• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • causerofwait

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Does anyone near (or somewhat near) Ft. Wayne have one that my wife could try? We are trying to find her a good carry weapon and this, at least on paper, seems to fit the bill. She'll never know though till she at least holds it. Any help would be appreciated. :ingo:

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I'm not very close but I've had mine about two years and I absolutely love it. its easy to conceal, light, reliable , very accurate and an absolute joy to shoot. I think that pop guns (here in Indy) has them that they rent for their indoor range. It'd probably be worth the drive to have her actually shoot one.

causerofwait

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm not very close but I've had mine about two years and I absolutely love it. its easy to conceal, light, reliable , very accurate and an absolute joy to shoot. I think that pop guns (here in Indy) has them that they rent for their indoor range. It'd probably be worth the drive to have her actually shoot one.

She has the CZ P-01 now but thinks its too heavy and too big. Have you ever shot or had the P-01? Do you think the Kimber would be better in those regards? It's spec's show the Kimber to be shorter and a little lighter. I'll keep Pop's in mind, we make the trip down every so often.
    Thanks unforgiven!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I have one she's welcome to try if you'd like to set up a meet-up in the Auburn area. Contact me in PM if you're interested and we'll work out the details.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    My wife likes her Ultra Carry II, but she still struggles with the weight of the recoil spring. It's 24-1/2 lbs factory, and with the shortness of the slide, it's tough for a lot of women to grasp the slide and run it. Even with grasping the slide with an overhand grip and almost covering the ejection port, it takes a good grip to push it back. She was surprised with how controllable (less muzzle rise) the Ultra was when shooting it, though. She says it fits her hand comfortably, and she's working on her correct two hand grip for better accuracy at longer distances with it.

It's also something of a pain to field strip for routine cleaning, since it requires a very long thin Allen style tool to release the latch that keeps the slide on the rails. The tool is supplied, but you'll have to pay attention to the directions to see how it operates.

I'm a long way from Ft Wayne, or we could meet and let you see and shoot it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It's also something of a pain to field strip for routine cleaning, since it requires a very long thin Allen style tool to release the latch that keeps the slide on the rails. The tool is supplied, but you'll have to pay attention to the directions to see how it operates.
    It works just like this, but I don't ever take the spring assembly apart:

YouTube - Kimber Ultra Carry II

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have the Eclipse Pro Target II, it would be a complete different balance to her.

If you lose or don't have the little tool that come with the gun for tear down, you can use a bent paper clip. That is what I use all the time. Lost that tool a long time ago...LOL

As for racking the slide read this and see if it helps: Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I know several folks have had great luck with one of these. Unfortunately the one I bought new a couple years ago went back to Kimber several times (they were great to work with and it didn't cost me a dime) and could not be made to be reliable. Even with FMJ ammo.

causerofwait

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I know several folks have had great luck with one of these. Unfortunately the one I bought new a couple years ago went back to Kimber several times (they were great to work with and it didn't cost me a dime) and could not be made to be reliable. Even with FMJ ammo.

Do you think the issues were somehow specifically related to the Ultra Carry II or just Kimber in general?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I bought new a couple years ago went back to Kimber several times (they were great to work with and it didn't cost me a dime) and could not be made to be reliable.

Do you think the issues were somehow specifically related to the Ultra Carry II or just Kimber in general?
    As with any brand of any product, there's always the chance of a manufacturer turning out a lemon here or there. I can't speak for all Ultra Carry IIs, but mine is rounding the corner of 800 rounds of mixed ammo through it with nary a hiccup.

airmotive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    If you're considering the Ultra Carry, you should also include Colt's Defender and New Agent.
    My wife carries a Defender and loves it. So do I. In fact, I loved it enough to put my Sig up for sale in order to pick up a New Agent.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I'm just outside of Ft. Wayne and have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II if she wants to try it, but I will not be available for about a week to get together. Let me know.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I won my ultra carry 11 at a friends of the NRA banquet a couple of months ago. It is a great pistol. It is extremley accurate and easy to handle. I have not found any ammunition it doesn't like. I purchased a Kramer holster and it is now my carry firearm.

causerofwait

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Thanks to all who replied and to all who offered! This is part of what makes this a great community! We ended up meeting with Annie and my wife had a chance to hold her UCII. There is no better way to choose a handgun than to hold it first. Turns out that, while on paper the stats looked promising, the grip length from palm to fingers was to long. It was difficult for her (and me) to operate the slide lock and mag release. It was a nice looking gun though and Annie was great!! I do think having a single stack mag is the answer. Now for her to find "the one". Good thing gun shopping is fun, especially with the one you love :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If power, compactness, and single stack is what you are looking for, I would suggest hunting down a S&W 3913 for her to check out.

Top Bottom