that out. i also use wilson mags in my kimber and all other 1911's

May the Schwartz be with you.............

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    [/B]

May the Schwartz be with you.............
    ok. so this firing pin block safety is called the schwartz. is it just on kimbers??? and is it a good thing??? not trying to hyjack the thread but this is the only pistol ive seen it on. and to be honest i like it, seems to me like it makes a trigger job easyer, and the one i have has an awesome trigger...awesome.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I have the fixed sight version (Eclipse Custom II). Price was $11XX, but I locked that in in 2012 when I ordered it and then waited ~21 months for it to actually come in. Probably ~300 rounds through it; extremely accurate and no malfunctions (10mm). I highly recommend it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I carry a Kimber and have owned three of them. One thing I don't like about Kimbers is the plastic mainspring housing. I believe their HD models have steel mainspring housings.

Top Bottom